What could cause XML changes to not take effect?

In this case I'm talking specifically about tweaking the D-538 file in the ridge dlc zip. This used to work, but last night I couldn't get any changes to take effect, even after restarting the game. And yes I made sure the file got saved into the zip. Is there some location where the zip contents are extracted and the game reads from that and it needs to be cleared? I didn't think so but who knows.

could be many things, maybe you're loading in the zip a backed file or something from the original Maz-538

not sure i never used/edited the files from a dlc and then re add them into it

@forces
What do you mean by the original Maz-538? Have there been changes since it came out?

D-538 theyre the same i just ignore the clasification this game uses since i know the real brand of each of them lol

ok i did some testing do you use ParentFile tags?

Yeah I know D-538 is Maz 538. I thought you meant there have been updates from the devs on this tractor since its release and that's why my xml file was no longer valid. The only things I changed in the file are torque and fuel capacity. If nothing else works, I'll probably verify the integrity of my game files and lose my changes and start over.

@unster well thats not a huge change imo, torque can pass under our sight on the heavy trucks but fuel may happen check your edited files and see if the changes are there

I did check. The changes were in the zip file. Yeah I know this is a minor change. I have some other changes (for other vehicles, mostly mods) that I'll need to restore if I do the file verification. I like to tweak vehicles for more realism and/or better sounds.

last edited by Unster

Well, the file verification fixed my problem and my changes after that took effect. I still don't know what caused the problem, but at least it's fixed now.

I had some problems when I tried to change files in a .zip, it causes errors.
Try this:

• create a folder named Media in the main directory of Mudrunner
  • open config.xml in the main directory
  • add this line : <MediaPath Path="Media" />
  • make sure to add it above the line <MediaPath Path="Media.zip" />
  • create all subfolders you need for your Mods in the new folder Media (e.g. Media/classes/trucks)
  • use the folder Media instead of media.zip

You can now copy all modded files like the maz538.xml into this new Media folder and the game will load them instead of the original files as long as the have the same name. This way you don't have to change the original media.zip and after an update you just have to add the MediaPath to the config or use a backup of the config. Updates don't effect your custom Media folder.
You can set up as many new MediaPaths and folders as you need (Media2, Media3, Mod4, ... and so on)

@unster did you check to see if maybe it was the back up save files doing it (the appdata folder save contents) or maybe steam cloud sync save? i have had issues in the past where these were the problem, can not say for sure if this is your problem as well. the first i just deleted the pertaining files. the latter i just turned cloud sync off.

last edited by A Former User

@dereggen
Thanks for the suggestion, though I think I'll stick with my method. I don't get errors when overwriting files in a zip (I'm on Windows 10). In your method, are you sure the custom Media file path should precede the file path to the zip? It would logically seem that the zip contents would overwrite the custom contents.

Anyway what I do is to make a copy of each modified file outside of the game directory so I don't lose my changes permanently. After a game update I can easily reapply my changes. I do the same for mods, and that's where most of my changes are. Whenever verifying file integrity in Steam, be sure to back up your mods folder because the verification will restore all mods to original state, not just the main game files.

@8up-local
It could have been some cloud sync issue. Who knows. I did look at the appdata contents for this game but I didn't see anything there that looked relevant to my problem.

@unster said in What could cause XML changes to not take effect?:

@dereggen
Thanks for the suggestion, though I think I'll stick with my method. I don't get errors when overwriting files in a zip (I'm on Windows 10). In your method, are you sure the custom Media file path should precede the file path to the zip? It would logically seem that the zip contents would overwrite the custom contents.

There was no error message or something but some .xml files did not work after I had put them in a .zip folder (Win10).
I'm very sure this method works 😉
Mudrunner does not override files that have been loaded before, so the path with the highest priority needs to be the first in line.
I can really recommend this method as you don't have to deal with .zip files anymore, you can easily de-/activate mods just by editing the config and you can arrange each mod in its own folder. I use 22 different custom media paths right now!
Super handy, you will not go back!

hi Unster, i was dealing with this last week.. it turns out that i had 3 different 538's floating around. i ended up finding all of them and made the same changes to each xml and now it works. one place is... workshop_content_675010_ (then they are all alphanumeric) which can be a pain in the ass.. the MR mod helps, but you still got to look (i don't remember exactly where i looked. ) i'll try to find this info for you..but, this is how i solved it. __ i get this especially when dealing with the 'stock' trucks... RUFUS

@dereggen
What do you put in your custom media folder, just the modified xml files or all the files for each truck where you changed something?

last edited by Unster

@rufus
I know there are 2 instances of the 538. One in the Ridge DLC zip and one in the media zip. It appears the one in the media zip isn't used. I did try the other day to change both but it didn't help with the problem. I don't have a mod version of the 538, so it wouldn't be among the mods.

@unster said in What could cause XML changes to not take effect?:

@dereggen
What do you put in your custom media folder, just the modified xml files or all the files for each truck where you changed something?

Only the files you want to change. You can copy truck.xml files from the workshop, too. No need to copy the mesh or texture files, the game will find them.

Yes, you can either copy all files of a mod in one of your custom media paths or you can just copy the .xml file of a mod from the workshop. But if the mod gets an update, it's possible that the .xml file you have copied will not work any longer as the mod files, the .xml refers to, will get new names.
I prefer to copy all files and delete the original mod.zip file.

But then wouldn't you miss out on mod updates? I guess it's a matter of deciding what's more important. Preserving your changes or getting any updates from the workshop.