My question for the NWI development team.

"You can always contact us via our Forums, the Steam community discussions, Twitter and Facebook."

Here is my question:

Is changing the weapon-balance/gunplay to match the Insurgency2014 totally off the table within the development team?

Is there any hope for a change to the current system in Sandstorm so that the medium caliber rifles (and above) can kill in 1 shot to the head, chest and stomach like Insurgency2014?

Game plays well as it is!!!!!

I guarantee this 3-4 shot kill with rifle rounds mess will be absolutely gone on my server within 4 hours of the modding tools being released. (If it's possible.)

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/32703/heavy-armour-too-overpowered/3

The questions of will it be possible and when weigh heavily on me too.

I'd love to see a poll conducted across everybody who has put 20+ hours into Sandstorm. From my interactions with strangers ingame the TTK seems to be a problem for 95%+ of people yet the forums disproportionately reflect the casuals.

So bring back AP ammo?
Or make all the ammo AP?
No thanks

last edited by ReeceAUS

@slazenger Sorry I’m just repeating what the devs have said countless times.

@Iyagovos

Sir, would it be possible to forward my question to the developers so I can get an answer? I would very much appreciate your asistance.

@whitby said in My question for the NWI development team.:

I'd love to see a poll conducted across everybody who has put 20+ hours into Sandstorm. From my interactions with strangers ingame the TTK seems to be a problem for 95%+ of people yet the forums disproportionately reflect the casuals.

I just love the way you say this.

1. You're undermining any opinion that might be opposite of your opinion by saying that the forum doesn't represent the people who are playing the game. And that it reflects only casual people, who don't play the game "seriously" or "care" or whatever it is, how you define "casual". Because my opinion is the opposite, I must be casual. Because I'm "casual" my opinion can be ignored. Right... well.. If I think about the time I've spent giving feedback about this game, I think I'm far from casual 🙂

2. "Casual players", at least in the way I define it, just want to get a quick game to relax, enjoy their time etc. They don't care about spending time on the forum. People who care, spend time on the forum. So the forum will most likely represent the players, who care the most. Casual player probably won't even spend the time to register on the forum.

3. Your amazing stats about "95% of the people I have interacted with have problems with TTK bla bla bla bla". How about the people you didn't interact with? We need just that one question to show that your number is a creation of imagination that doesn't have any solid backing. I can just as easily claim that "98% of the people I have interacted with, haven't had any problems with TTK".

P.S. Check my reply in the thread you linked.

i'd love to see if its that nobody cares, everybody that does care left, or that the ones that wine the loudest are the ones against lower TTK.

@slazenger

Found this on the Reddit AMA:

"Hi! Are you guys still aiming for a more realistic slower pased gameplay style, or a more fast and arcadey one?

We've always tried to maintain a mixture of both. We're somewhere between run-and-gun shooters and military simulators.

• NWI Alex"

Didn't find an answer regarding the bolt-action/ one-shot, etc.

@whitby 3-4 shots to kill with an assault rifle?! Are you routinely shooting people in the foot or elbow?? If you hit a person in the upper torso its 2 shots to kill vs heavy armour if you have a caliber 5.56 or higher [or a .45 pistol]. if you hit em in the legs or arms it will take over 3 shots.

@fearthemoose

Statistics don't agree with you at all. AKM, AK74, M16, M4, etc. All 3 torso shots to kill unless at close range. MK18 is 3 shots to kill in the torso at point blank range. Interestingly, so is the Glock. The M45 actually does more damage than the MK18 as it'll kill in two.

Sometimes rounds land in places other than the torso. MP7 takes 8 shots to kill in the foot, for example. EIGHT.

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/32703/heavy-armour-too-overpowered/3

last edited by Whitby

@slazenger said in My question for the NWI development team.:

"You can always contact us via our Forums, the Steam community discussions, Twitter and Facebook."

Here is my question:

Is changing the weapon-balance/gunplay to match the Insurgency2014 totally off the table within the development team?

Is there any hope for a change to the current system in Sandstorm so that the medium caliber rifles (and above) can kill in 1 shot to the head, chest and stomach like Insurgency2014?

I highly doubt it, but I will agree that some weapons need to have a bit more lethality to them. When it comes to the SS damage model, I think people seem much tankier due to the decreased damage on limb shots. In Ins2014, getting shot in the arm was pretty much fatal 90% of the time.

@slazenger said in My question for the NWI development team.:

@sawcoach
@Tooth-Decay
@ReeceAUS

You're not a developer.

I mean... I'm pretty sure you aren't, either.

@Whitby Tbh thank god the M45 and M1911 have way higher damage. They were completely pointless in Ins2014 with AP ammo.

@marksmanmax “Tbh thank god the M45 and M1911 have way higher damage. They were completely pointless in Ins2014 with AP ammo.”

