Flashbangs

Is it just me or do flash bangs suck donkey dick?

@invisible-milk It's just you. They're fine. I do think in most cases, a frag is just as good. But if you don't know where someone is, lobbing a flashy boy into the room you're clearing can really make clearing it a lot easier.

@tedeski I've tried using them, but them seem to only blind people for 2 or 3 seconds where in the original game (ins2) they would blind people for about 5-10 seconds. I do think they are good for finding out where enemies are because you can hear them say, "I can't see" but the blinding effect doesn't seem long enough for me.

@invisible-milk It's probably because a lot of people take gas masks. They reduce the flash duration (I believe). That's less a flashbang issue and more a gas mask issue, in my eyes.

@invisible-milk said in Flashbangs:

@tedeski I've tried using them, but them seem to only blind people for 2 or 3 seconds where in the original game (ins2) they would blind people for about 5-10 seconds. I do think they are good for finding out where enemies are because you can hear them say, "I can't see" but the blinding effect doesn't seem long enough for me.

Flashbangs are way better in SS. In Ins2014 it would render a guy completely useless if he was looking at the flash when it went off, but if the enemy just turned around before the flash goes off it basically did nothing.

Having been flash-banged in trainings a few times (once when I was asleep for shits and giggles), the flash in every game is super unrealistic. The thing is that it's hard to actually replicate the feeling of getting flash-banged in game though, you can only simulate its results (which is you being useless for some period of time).

IRL you can usually overt your gaze if you know its coming (there's kind of a delay and a big sparking before it actually bangs, kind of like burning magnesium from those high school chemistry experiments x 100), but the blinding effect isn't really what temporarily incapacitates people, its the sound it makes. It's so piercing that it messes with your bony labyrinth's fluids and literally induces vertigo. People get thrown off balance, some even get nauseas and vomit.

Blinding the screen is cool and all, and it kind of gets the general purpose across, but you can still run around with no problem with your screen blanked out. I think a better way to simulate it would be actually kind of how Ela's grzmot mines used to be before the nerf in siege. There should be a real staggering of movement, slowing of movement, and your screen really needs ot be thrown around a lot, perhaps even reversal of key directions.

@marksmanmax I just got flashed in a game and yeah you're right they do work well, I guess the previous times I was flashed was by teammates instead. My bad for the overreaction.

A staggering and swaying that makes movement and aiming difficult would be super cool to add to the flashbangs.

@invisible-milk Also, Mikee said on the podcast that the flashbang effect is currently temporary. It'll probably wind up being more like the Ins2014 flashbangs but more reliable.

@maa_bunny It sounds like something that would work well in Escape from Tarkov (a super-hardcore fps) , but I still think the devs should experiment with this in the next patch. They should experiment with unique features before the release date.

Flashes are fine, and the effect lasts for quite a long time if you get hit by them, its just that the effective range of them has been reduced alot from what they were like in source. They have to go off ~2-3m from someone to have any effect, it might be different indoors, but I havnt tested that. Certainly an increase in effective range would be good, not out to source levels but ~4-5m would be good.

I think the visual flash is fine, but the audio ring should last longer. People who have just been flashbangs should NOT have their hearing return to normal within 5 seconds...