Male Companions in Greedfall?

I played Technomancer and started Bound By Flame, and it looks like the female companions are really gorgeous in both games, but the male ones are only so-so at best. They are quite interesting ac characters, at least in Technomancer, I have not went far in the BBF yet, there is no problems there. The artwork overall is absolutely stunning, so I was wondering if by any chance there will be a chance to get a really handsome looker male companion in Greedfall? Zach himself is very attractive, for example....

last edited by Domi

2 handsome, 1 for female and 1 for male player will be great (or maybe 1 Bi handsome male)

@beniichat said in Male Companions in Greedfall?:

2 handsome, 1 for female and 1 for male player will be great (or maybe 1 Bi handsome male)

They are all bi or at least I sure hope so. TBH, at this point I'd just want to see an attractive male companion in a videogame. It would suck big time to get another Dorian, but I will even take that.

I mean they did have Dandolo and Sean in Technomancer who were good-looking, but they were not companions.

last edited by Domi

Hi Domi,

What make a character physically attractive or not is really personnal and is different for everybody. We're really focussing on personnalities, and we're designing male companions withe the same dedication that we're designing female ones.

Thanks !

@mariecécile-jacq said in Male Companions in Greedfall?:

Hi Domi,

What make a character physically attractive or not is really personnal and is different for everybody. We're really focussing on personnalities, and we're designing male companions withe the same dedication that we're designing female ones.

Thanks !

I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but there is also the intent behind the design, and when I look at the female companions “beautiful” and “gorgeous” certainly seemed on the list of desired features. On the other hand, for males, well, I do not think it was there.

Please, do not consider it a criticism, because your artists are outstanding, just an observation.

Andrew is the only human male on the Technomancer cast, and he has a strangely deformed face with a jutting out chin, unremarkable eyes, thin bloodless lips, and he is boring to look at (to make the point, his intro looks like just another sidequest NPC) compared to voluptuous Neisha who gets introduced in a one-of-a-kind outfit that shows off all her assets, and a red-head Amelia with her porcelain complexion, exquisite features and an unforgettable intro.

While Anders in DA2 (for example) also has a longer face and nose than normal, he is obviously designed as an attractive man with warmer eyes (and yes, BioWARE does use the old trick of exaggerating the eye size, but well, it works). Andrew is not. He is mousy and nothing in his appearance hints at an exotic rogue/Smuggler like Dandolo’s appearance does. A simple swap of Dandolo's doll with Andrew’s would have made a lot of sense tbh and would have pleased me immensely. Or an ability to romance Dandolo, but that’s another topic entirely, and would have required additional resource allocation, while the dolls were already made...

Both male companions from the BBF are not good-looking.

The elven one has a strange squint and squelched lower portion of the face. He has a haircut of a male character from a Japanese anime, but none of their improbably handsome features that go with those haircuts. While the anime inspired games coming out of Asia usually do not impress with character depth, story complexity and dialogue, they do manage to infuse that unashamed sex appeal and uber-special looks in both males and females.

The human guy is some sort of a take on a bad-ass or something, he is old and bearded. If you mixed him with the rest of Vulcan's mercenary band, you would not be able to pick him out as remarkable, despite his backstory being that he is the last of the Order of the Ember Knights and hails from a far-away country. But he looks like every other guy in the game, no special armor/outfit, no different hair color or eyes, nothing. Just another old guy with a beard.

Look at the females in BBF for comparison. Both are highly accessorized and stylized, both have unusual hairstyles and hair colors, red and white, unavailable to everyone else in the world. You would never lose them in the crowd of other characters.

Judging from the screenshots, that difference is even more pronounced in Mars War Logs, but I did not play it, so I won't go there.

In other words, I cannot credit that the four female companions in Technomancer and BBF games were not designed to appeal to the eye and stand out a lot by their unusual appearances and beauty - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it - however, the three males, by comparison, seem to be designed to blend into the crowd and not be remarkable or particularly handsome.

I will certainly play Greedfall, no doubts about it, but a shift towards male companions that stand out in terms of appearance and designed to please a girl's eye (in addition to the already gorgeous female companions) won't hurt any 🙂

Respectfully,
D.

last edited by Domi

I could not say it as well as Domi, but I fully agree with her. It would be great to have more "unique" looking male companions. I'll add "sexier" looking would be great 😛
I don't like much the anime look in most japanese games, where guys end up looking very young or some times even feminine, but there are example where the guys are actually designed to just be attractive guys, like (in my opinion, at least) Gladio and Ignis from FFXV.

