Gameplay and Gang speculation video

They should deffinatly keep the stats - I know it is a lot of micromanagement, but it is one of the reasons why I have over 600 hours in Mordheim!

They need to look into % scaling - skills could be based off a certain stat (or even two) for damage, duration, effects and so on, which would synergize well with the ability points.

This way, you can plan you character, pick optimal skills or suboptimal, because you want versatility or just feel that one skill is worth it, even if it doesn't match the stats perfectly.

All in all, they can do SO much more! 🙂

I also like how stats are used, but another user also brought up the fact that this stat system brings a stale meta of survival builds and min-maxing, which is a fair point and quite true. It's hard to find a good system, but i have to say that the Mordheim one still works and it's very solid, and i kinda like the whole "thinking ahead of time and build a character from the very start". For example, my prevalent of assasin builds with Skaven (going for high crit chance).

About the scaling of skills according to stats is something i kinda like, but at the same time can be a bit tricky, since it can make certain skills a bit broken. If worked properly, skill scaling can be extremely nice when it comes to specialize your guys. For example, imagine that you decide to make a tanky guy and invest his physical points into Toughness and so he deals barely any damage, so you make him learn a skill that adds a little bit of damage based of his weapon skill, for example.

As well, since we are talking about scaling too, i kinda wish they get rid of weapon damage scaling with ballistic skill, and i want to explain why: i really hope they beef up damage for ranged weapons in Necromunda since a lot of said weapons are terribly brutal when it comes to the damage (Las guns, Bolters, plasma weapons...). I not only want differences between them as how they feel when you play (for example, you can only shoot in melee using pistols), but also in damage since in Mordheim most weapons felt a bit same-y (not talking in general, but in type of weapon. For example, one handed weapons, gundpower weapons...).

What i mean, is that they basically you start with shoddy and bad gear and you eventually work up to get good weapons, not only when it comes to the quality like in Mordheim. For example, your gang starts with some swords, pistols, stubbers and maybe a heavy stubber, and eventually you get something as brutal as a powerfist or a chainsword, a LasGun or an Autocannon, that are basically better than the previous gear you had.

There is so much to do and to work with with the basis set in Mordheim that i can't wait to see what they might be cooking

@game-knight said in Gameplay and Gang speculation video:

In regards to the skill training, I actually think a system like XCOM 2 would be be preferable over the BB2, it would reduce the randomness and give the player control over how the character was built. What I think will be needed is to keep some skills away from some gangers, thus making them specialized in their field. Or at least have some skills that required a certain class to pick.

I'd rather they stick to the TT like BB2 did. So basically you don't really want to play Necromunda. As its TT system worked a lot like Blood Bowls TT.

I would rather have this game closer to a simulator of the TT like Blood Bowl and Blood Bowl 2 try to do.

And it wasn't completely random, it was random only in where you got an ability point, or were able to choose from the standard lists for the character. Otherwise, you picked.

last edited by Anguloke

@anguloke I think you are misremembering some things.

When a character got eniugh experience to advance, you would roll on a table with 2d6. You could then get stat increases or skills on 2, 10-11 and 12.

2 you could pick any skill table, and eolled a random skill
10-11 you could pick standard, and rolled a random skill
12 was same as 2

Now I'm all for sticking as closely to the TT, but video games are different. A system like this would be extremely frustrating as you had no chance to plan out a character and were left to RNGsus, whom a lot of people dislike!! I can't remember how manytimes Mordheims to hit system got under fire since release... Like insanely...

So I don'thope they make it as the TT, but keep control in the hands of the player (thus the added cost mechanic in Mordheim and training time)

@anguloke I think you are misremembering some things.

You rolled when you leveled, if you got a stat roll you did not have to take it, you could go to the skill tables. If you rolled a certain roll you could choose off the non-standard skill lists.

No you did not roll randomly on the skill tables. YOU are misremembering.

"There are several types of skill and each has a separate list. You may not choose the same skill twice"

Each class or ganger type had certain lists it could use and couldn't. Sometimes on the initial roll you were allowed to roll on lists you weren't normally allowed to.

And funny how you say training time adds a factor to managing a Gang, but you don't think to have to deal with not being able to perfectly min max isn't something to manage.

Now I'm all for sticking as closely to the TT, but video games are different.

No, not all of them are different.

A system like this would be extremely frustrating as you had no chance to plan out a character and were left to RNGsus, whom a lot of people dislike!! I can't remember how manytimes Mordheims to hit system got under fire since release... Like insanely...

You have no argument to claim it would be any more frustrating in the video game than the TT. It isn't frustrating at all in BB2 or the TT version of any of the games.

So basically again, you really don't want to play Necromunda clearly.

