Feedback after 100 hours

Hello, I'm a long time insurgency player, I've been enjoying sandstorm for 100 hours now and this is some changes I would like to see :

• Making the explosive drone better because it is really a great idea.
    It's slow, easy to kill, gets stuck in random spots all the time and in most situations have a horrible pathing.
     It almost never makes it where you want it to when you select a window which is its main use.
    Otherwise it's a really cool fire support, being able to clean a room with a drone is niche but SO cool (when you see the drone getting through the window and hear a BIG BOOM, OH YES BABY!).

• Replace bomber drones, rocket barrage or explosive mortars with truck support (see below).
    These 3 fire support options do almost the same thing and security really have a big advantage with the minigun and gunship support. We should replace one of these three with a different and more useful fire support option.
    A good firesupport for insurgents which makes sence would be to spawn some bots/truck to help with the attack/defense.
    Spawn a truck full of bots which would go as close as possible to the designated point.
    When arriving the driver and passengers would get out and attack/defend the point while the guy on the mounted LMG would stay and use supressing fire until he gets killed.
    Or instead you could also make one or more trucks drive around the area shooting people with the mounted LMG for x seconds.

• Restrict commander class to level 20+.
    You need a bit of experience to play this class and if you get a bad commander all your team really is at a disadvantage.
    Furthermore it's very frustrating to play as an observer with a level 2 commander.

• Have a short description of what each class should be doing in the class selection menu.

• Giving commanders and observers something like 10 points per fire support succesfully done.

• Adding the push gamemode to competitive.
    I enjoy firefight but I always wondered why push is not a thing in competitive.
    It's the most popular gamemode and has every feature of the game, unlike firefight where you have limited weapons (no RPGs, etc) and limited classes (no commander/observer/demolition).
    If you don't add push, atleast add all the classes and weapons, not having these is a pity and makes me not wanna play competitive.
    If I want to play with nothing but AK and M4 I would play CS:GO competitive.

• Reducing the recoil on LMGs.
    I agree you should be at a disadvantage when caught moving or in CQC but right now it's just ridiculous, you can't shoot more than a single bullet accurately when standing up or even crouching.
    The main disadvantage should be having slow move speed time to aim.

• Make the movement system better.
    A lot of times I want to jump over a window or some shit and my character doesn't and I end up dying jumping in front of the window like a retard.

• Make the maps smoother.
    I love your map design, maps are really great and unique however a lot of times you get stuck, you think you can get between 2 obstacles but you end up getting stuck and having to go around them, you think you can walk over some very low obstacle but you end up having to jump or having to go around again, etc.

• Being able to switch teams and vote kick.

• Adding the "Moving" dialogue like in the first Insurgency.
    "Moving to Alpha", "Moving to Bravo", etc.
    Maybe you can replace need pick-up which no one uses.

• Being able to shoot lower when deployed on a bipod.
    You are watching stairs with your gun but you can't shoot down because your bipod is deployed... Same goes for windows in the first or second floor for example.

• Make vehicules glass less tanky but make more of them spawn.
    Something like 5 assault rifle rounds to destroy the front glass and one vehicule spawn every 3 waves even in push (so as an attacker, if you can't cap the objective, you'll get a vehicule on the first wave and on the "0" wave).
    Also make them spawn on more objectives, not only the first one (not all but more of them).

• Make the mounted LMG on vehicules have a better view.
    Most of the time you don't see enemies at all unless they walk in the open.
    However they see you very well and since you don't see them they will kill you when you look in their direction trying too find something, very frustrating.

• Make gas mask weight less.
    So Insurgents actually use them and don't get killed when you call chemical.

• Having a "bar" compass under the objectives status.
    Like this one : https://i.redd.it/uyelaw8dbhjz.png
    So you can easily talk about positions with your team.

• Having maximum 1 commander per team, or make it so each commander as his dedicated observer.
    When you are two commanders and you fight for the observer it's really annoying

• EDIT : Make you able to still spawn when you take a lot of time too load a map
    Sometimes I take too much time to load and I don't get to spawn on the first wave.
    It's particularly annoying in firefight.

That's all I could think of, I hope you'll consider it 🙂 !!!
I really care about this game and about you guys, best devs out there !

last edited by ne3zy

Not trying to disrespect but some of your suggestions are unreasonable.

For example, commanders having designated observer or maximum of 1.

The reason why you need 2 commanders is because you can coordinate attacks. One can call in smoke, wait, the other call in helicopter. Wipe everyone out on site while having cover pushing site for foot soldiers. I’ve done this with a random player in Day Of Infamy and it works everytime in Bastogne as German.

