AFK Concede

@voodoomike said in AFK Concede:

If the replay files manage to accurately reproduce the match then the replay files are not corrupted or inconsistent. What it means is that the parsing of the files was imperfect and that led to producing inconsistent output.

I don't doubt it, but parsing the replay files is something I don't have time to work through. I may give it a go at some later point in time, but it won't be in a hurry.

@mori-mori said in AFK Concede:

That's why people have been doing their best to fend off those who tend to be dicks from their communities, inventing all those sophisticated codes of conduct and rules, with appropriate punishments.

Hah, because you think it's the nice people who are typically in charge, or who do any of the "fending off" of anything in communities? What was the name of the hippy commune you grew up on, and how many wives did its leader have?

Historically people enact laws and conventions that forward their personal views on the world and which criminalize the lifestyle of those who live in ways they don't agree with. Even if the people doing that were the nicest folks around it'd still be codified intolerance. Remember that less than 100 years ago women didn't get to vote in the USA... less than 200 years ago you could keep other human beings as property. Less than 15 years ago it was still technically illegal to be gay in nearly half the states in the USA before the supreme court declared sodomy laws unconstitutional. Less than 50 years before that it was punishable by death in some states.

This worked pretty much fine until somebody thought that feelings of those who deliberately chooses to be a dick should be regarded at the same value as feelings of those who can control their dickness - probably because it sounds fair and full of justice, or some else equally retarded reason.

Heh, society always seems to be working just fine to the people who are in the dominant demographic. A whole lot of middle-class white men have no idea what all the fuss is about in the world today, for example.

Clearly not because it's practical and helps a community to maintain some standards in what it tries to achieve.

It's always a question of "who decides what's standard?", and the answer always boils down to "the guys with all the guns".

@dode74 said in AFK Concede:

I don't doubt it, but parsing the replay files is something I don't have time to work through. I may give it a go at some later point in time, but it won't be in a hurry.

The point is simply that "we tried it and it doesn't work" isn't really the case... it's "we tried it but didn't succeed" is. I don't think mordrek is stupid (I've actually warmed to that guy and now hold him in positive regard) but he didn't nail the parsing when you two tried to make it work, is all... or you pooched the stats... but the former is easier to fail at (given that it involves attempting things never attempted before).

It comes down to this: if the replay files accurately and consistently reproduce the matches they are recordings of, and we can tell by watching a replay whether someone AFK'd or not, then it is necessarily possible to use the replay file to automatically determine if someone AFK'd. Doesn't mean it's an easy task, just one we know is possible.

You could see in the output that it was the parsing which was the problem, and when I filtered out the unusable lines the stats worked. Not blaming mordrek, ofc: what he did was beyond what I could manage without a lot more knowledge. I don't disagree that it's possible, just not by me right now. If someone else wants to do it then I would willingly accept the help. With sufficient data to give a baseline on how most games are played in terms of activity, it'd be easier to define what is considered "unreasonable" afking and create detection methods.

@dode74 said in AFK Concede:

You could see in the output that it was the parsing which was the problem, and when I filtered out the unusable lines the stats worked. Not blaming mordrek, ofc: what he did was beyond what I could manage without a lot more knowledge. I don't disagree that it's possible, just not by me right now. If someone else wants to do it then I would willingly accept the help. With sufficient data to give a baseline on how most games are played in terms of activity, it'd be easier to define what is considered "unreasonable" afking and create detection methods.

Do you know who the author of this programm is? We may contact him/her and ask, whether he/she could provide us with a modified version of the replayer, which creates turn-time-tables out of replay files.
http://www.bb2replayer.com/

@VoodooMike:
How do you do your statistics with the replay files (the ones which you often post in the steam-forums)? Did you write a parser for this too? If so: could you modify that parser, that it gives back the information we want?

I think I lack the programming skills to write a programm which would be so helpful for an automatic implementation or something like that (I am a mathematician and not a informatician -> I mainly write script-based programms to analyze data sets -> I have not much experience with writing parsers)