Give credit + points for proximity to cache.

Destroying the caches at least in COOP is a bit... let's face it, retarded right now. Everyone tries to be first. Everyone is throwing molotovs at people already planting explosives so that they get the points. NOBODY covers the guy trying to blow it up.

To fix this just make a simple, sensible change:
Give credit and points to everyone within a certain proximity to the cache. And be generous - don't make it like a 2 meter radius. Incentivize actually fulfilling the crucial role of covering the perimeter and clearing the objective area. Or at least don't punish it/reward retarded behavior described above.

Further, to avoid people being confused as to how close they have to be to get points, indicate being in the zone same as for normal capture objectives with the code-letter icon.

last edited by Pakislav

Good idea, honestly I think you should also be rewarded with an objective point if you kill a certain amount of bots around the capture points even if you're not in the capture area.

@pakislav I'd say everyone alive should just get points for it.

I lack sympathy for anybody who gets hit by a molotov while trying to rig it. If they aren't carrying explosives themselves they shouldn't be in the way of their team trying to blow it up. Rigging caches is an absolute last resort. It makes the team vulnerable by removing a player's ability to engage threats and serves no purpose other than to expend more time to achieve the same thing.

However, the core principle written here I thoroughly agree with. All players in a vicinity or even alive should get the credit for the explosion. Either would be an improvement on the current system.

Somewhat related to this is also the problem that coop is just a zoomfest with 8 people. It's nigh impossible to lose so it's just a lot of sprinting around trying to get points. Try playing on a 4 player server with extra bots, all of a sudden the game becomes a tactical shooter where teammates have value.

@whitby said in Give credit + points for proximity to cache.:

It's nigh impossible to lose

Hahaha, not for us. xD
But it's about 70% chance within 3 rounds. Blasted laser-guided molotovs!

@pakislav

Laser guided molotovs absolutely can take out a player or two. But if you equip light armour you become impervious to conventional small arms fire, so SOMEBODY should be making it to the objective.

@Whitby
Ha! Try "laser-guided molotovs can take out 4 players within a span of 2 seconds". Then add an unlucky, well-timed grenade, an RPGs, an instant headshot, a rush of 5 bots from two sides at the same time, a vehicle MG through wall and everyone's dead.

"light armour you become impervious to conventional small arms fire"

I particularly don't get that one at all.

last edited by Pakislav

I agree.

My suggestion regarding XP for playing the objective would also work here I think.

Generally, I believe we need a much broader view of what constitutes "playing the objective".

@pakislav said in Give credit + points for proximity to cache.:

@Whitby
Ha! Try "laser-guided molotovs can take out 4 players within a span of 2 seconds". Then add an unlucky, well-timed grenade, an RPGs, an instant headshot, a rush of 5 bots from two sides at the same time, a vehicle MG through wall and everyone's dead.

"light armour you become impervious to conventional small arms fire"

I particularly don't get that one at all.

Quit gagglefucking, spread it out!

And my current 'record' is surviving SIX hits this patch. Two friendly rounds from a G3, four bullets fired from security weapons, still standing and still fighting. With light armour.

Even so, even in your example, the deaths are from explosives. Gunfire is not the threat it used to be.

@Whitby
I get an impression that friendly fire has reduced damage and bots seem to go for pistols right now.

Gunfire deaths are usually instant headshots/2-3 bodyshots in the back.

And we are spread out. That's why we all die to different things. Including 4 individual, laser-guided, insta-death molotovs.

It is perfectly reasonable to shoot the guys before they molotov you and surviving multiple shots between each objective makes it a bit of a cakewalk. FF is reduced, this is true, but still. 6 shots, only 2 friendly and from a G3... Bullets need to be as threatening as the explosives are.

Anyway, I'm derailing your thread here so I'd like to reiterate that I support your core point that the points for the caches need to be distributed better.

Good idea and definitely thinking in the right direction. I would ask about snipers, machinegunners, commanders/observer teams who remain far off point to hold down angles, provide overwatch, and call in support. How large an area would you make the "reward area"?

The entire team should benefit from the team accomplishing its mission. The individual xp rewards incentivize "me first" play, and the bulk of xp is for kills, destroying objectives, and sitting on an objective when it is capped. That leaves nothing for the guys outside providing security and holding angles so the enemy can't reach the guys on point capping.

last edited by skillet

Why not just give every single alive player the same XP for every kill made and every objective captured?

It's the system already used with the XP/Levelling really. The (near) sole determining factor of XP you get for a round is how long you were alive.

Maybe even take it a step further and increase the XP awarded if more people survive. Make the objective to accomplish the mission with minimal casualties. That is a solid motivation for teamwork.

The points system needs to follow what they did in 2014. Since I don't want to go into details about it:

https://insurgency.fandom.com/wiki/Scoreboard

Not saying that 2014's scoring was the be all and end all. Takeaway here is that trying to capture objectives is heavily rewarded at least in the points sense. As far as giving points for people "defending the perimeter"? PTFO or GTFO.