How Differential Steering Works

Have you ever wondered what "DIFF LOCK" in Spintires is all about?

The "Diff" part of that functionality is explained in great detail in this video: Around The Corner (1937) How Differential Steering Works (it is basically an advertisment, but it will be one of the most informative ads you'll ever see).

Figuring out what the "Lock" part means is left as an exercise to the watcher... 😉

You lock both whells at each drive axle, and all drive axles between themselves. So all spin with one speed. Start making turns on hard surface - you break the diffs.

In RL not each game vehicle has both locks (wheels and axles). I believe a few.
Correct me if im wrong.

And i wonder how locks are working in "always diff lock" vehicles like gaz 66, maz 538, k700? Because when we switch awd on them - all (4) wheels are locked, but we can drive it on hard surface...

last edited by Stazco

Video is just AMAZING!!!
You are right - i will NEVER see such helpful ads in my life!
I took 5 year for me in Automobile university to get how diff work.
But in fact my eyes were 50% shut before this video! Impossible)))

P.s. i imagine to have such ad in the middle of breaking bad episode))))

last edited by Stazco

I didn't watch the video, but the significant consequence of steering with diff lock on is that it's harder to turn the vehicle since the wheels on both sides are forced to spin at the same speed and thus your turning radius is wider. MR shows this well.

@stazco said in How Differential Steering Works:

You lock both whells at each drive axle, and all drive axles between themselves. So all spin with one speed. Start making turns on hard surface - you break the diffs.

In RL not each game vehicle has both locks (wheels and axles). I believe a few.
Correct me if im wrong.

In MR not all vehicles have both locks either. Some have 4WD, some have diff lock and some have both.

@unster i meant c- class awd, they all have axles lock. I m pretty sure not all of them has it, its top notch expensive feature for the real OFF roaders.
I ll google it later.

@stazco "I took 5 year for me in Automobile university to get how diff work."

i guess you know what are spools right? well like that and actually the Uaz-469 uses Spools not DIfferential gears so it should have always locked axles

@forces no, i forgot 😔

I hope there is a such video like for regular diff)

last edited by Stazco

@stazco its basically a fully locked axle kinda like a rc car with the motor right over the axle, usually it hurts the transfercase and gearbox, thats why the uaz-469 had a bad rep as a offroader because the transfercase,gearbox,engine block .etc.. were made out of cheap aluminum or other alloys

Interesting
Yes, and uaz and niva are impossible to drive at high speeds (above 50 km-h), since
transmission noise becomes ears killing.
Looks like from the same reason.