Make empty magazine more realistic

Not sure if this has already been addressed, but the user feedback when running out of ammo with a semi-auto or automatic rifle or machinegun (I haven't used them all, so can't speak to the behavior of every one) could be tweaked to add more realism.

Currently, you fire your last round and, when you next click the fire button, you hear the hammer fall on the firing pin with a "click." So far, so good--that's how it is.

The issue (and it is a minor one) is, continuing to press the fire button brings the same feedback with every press. The hammer keeps falling, producing repeated clicks. Since there is no round in the chamber to cycle the rifle and cock the hammer, the second and subsequent trigger squeezes should not produce any feedback other than the lack of firing a round. That is, you fire your last round, next you get a click on the empty chamber, then...nothing. You can't even depress the trigger. That's how it works IRL with a semi/full-auto rifle or machinegun.

Currently, continuing the clicks is a repeating cue to the user to reload, which is certainly helpful. However, tweaking it to remove the second and subsequent clicks will add to the realism.

Just a thought. Keeping it as-is certainly wouldn't cause me to complain, but changing it would (IMO) add to the experience. Great game, loving the beta!

I also thought about that, but I don't really consider it as a problem.
Sure, it would be nice to have it "fixed", but whatever. Didn't even bother me enough to create a topic, so yeah :p

@skillet said in Make empty magazine more realistic:

Currently, you fire your last round and, when you next click the fire button, you hear the hammer fall on the firing pin with a "click." So far, so good--that's how it is.

Technically, that much isn't even accurate. Any weapon which locks the bolt open on an empty magazine (ARs, SCAR, FAL, G-36, all pistols) won't even allow the hammer to fall when the bolt is locked open and out of battery. If you try to pull the trigger with the bolt open the trigger either won't move or will be mush, depending on the trigger system.

This is something where I think the audio cues make perfect sense for this being a computer game. The game needs a way to communicate to the player the weapon is empty. Yes, it's not realistic, but in a game we can't tell that the trigger response has changed - our mouse button still clicks like it always does. We have no way to feel a different recoil impulse for a locking bolt, and we can't check the ejection port in a split second. We need some other cue that the weapon is dry.

And to be super super technical, most AR triggers do make a clicking sound repeatedly if you press the trigger on an open bolt. It's just not the hammer falling and it isn't very loud.

I agree that the sound is a useful cue for the user in the context of a video game. Figured it was worth mentioning, but if it's not "fixed" (edit: probably the wrong word as it's not a bug) that certainly won't detract from the game for me. Also, your correction is correct--it's been awhile since I've been on a firing range. 😃

last edited by skillet