Question about how people in greedfall treat Player in term of status/gender.

I always want to play as Handsome Prince who happen to be gay and/or have lover who is Prince (Dragon Age - Alistair anyone?). And next year I will have that chance by playing Greedfall... Thank you very much Spider/Focus.

But I have question, since the game inspired by 17th Centuries. Do people/society will react to Player differently if Prince/Princess is Gay? OR Greedfall will not bring that issue from 17th in real word to the game at all?

And what about the way people treat Player who is Royal?. I assume that some will have more respect to Player than other ... like people from our country (and my future lover too will be great). Maybe Native will not care about that at all.

Any thought/info. ?

Hi BenIIChat !

In GreedFall, gender and/or sexual orientation don't affect the relationships you can have with the NPC. The time reference is for a consistency in the clothes, weapons, furnitures, art style, ... but not for the political, religious or moral approach, it's a fictional universe (with its own countries, continents, religions and also with magic and alchemy).
From his/her social status, and from his assignment (diplomat), the main character will indeed be shown a lot of respect by most of the people (not necessarily from the natives, as they don't have the same outlook on who is "noble" and who isn't). But will also have, if he/she wants to maintain the peace (which, of course, is the player choice), to show a lot of respects to the other diplomats, governor, from any faction.

Thank you !

@mariecécile-jacq Thank you for clarify. Now I will go back and waiting for Greedfall.

the game keeps getting better and better!

Oh bro I totally feel you with Alistair, silly Bioware...

@mariecécile-jacq said in Question about how people in greedfall treat Player in term of status/gender.:

From his/her social status, and from his assignment (diplomat), the main character will indeed be shown a lot of respect by most of the people

Is it somehow incluenced by your clothes? The game takes place on wild island, not among the nobles on the "civilised land" so I assume that a lot of common ppl shouldnt initially know who the hero is if he/she is dressed like some mercenary/hunter (like a game hero 🙂 ).

Hi Farflame,

Your clothes won't affect the perception of your social status (except some specific use for infiltration). The five continental factions will understand who you are (and act depending on your relationship with them) as they know you (cousin of the governor of the merchant nation, prince and in diplomatic mission).

Thanks 🙂

@mariecécile-jacq said in Question about how people in greedfall treat Player in term of status/gender.:

Hi Farflame,

Your clothes won't affect the perception of your social status (except some specific use for infiltration). The five continental factions will understand who you are (and act depending on your relationship with them) as they know you (cousin of the governor of the merchant nation, prince and in diplomatic mission).

Thanks 🙂

You said five continental factions. That mean Native will treat player differently not just because they have diffirent outlook But also because some (or most) of them not even know who I am or see me as outsider/invader right?

Hi BenIIChat,

Natives don't have the same social system. At first some will be distrustful, other benevolent depending of their own history with colonists. Then of course they will treat you as you "deserve" depending of you choices in the game. But they won't use any "title" (like "Sire" or "your highness) when talking to you, as it's not something they're use to.

Thanks. I see. Infiltration missions were pretty nice in Mars games. Good to have it here too - hopefully you will expand on that and make it more engaging. I think that these mission would greatly benefit from more tense atmosphere where you really need to be carefull around enemies or in coversation with enemies in order to dont blow your cover or make suspicions.

Regarding factions - it seems to me that there is a little confusion between factions as "guild", groups of prefessionals, and factions as powers, organisations or nations or states. It seems to me that there will be 3 real powers in Greedfall - natives (nation), religious order (dominant organisation) and scientist group (another organisation). Mercenaries and navigators seems to be guilds that are usefull, just not really powerfull, they just work for others. Am I right?

BTW I assume that those religious order and scientist group have their own army and rule over some land, right?

Hi Farflame 🙂

I understand your comparaison with guilds, however it's a little bit different here, a little bit between. Navigators have their own island, and they are the only one able to navigate long distance and far from shores. So each nation need them, same for the mercenaries, it's a real military organisation, that allocate bodygards and armies for each factions.

Hope it's clearer 🙂
Thanks !

I understand your comparaison with guilds, however it's a little bit different here, a little bit between. Navigators have their own island, and they are the only one able to navigate long distance and far from shores. So each nation need them, same for the mercenaries, it's a real military organisation, that allocate bodygards and armies for each factions.

Thanks, Marie Cécile. 🙂 Yes, its clear now. Navigators are ok for me from your description.

However I have to say that your idea about Mercenaries sounds pretty weird to me (sorry). It means that organisations labeled as "powerfull" are heavily dependent on another organisation that they dont have full control over. Am I right? Do religious order and scientists never have disputes? I dont think so - game info clearly said they have different interests and you can act as diplomat between them. So.. they can fight each other sometimes yet both parties rely on the same faction if they need more troops. So Mercenary leaders can easily influence both parties or even decide the outcome of any conflict just by stopping sending new troops etc. That doesnt seem right imho. No powerfull organisation would let that happen to become so fragile in terms of defense and army.

Why did you decide like that? I think that relig. order and scientists should at least try to counter that weakness and start forming their own troops (initially lower quality) - then it would look more credible imho (just my feedback and suggestion to make game better 🙂 )

Also.. could Mercenary leaders influence loyality of troops that already serve under other faction?

Hi Farflame,

Political stability is regularly threatened, tensions are huge between the three factions and are only contained thanks to subtle political games. One of the complexities of this political ecosystem is precisely the fact that these nations are partially dependent, and have to rely on navigators and on mercenaries.
It's not that odd historically speaking. You can research on Swiss mercenaries (and Swiss guards) that used to be hired by other European nations.
Of course Religious and Scientists have some great warriors, but they need to focus on other aspects.

Thanks for your interest 🙂

Hi Farflame,

Political stability is regularly threatened, tensions are huge between the three factions and are only contained thanks to subtle political games. One of the complexities of this political ecosystem is precisely the fact that these nations are partially dependent, and have to rely on navigators and on mercenaries.
It's not that odd historically speaking. You can research on Swiss mercenaries (and Swiss guards) that used to be hired by other European nations.

Yes, but its not the same. Swiss mercenaries didnt supply units to all kingdoms and all kingdoms had their own units too. France didnt disband own army just because they used Swiss units most often.

Anyway I will hope you will use this ecosystem for the good of the project, especially for those diplomacy missions (that could evolve in different ways).