See I don’t view it like that because to me it was just a use what ever gun you love best which was one of the things I loved best about Insurgency 2014 lol. On that note you say that but I saw people using the M45 all the time and I frequented the M1911 because it is one of if not my favourite hand gun! I loved using the UMP and the MP5 in Source used them all the time now I pretty much never use SMG’s. Once and a while I will use the UZI with drum magazine but not even remotely as often as I used the MP5 or UMP. That being said if and when they return as long as they are not total trash I could definitely see myself using them more often even if just for nostalgia purposes! Just one more side note one of my absolute favourite things about Insurgency 2014 was the fact that I never felt I was even slightly at a disadvantage because of the weapon I chose (even if that was only thanks to AP rounds) as where in Sandstorm I get the feeling more often then I feel I should.. My $.02

@marksmanmax

^ Is just being ridiculous about the M45 to be honest. The M9 had 16 rounds in the magazine, the M45 hit much harder. Granted, putting AP in the M9 made it beastly which wasn't a good gameplay choice. However, how often do people spend four points on their sidearm? Unless you're on one of those 40-point custom servers, the choice between the M45 and M9 is a very close one. I used both, I never managed a preference.

@planetcanada said in My question for the NWI development team.:

@marksmanmax “Tbh thank god the M45 and M1911 have way higher damage. They were completely pointless in Ins2014 with AP ammo.”

See I don’t view it like that because to me it was just a use what ever gun you love best which was one of the things I loved best about Insurgency 2014 lol.

Well, everything's viable since every gun had high lethality, but some guns were better than others still. I still often run an M45 / M1911 if I'm not planning on using AP ammo on it, and occasionally just to dick around I'd run an M45 / M1911 with HP lol.

Just one more side note one of my absolute favourite things about Insurgency 2014 was the fact that I never felt I was even slightly at a disadvantage because of the weapon I chose (even if that was only thanks to AP rounds)...

Yeah, but that's because AP was broken. A Makarov /w AP did more damage to the chest than a FAL without AP. No joke.

@marksmanmax

^ Is just being ridiculous about the M45 to be honest.

I'm a nerd, so I love knowing the numbers lol. I still wouldn't call it being "ridiculous". I want every gun to have a purpose.

The M9 had 16 rounds in the magazine, the M45 hit much harder.

76 damage as opposed to 60. Not that much of an increase. Not only that, but most of the damage in Ins2014 comes from damage multipliers, not raw damage. If both an M9 and an M45 had AP, the M9 actually does more torso damage than the M45.

Granted, putting AP in the M9 made it beastly which wasn't a good gameplay choice.

AP in anything was good lmao. Definitely an overpowered attachment, though.

However, how often do people spend four points on their sidearm?

There's a lot of people in Ins2014 who did exactly this. Hell, as an Ambush player, pistol-only was a pretty large meta.

...the choice between the M45 and M9 is a very close one.

Not really, though. Of course, you don't have to be a stickler and you can just use whatever the fuck you want, but from a raw gameplay perspective:

-> Take the M45 if you don't plan on buying AP ammo. It's better when using FMJ / HP.
-> Take the M9 if you're buying AP.

I still use both (as well as the Makarov and even the Model 10) but the M45/1911 still was underpowered.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@MarksmanMax

You said it yourself, the M45 did more damage but most damage was from multipliers. This meant that sometimes the M45 without AP would kill in one less bullet, sometimes it wouldn't. This is the "in general" assessment as pure-pistol AP plays are not the average, most people spend the point and have the sidearm which they use as such.

M9 with AP was a viable primary weapon? Sure. The M45 with AP and an extended mag was an even more viable primary weapon, if we want to sink more and more points into handguns as primaries. If anything, this opened up an entirely new playstyle.

However, each gun had their own nice, neat, tidy niche when other point spending wasn't factored, and both were perfectly equal.

@MarksmanMax

You said it yourself, the M45 did more damage but most damage was from multipliers. This meant that sometimes the M45 without AP would kill in one less bullet, sometimes it wouldn't. This is the "in general" assessment as pure-pistol AP plays are not the average, most people spend the point and have the sidearm which they use as such.

Yeah, this is basically what I said. Comparing stock handguns, the M45 definitely kills in less shots.

M9 with AP was a viable primary weapon? Sure. The M45 with AP and an extended mag was an even more viable primary weapon...

I literally just explained this but I guess I'll have to reiterate since you didn't read or something.

When both an M9 and M45 have AP equipped, the M45 does less damage to the torso than the M9. Specifically, the M45 /w AP requires three bodyshots to down a target with Heavy Armor in CQB while an M9 can get it done in two if you hit the upper chest area.

So, not only does the M45 have worse recoil and the same mag capacity as the M9 only with a two-supply attachment, but it's also weaker if you're going to use AP. It's literally less viable, not more.

However, each gun had their own nice, neat, tidy niche when other point spending wasn't factored, and both were perfectly equal.

Well, no, they aren't equal at all, although most weapons in Ins2014 did have its own reason to use it. Granted, the Model 10 didn't really have a purpose unless you just wanted to piss the enemy team off after they die to it lmao.