What sort of games do Cyanide make?
  • What is going on right now with Werewolf, in broad terms? World building? Setting up the story? Basic gameplay prototypes? Combat mechanics? Open world layout? What's the first priority when setting up the title?

It's a weird question of me to ask because yes, it's most likely all at once, but at the fundamental level I'd like a clearer image. The interviews are not exactly telling, it's giving me the usual "everything at once" sort of approach, which is honestly a bit offputting.

For those who have played Cyanide's games, what sort of game do they make? What are the real strengths they bring to a Werewolf game? What makes you a fan of Cyanide?

I'll honestly give Styx a try, just to get some answers first hand, but as a conversational piece I'd like to know what people think.

• @Rawn said in What sort of games do Cyanide make?:

For those who have played Cyanide's games, what sort of game do they make? What are the real strengths they bring to a Werewolf game? What makes you a fan of Cyanide?

Bad ones, usually - games that are plagued with technical issues that rarely, if ever, get resolved and which stop having attentive developer support after about a month. I was super jazzed when I saw WtA was being made into a PC game... then super bummed when I saw who was doing it.

The games you should probably try out to get an idea of what you might expect to see with WtA are "Of Orcs and Men" which is the predecessor of "Styx" and their "Game of Thrones RPG" game (not to be confused with their Game of Thrones Genesis game which should be avoided like it was cancer).

The RPG/adventure games are generally linear play with areas that are not fully open (paths are bounded by invisible walls). Combat is OK - they seem to have settled into using a similar system on their RPG games where you queue up actions and can slow time rather than pause in order to plan and queue those actions. The combat gets repetitive, but that's true in almost every game where combat is constant. None of the abilities you get are super unique and satisfying.. they're all variations of what you already have or a new things that is not tons different.

AGoT:RPG was actually quite good storytelling, the graphical clipping issues even during cutscenes was a bit distracting. I hope they at least bring that strength to WtA.

Of Orcs and Men was not too bad... a bit light on the story... and they seem to have settled on the character Styx from that game to be the headliner for a whole series of follow-up games which is unfortunate. I didn't like Styx.. the dialogue involving him was grating, if only because he uses excessive profanity the way a teenager does when he hasn't learned context yet... and I find that distracting. Maybe they've toned that down since... if so, someone should let me know and I may actually try out the Styx games.

• Community Manager

Cyanide works on various games from various genre, but you can take a close look at Styx: Shards of Darkness because:

• It's the last game released by Cyanide. It shows the current production value of the studio, contrary to the old games quoted above.
    • Julien Desourteaux, Game Director on WtA, was Lead Level Designer and worked a lot on Styx (both Master of Shadows and Shards of Darkness).

• Will do! I'm glad to see that Styx has a demo, and coincidentally my vacation just started, so time to put my spare time to good use.

• @Netheos said in What sort of games do Cyanide make?:

It shows the current production value of the studio, contrary to the old games quoted above.

So do threads like this one related to shard of darkness achievements - even if they've gotten better with their graphics they're still the same company when it comes to follow-up support and ironing out the bugs.

WoD is all about storytelling, and having played AGOT:RPG I'm confident that they can pull that off.. I just dread dealing with any bugs (and all new games have them) that are present, because getting those ironed out after the first few weeks is like pulling teeth out of an angry, unsedated tiger.

Views
  • Looks like your connection to What sort of games do Cyanide make? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.