Observers job is not only to be right next to a commander but to get on site because it captures twice as fast than normal units. I hope you knew that. With that said, observers cannot always sit around and hang low.

Having a better view for the mounted LMG will mess up the balance and will make the vehicle too powerful. Mounted LMG has armor piering rounds and can penetrate almost all the walls in the game. Because of the shield restricting the view, it will maintain the balance and not kill everyone that will try to blown the truck up..

Not to metion, lessenin the LMG recoil is only gonna make it worse because anyone can hold an LMG and clear a site like a rambo. I’ve seen and i’ve done it and NWI nerfed it; good job.

Gas masks taking up 1inventory weight is good because balance. It makes me weigh the pro and cons of equipping a gas mask in order to get a supressor/compensator...etc when in Security which is what the developers exactly wanted us to do.

But I think restricting commander level could be a good idea as well as vote kick and adding some description of what each class does.

last edited by sam_KDR

@sam_kdr said in Feedback after 100 hours:

For example, commanders having designated observer or maximum of 1.

The reason why you need 2 commanders is because you can coordinate attacks. One can call in smoke, wait, the other call in helicopter. Wipe everyone out on site while having cover pushing site for foot soldiers. I’ve done this with a random player in Day Of Infamy and it works everytime in Bastogne as German.

Observers job is not only to be right next to a commander but to get on site because it captures twice as fast than normal units. I hope you knew that. With that said, observers cannot always sit around and hang low.

No I didn't know that about observers, thanks !
I'm all for having 2 commanders but when playing with random people in most game you won't get another teamplaying commander, you end up sharing an observer and fighting for him.
But for me these changes are not the most important so whatever. It would be nice to have something to fix this problem but if we don't I can live with it.

Having a better view for the mounted LMG will mess up the balance and will make the vehicle too powerful. Mounted LMG has armor piering rounds and can penetrate almost all the walls in the game. Because of the shield restricting the view, it will maintain the balance and not kill everyone that will try to blown the truck up..

You have so many ways to kill a mounted LMG.
Right now they are useless, only used for supressing fire which means shoot for 30 seconds and get killed.
A slight buff to the field of view won't break it.

Not to metion, lessenin the LMG recoil is only gonna make it worse because anyone can hold an LMG and clear a site like a rambo. I’ve seen and i’ve done it and NWI nerfed it; good job.

Recoil on the M249 was much more easier to control in the previous insurgency and we didn't have such problem.
Right now it doesn't even make sence, after only firing one bullet your cursor is half the screen up.
In my opinion LMGs should be balanced around movement and time to aim.
But hey everyone can have his opinion 🙂

Gas masks taking up 1inventory weight is good because balance. It makes me weigh the pro and cons of equipping a gas mask in order to get a supressor/compensator...etc when in Security which is what the developers exactly wanted us to do.

I'm ok about the ressource cost on the security side, I only thought it would be nice to have weight 1% instead of 3%, it's not a big change but it would encourage more insurgents to take it.
Right now most people don't take it to save weight even when it's free.

last edited by ne3zy

I see your point in widening the visibility on mounted LMG. People will still shoot it down within seconds so why not make it useful for those few moment. I see your point i agree

As for LMG recoil, In Day of Infamy, mg42 would not be able to be aimed right whatsoever without being mounted. There is another mg which I cannot remember the name of and that recoil is exactly what I feel like they implemented in m249. It’s shootable and aimable at least but the gun was to be used mounted. I have no idea how NWI will satisfy everyone..

For gas masks, what do you mean the weight. I might be misinformed in this. Gas masks are free(0 weight) in Insurgent side right?

One thing for sure is that they have to optimize the crap out of the game before even thinking of balancing. It’s a mess right now in terms of bugs and performance

last edited by sam_KDR

Push isn't a competitive mode because push has airstrikes, which are inherently anti-competitive.

@sam_kdr Gas masks cost 0 supply points, but they aren't weightless. Supply points and weight are independent of each other.

@ne3zy Just tossing my two cents.

-> Explosive Drone pathfinding is... something, to be sure lmao. Definitely needs some work and also should be faster moving IMO.

-> I'm not sure about the idea of adding bots into PvP matches.

-> Not sure about restricting the Commander class to level 20 per se but some kind of limit needs to be a thing.

-> Push isn't very competitive. Something like Ambush could work, though, if it hopefully gets added lmao. I really dislike Firefight, honestly.

-> Thank god the LMGs got a recoil nerf. They were annoying as hell to die from in CQB.

-> Jumping through windows could use some improvements.

-> Agree with the map smoothness. I've gotten stuck on some dumb shit before lmao.