@anguloke

You're remembering it wrong, go look at the rulebook, page 87 - (forgot 3-4 is standard skill too, sorry) - it specifically says that if you rolled a stat, you could increase that stat, but if it is at it's max, you can increase another stat instead, no mention of being able to pick a skill instead - actually, nowhere does it say you get to pick a skill, it is all random (quote below for reference)

I'm claiming that in Necromunda you don't get to pick your skills - you do in Blood Bowl and you do in Mordheim. If they want to go with random skills, it's fine by me, I'll play along, but I would rather have some degree of control.

Quote:
NEW SKILLS
There are seven types of skill and each has its own
separate table: Agility, Combat, Ferocity, Muscle,
Shooting, Stealth and Techno. If you refer to these
tables you’ll see that each offers six different skills.
The type of skill that a fighter can have is restricted by
the gang’s House and whether the fighter is a juve,
ganger, heavy or leader. For example, Goliath juves
can only take Muscle and Ferocity skills, Goliath
gangers can take Muscle, Ferocity and Combat skills
and so on. These restriction are indicated on the Skill
tables on page 88.

On the roll of a 2 or 12 the fighter can ignore the
normal restrictions for his House or type, and select
from any of the Skill tables.
To determine a new skill for a fighter, pick the type of
skill you want from those available, then roll a D6 to
determine which skill has been learned. If you roll a
skill that the fighter already has or that he is not
allowed to take for any reason, you may pick any skill
of that type.

Example: A player rolls a 3 indicating a new skill for
a Goliath juve. Referring to the Skill tables he finds
that he may choose between Muscle or Ferocity
skills. He decides to take a Muscle skill and then
rolls a D6, scoring a 3. Muscle skill number 3 is
‘Crushing Blow’. This is noted against the fighter’s
other details on the gang roster.

CHARACTERISTIC INCREASE
An Advance roll of 5-9 will increase one of a fighter’s
characteristics. For example a roll of 7 increases
either Initiative or Leadership. Roll a D6 to see which
of the two characteristic increases applies. To
continue our example, a roll of 1-3 means the fighter
has gained +1 Initiative and a roll of 4-6 indicates he
has gained +1 Leadership.

However, characteristics may not be increased
beyond maximum limits as shown on the
characteristic profile below. If one of the two
characteristics indicated by the advance roll has
already reached its maximum level, you must take the
other. If both have already been taken to their
maximum level, you may choose to increase any
other permitted characteristic by +1 instead.

I'm not remembering it wrong, that is basically exactly how I stated it. That is not random. You DO NOT roll the skills on the lists.

To quote from what you just posted, "To determine a new skill for a fighter, pick the type of skill you want from those available,"

So even what you quoted doesn't support you. Again all the rolls determined is whether you got to get an stat increase, or if you could choose off a table you weren't normally allowed to. You still CHOOSE once that was determined. That is not random skill generation no matter how many times you repeat that lie.

It even stated that each type had certain list. #facepalm did you even bother to read what you posted?

And personally, I'd like to play Necromunda. Not sure what game you want to play. The Mordheim adaptation while enjoyable wasn't Mordheim anymore. And when you look at the success of BB2 in comparison, clearly fans are more interested in more faithful adaptations.

last edited by Anguloke

@anguloke said in Gameplay and Gang speculation video:

I'm not remembering it wrong, that is basically exactly how I stated it. That is not random. You DO NOT roll the skills on the lists.

To quote from what you just posted, "To determine a new skill for a fighter, pick the type of skill you want from those available,"

So even what you quoted doesn't support you. Again all the rolls determined is whether you got to get an stat increase, or if you could choose off a table you weren't normally allowed to. You still CHOOSE once that was determined. That is not random skill generation no matter how many times you repeat that lie.

It even stated that each type had certain list. #facepalm did you even bother to read what you posted?

And personally, I'd like to play Necromunda. Not sure what game you want to play. The Mordheim adaptation while enjoyable wasn't Mordheim anymore. And when you look at the success of BB2 in comparison, clearly fans are more interested in more faithful adaptations.

I guess if you just pick whatever you want to read and read it as you want to read it, I can see it is difficult to understand. Let me spell it out in another quote:

" To determine a new skill for a fighter, pick the type of
skill
you want from those available, then roll a D6 to
determine which skill has been learned
. "

Reference: rulebook

Explanation:
TYPE of skill is the TREE of which you want to learn a skill in - this is limited unless you roll a 2 or 12
You then ROLL on the table and get one of 6 skills! If you get a skill you already have, you reroll - this is random.

I would like to play a better version of Necromunda - and I feel I got that with Mordheim.

last edited by Game kNight

Woah, quite a discussion.

Still, Gameknight has a point: The rules work like that in all editions of the game and in a videogame having such important things decided randomly will definetly be frustrating for some and a no go for others. Like i said previously, current levelup system is solid and works nicely, but the skill learning has to be reworked.

Now I'm all for sticking as closely to the TT, but video games are different.

Going to have to disagree even if he's wrong on the rule, TT and video games don't have to be different.

I want to play Necromunda. Not a far off adaptation, but Necromunda. When I play Blood Bowl 2 I get to play Blood Bowl.