COL and having to play early in the season
  • There was an interesting discussion on this in the old forum. To recap, the problem is that the winners of the racial league stage of COL are often those with a lot of time to spend playing all their games very early in the season. If you can do this, it's no magic path to success, but you are much more likely to avoid playing teams with a big TV advantage, and thus get a better record.

Can anyone think of a solution?

The only thing I can come up with is to make COL available to returning teams...

• BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

I presume you mean CCL. It will not be made available to returning teams.

Have you actually checked whether the winning teams are those which start early?

• No - and I don't think it's a huge problem anyway.

I have seen your own data though that suggests the team with the highest TV is more likely to win, so it makes sense that if you can play early many games, you have a chance to beat up lower TV teams for a while.

Just out of interest, what's the reasoning behind not allowing returning teams? (because I would like this - largely for other reasons!)

• Not allowing returning team make of very low interest the "Fan Favorite" award. Like Hudd I would very much appreciate the possibility to play a team from previous seasons. If you put ageing mode on, I believe it is viable.

• BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

You can still play your teams, but in Open League instead.

• I believe lowering the -/+ max tv difference from 500 to 300 would not eliminate this, but could help especially on Xbox1

• Community Manager

@Tizzle-Bizzell said in COL and having to play early in the season:

I believe lowering the -/+ max tv difference from 500 to 300 would not eliminate this, but could help especially on Xbox1

But you would wait longer to find an opponent. Especially on Xbox One (less players than on PC). It's a trade-off we're not ready to do.

Let's continue in your other thread about this topic.

last edited by Netheos
  • I do think you have an advantage if you can hammer out a bunch of games early on with certain races. Some races actually do quite well when down in TV (I would say skaven for example... getting a free wizard is probably of more value to a skaven team than playing a team with 150k less TV's worth of skills). Others do much better when they aren't out-skilled, like chaos. So sometimes yes, this is an important consideration.

Another issue with the COL format in general is theres a big dis-incentive for most coaches to keep playing after the 3-4 weeks mark because by then, theres a bunch of well-established leader teams who are going to be very hard to overcome, and starting a fresh team to charge through 40 matches in a couple weeks just isn't feasible for most people.

I would like to see a two-tiered season system, where you basically offer up wildcard spots to X number of teams who have the best records AFTER a certain date. This could work with LE, once we have more teams and the playoffs expand, and there are better tools to customize and format leagues.

So it could work like this: 24 teams in LE, the top team from each race across the 6-week season still qualifies (same as now). For the final 8 spots (making it a 32-team playoffs), you take the 8 teams who had the best record over the final 3 weeks of the season. Or even the final 2 weeks. Games played in the final 3 (or 2) weeks would still count for the regular overall standings, but they would also count for the second-half wildcard standings, so that way if you wanted to start a fresh team but didn't have enough time to play all 42 games over the final 2 weeks, you still have a shot. Or say you had a good team from the start of the season but your record is like 20-6-5, and the leading team in that race is locked in at 35-4-3, you still have a chance to qualify with that team based on your performance over the final 2-3 weeks in the wildcard standings.

This way, everyone is incentivized to play until the end, which basically solves both problems. First, you don't have such a big drop in player population after the first couple weeks of the season. Second, you don't have as much of an advantage anymore if you're an early-season grinder, since there will be more people playing fresh teams later in the season with this wildcard system.

• @Netheos said in COL and having to play early in the season:

@Tizzle-Bizzell said in COL and having to play early in the season:

I believe lowering the -/+ max tv difference from 500 to 300 would not eliminate this, but could help especially on Xbox1

But you would wait longer to find an opponent. Especially on Xbox One (less players than on PC). It's a trade-off we're not ready to do.

Let's continue in your other thread about this topic.

What was the reason to separate players of different platforms like this in the first place? BB, though placing some time restrictions on players, still a turn-based game, so differences in input controls between platforms can be mostly neglected.

last edited by Mori-Mori
    Views
  • Looks like your connection to COL and having to play early in the season was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.