Clutch and gear mechanics.

Clutch is one of weirdest thing in Mudrunner. When I slowly release clutch, vehicle WONT accelerate at all! Vehicles dont work like that! On flat surface (no mud!) car should slowly accelerate! While in mudrunner it shakes like possessed and stall!
I drowe at least 3 different cars and I know how damn car works. Mudrunner is weird in clutch operation mechanics. Not close to reality at all.

Shifting gears have no meaning in Mudrunner. Real cars with gearbox need it to gain max speed but in Mudrunner gears have no torque. I can go from 1st to 5th gear in most trucks without changing gears becasue their only difference is max speed so moving vehicle on flat road slightly by using 1st gear then switching to highest gear allow it to gain max speed faster. In real gearbox that would be impossible thats why they have all other gears between! I am amazed how simplified Mudrunner mechanics are in those terms.

last edited by CoSm1c gAm3r

Modern vehicles have hydraulic clutches... old soviet vehicles have cable clutch which are very harsh during gear engagement
Youtube Video

last edited by Jnismoism

cable clutch, linkage clutch or hydraulic clutch, they all work the same, just with different levels of force needed to depress the peddle.

and all types of methods when out of adjustment (or have leaking master/slave cylinder, have air in, or have frozen water in, in the case of hydraulic fluid) will behave like in the video, i.e. the video is NOT indicative of Russian engineering, its indicative of a mechanical and/or pore maintenance problem.

lorry clutches do tend to have a more on/off feel to them assuming are starting in a low gear than say a 1300cc petrol car in 1st gear, in say the same manner as comparing 1300cc petrol car to a 2500cc diesel car, but car or lorry you can slip the clutch and starting moving has the same underlying methodology.

the problem with clutches in games, they are not the easiest things to do and require simulation and time to perfect so they don't behave like a digital on/off, but as something you can feed-in balancing supplied engine torque to that of required gearbox torque.

last edited by b101uk

@jnismoism Even if they are harder to operate that don't change how clutch works.
b101uk explained it. They work the same.
Mudrunner clutch is not close to reality. If I would drive real car like I am forced in Spintires and Mudrunner I would destroy clutch very fast.
I noticed that game encourages to hold clutch while also holding throttle quite high so truck in mud especially in swamp area to make wheels spin slower and this way adding grip and it actually makes truck move while releasing clutch and not pressing on throttle at all truck is stuck and only spin its tires so I am forced to hold clutch to get out of swampy areas.
It wold kill clutch very fast in reality. Also my damn leg hurts to do so! 😃
In reality if you would only use clutch to start moving or try to get out of mud then I think it would not be as bad for clutch as holding it at 50% and adding lots of acceleration because that would create lots of friction and clutch would burn with time.
To see what I am talking abut try first challenge with UAZ were you are on flat surface and release clutch slowly so instead like in real life clutch slowly engage transfering force from engine to gearbox thus making vehicle to move but in Mudrunner/spintires vehicle start to have weird hiccups like it would have tall bricks in front of all wheels.
Also, try challenge "Night Safari" and try to drive through swamp on 1st gear and not pressing accelerate pedal and dont holding clutch at all. If you stuck then try to get out without winch but every time you change from 1st to reverse dont hold clutch just release it fully. If you will not be able to move then try same thing but now with clutch depressed at about 50-75% and slightly pressed acceleration above that spot when vehicle start to stall. You will notice that it will help to move. I bet in real life you would have to change clutch every day LOL

I think that this clutch mechanism was created to make some extra challenge but at it worst it creates leg pain. I have g29 and clutch needs stronger force to press it than accelerate pedal.

Its a game guys ... you may have missed the irony in my post which i tried to portray via the video since it was funny 🙂

I understand how clutches work having changed them in many vehicles (im an ex mechanic)

But thanks for explaining the operation as some viewers may not be so informed

@jnismoism said in Clutch:

Its a game guys ...

After that I dont want to read more. Dont treat us all like yourself and dont force us to take games as JUST game.
I love immersion and I never say "it is only a game" under which lies some stupid explanation for any game simplifications and dumbing down!

For me games are serious fun not just simple fun like for majority casuals and other kids.

@cosm1c-gam3r said in Clutch and gear mechanics.:

@jnismoism said in Clutch:

Its a game guys ...

After that I dont want to read more. Dont treat us all like yourself and dont force us to take games as JUST game.
I love immersion and I never say "it is only a game" under which lies some stupid explanation for any game simplifications and dumbing down!

For me games are serious fun not just simple fun like for majority casuals and other kids.

Sorry if I upset your "virtual" reality kid, you need to relax a little, this a forum for sharing experience and opinions even if they differ from your own so try and respect that. No need to get so emotional.

There is problem in game, I mentioned that and some fan boy mentality just blindly defend this problem and wanting to make it no problem.... Are you serious or you are on some pills?

Clutch needs rework and geat torque because both things are not near to how real vehicles work. And saying "it is just a game" is most retarded statement in gaming industry ever. Games need to evolve and dumb defending things as they are stop evolution. We would end up playing tetris and pong if not demand and criticizm so learn to respect that or don't say nothing because here I was not writing about my opinion but I reported problem! No recent and older games about cars have such wrong clutch and gear mechanics.

Your confusing this forum with a complaints department. Nobody cares about an opinion expressed in the childish illegible manner in which you have chosen.

All your previous posts are angry, argumentative, toxic and non constructive, bordering on the line of being in need of moderation. Cool your jets!

@cosm1c-gam3r said in Clutch and gear mechanics.:

Are you serious or you are on some pills?

If he is then he didnt get the same as you.

Guys, please...
However main topic makes sense, it's carried away a bit already.
Calm down a bit, this is not helping at all, only thing that you can achieve by this, even when somebody from DEV team will be interested in problem, he will not read this because of your attitude...

I was attacked so I defended my found on this game while casual minds try to overthrow this problem and that is annoying. So people if you dont have nothing to add to this problem then dont bother posting here with negligible attitude towards this problem/lazy coding.

@CoSm1c-gAm3r said in Clutch and gear mechanics.:

Clutch is one of weirdest thing in Mudrunner. When I slowly release clutch, vehicle WONT accelerate at all! Vehicles dont work like that! On flat surface (no mud!) car should slowly accelerate! While in mudrunner it shakes like possessed and stall!
I drowe at least 3 different cars and I know how damn car works. Mudrunner is weird in clutch operation mechanics. Not close to reality at all.
Shifting gears have no meaning in Mudrunner. Real cars with gearbox need it to gain max speed but in Mudrunner gears have no torque. I can go from 1st to 5th gear in most trucks without changing gears becasue their only difference is max speed so moving vehicle on flat road slightly by using 1st gear then switching to highest gear allow it to gain max speed faster. In real gearbox that would be impossible thats why they have all other gears between! I am amazed how simplified Mudrunner mechanics are in those terms.

It sounds like you have concerns with the realism of the clutch and gear mechanics in the Mudrunner game. It's not uncommon for games to simplify mechanics for the sake of gameplay and accessibility. However, if you feel that the clutch and gear mechanics could be improved to better reflect real-life operations, you could consider reaching out to the game developers with your feedback. They may consider incorporating your suggestions in future updates.

It sounds like you have concerns with the realism of the clutch and gear mechanics in the Mudrunner game. It's not uncommon for games to simplify mechanics for the sake of gameplay and accessibility. However, if you feel that the clutch and gear mechanics could be improved to better reflect real-life operations, you could consider reaching out to the game developers with your feedback. They may consider incorporating your suggestions in future updates.