-> I believe you can switch teams (don't quote me here) but votekicking isn't actually being added since toxic players can abuse the system. If you started a votekick on a player in Ins2014, there was like a 95% chance he was getting kicked off the server. Most people just press F1 without thinking too much about it.

-> More comma rose dialogue would be useful. As well as the "Moving to (objective)" dialogue, the other commands like "On The Way" would be cool to see implemented.

-> I actually agree with the Dshk LMGs 100%. The tutorial that was recently added ends kind of anticlimactically since you can't see shit on that thing. Cutting like a couple corners would drastically improve the user's view/FOV but would make him a bit more exposed to gunfire. I think it would make Techs a bit scarier since I currently look at the damn thing like a large IED charge.

-> I don't think Gas Masks actually weigh much, but they should definitely be included by default in Insurgent loadouts if they aren't already.

-> A compass would be neat, but I thought there was one in-game already? There might not be; I don't actually know The maps are a bit bigger now so maybe having a compass (like the previous Ins2014 had) would be helpful.

-> Two Commanders, like people already said, are for coordinating multiple fire support options simultaneously.

-> 100000% with the spawn bullshit. Even when I load in with an SSD, I sometimes don't spawn in the first round if I don't get my loadout picked fast enough. The old Ins2014 spawn system worked really well.

@cyoce said in Feedback after 100 hours:

Push isn't a competitive mode because push has airstrikes, which are inherently anti-competitive.

how is that ?

@marksmanmax said in Feedback after 100 hours:

-> I'm not sure about the idea of adding bots into PvP matches.

I think it could be good and we already have most of the AI from coop mode. If we can't add bots a mounted truck will do the job better than current fire supports.

-> Push isn't very competitive. Something like Ambush could work, though, if it hopefully gets added lmao. I really dislike Firefight, honestly.

Why not ?

-> Thank god the LMGs got a recoil nerf. They were annoying as hell to die from in CQB.

Right now they are unusable, even when proning they are bad.
Did you try to play gunner ?
Sometimes you will kill half the enemy team because you managed to have a great position and enemies ignore you, but most of the time you are useless.

-> A compass would be neat, but I thought there was one in-game already? There might not be; I don't actually know The maps are a bit bigger now so maybe having a compass (like the previous Ins2014 had) would be helpful.

There is one in game but it's too big and clunky, just give a little bar one like in the picture to everyone which is activated by default.

The LMGs got almost no recoil while prone, so they aren't that bad.

@ne3zy Airstrikes don't take much skill to use, and their results are not entirely (or even mostly) decided by player interaction. A lot of it is down to RNG deciding where bombs will drop, or AI deciding where to shoot. Free kills are inherently anti-competitive in a shooter. Air support in its current form necessitates RPGs, which also have no place in competitive (or any mode imo, but that's more debatable)

@cyoce how are airstrikes free kills ? if you hear enemies shooting mortars or you walk under mortar fire without taking cover and you die, you die because you are stupid not because it's op or free kill.
and why RPGs have no place in competitive exactly ?

also the commander have to choose where to use the support and which one he wants to use at which time, it's not free kills...

last edited by ne3zy

@ne3zy said in Feedback after 100 hours:

@cyoce how are airstrikes free kills ? if you hear enemies shooting mortars or you walk under mortar fire without taking cover and you die, you die because you are stupid not because it's op or free kill.
and why RPGs have no place in competitive exactly ?

also the commander have to choose where to use the support and which one he wants to use at which time, it's not free kills...

Call in an Apache and tell me that isn't free kills lmao.

As for mortars or rockets, it's again basically randomized as to when or where they land, and you have no idea where they're going to land until they actually start hitting the ground. And on top of all of that, you can die from some explosive fire support options through walls. I just had a game where some Grenade Drones killed me through the roof of a building.

RPGs can be cheesed pretty hard, so having it in Comp is a bad idea.

Yeah, choosing where to call in support is a real tricky decision when the player is told:

-> Where the objectives are.
-> Where the enemy spawn point is.
-> When many fire support weapons are flown by AI, to begin with.

Yeah. Real hard to command.

@vengefulmosquito said in Feedback after 100 hours:

The LMGs got almost no recoil while prone, so they aren't that bad.

LMGs have no recoil when prone. Bipod a PKM and you can full-auto someone at 150 meters with an ACOG equipped.

@ne3zy The commander picks a spot. Now it's out of his hands. His skill doesn't determine whether he kills someone. The airstrike AI does. He doesn't have to work for any of the kills he gets; he doesn't even need to expose himself. Furthermore, giving one player more impact on the match than any other player is anti-competitive (especially in solo-queue). Everyone should have an equal potential for impact, and there definitely shouldn't be a designated babysitter.