I am sure Spider Team will work hard to make our companion gorgeous both appearance & personality.

For Andrew from Technomancer, I think he look fine but still unique (his face & how he lost his arm). Also he has attractive smile and have good heart which I love most about him.

I want Spider team to balance budget/time for both of them. in fact, all of companion. And I am glad that is what you do right now.

Gay Player will upset if Spider make straight male more handsome than gay male and vice versa for straight girl, lesbian & straight guy player .

Important is... If more gorgeous they are = less content they get, I will vote for average looking companion with ton of content instead.

I am sorry, I do not understand what you are saying. The female companions looking gorgeous never took away from the amount of development they got. Scott was not a romance, and he had a great story-line.

If all romances are opened to both genders avatars, nobody is forced to roll a character they do not want to play in order to romance someone they like, and that's completely independent of their romantic choices IRL.

Surely, the gay gamers have never asked to keep all companion male characters plain??? Seriously... that would be a very, very, very odd request, 'cause why on Earth... ?

last edited by Domi

I want Spider team to balance budget/time for both of them. in fact, all of companion. And I am glad that is what you do right now.

Gay Player will upset if Spider make straight male more handsome than gay male and vice versa for straight girl, lesbian & straight guy player .

Important is... If more gorgeous they are = less content they get, I will vote for average looking companion with ton of content instead.

Personally what I dont want is what Bioware usually does, treating lgbtq as lesser characters, I want equality content-wise, no more deviant promiscuous bi men that prefer women, no more hide your gays trope as Mass Effect likes to do, no more chivalrous characters as straight like Dragon Age likes to do, PLOT-RELEVANT characters is important too, Bioware likes to do real life gay angst but since Spiders has confirmed that this wont be a problem is all great 😃 just queer romances as full-fledged as the straight ones, I dont usually give a damn about appearance but that's a sweet bonus.

Technomancer was a step in the right direction with Andrew and it was great as first step. Will see how Spiders treats the romance part in this game, I hope everyone is happy and after being disappointed by Bioware over and over again I prefer all bisexual approach (as long as the conversations are not gender neutral, that's important for the immersion)

last edited by nickclark89

@nickclark89 said in Male Companions in Greedfall?:

Personally what I dont want is what Bioware usually does, treating lgbtq as lesser characters, I want equality content-wise, no more deviant promiscuous bi men that prefer women, no more hide your gays trope as Mass Effect likes to do, no more chivalrous characters as straight like Dragon Age likes to do, PLOT-RELEVANT characters is important too, Bioware likes to do real life gay angst but since Spiders has confirmed that this wont be a problem is all great 😃 just queer romances as full-fledged as the straight ones, I dont usually give a damn about appearance but that's a sweet bonus.

Technomancer was a step in the right direction with Andrew and it was great as first step. Will see how Spiders treats the romance part in this game, I hope everyone is happy and after being disappointed by Bioware over and over again I prefer all bisexual approach (as long as the conversations are not gender neutral, that's important for the immersion)

What on earth does this have to do with how male companions look?

And all bioware bi males are different. Zevran is the only promiscuous one. Fenris is grumpy emo, Anders is a true romantic and a core of the plot, and Iron Bull is a gigantic warrior. Reyes is a rogue who is not particularly promiscuous, and Jaal is straight out of Regency romance. Can't see how's Andrew particularly stands out?

last edited by Domi

Yes, all Bisexual companion who have some unique line/quest/cut scene for both male&female player is great idea.

For Bioware, they disappoint me when come to Mass Effect series. Kaidan&Steve is good but we have to wait 3 game before get them in original trilogy. Andromeda they give us 2 secondary character (not squad mate) . I really like Reyes but he's only light romance :sign

Yes, all Bisexual companion who have some unique line/quest/cut scene for both male&female player is great idea.

For Bioware, they disappoint me when come to Mass Effect series. Kaidan&Steve is good but we have to wait 3 game before get them in original trilogy. Andromeda they give us 2 secondary character (not squad mate) . I really like Reyes but he's only light romance :sign

Jaal is more plot important than any other character in the cast, he is a squad-mate, and he can be romanced by either male or female Ryder, and has unique cutscenes for the male in Adromeda. Just like Reyes. And, yeah, both are gorgeous by the way, or as gorgeous as the artwork permits.

last edited by Domi

@domi said in Male Companions in Greedfall?:

Jaal is more plot important than any other character in the cast, he is a squad-mate, and he can be romanced by either male or female Ryder, and has unique cutscenes for the male in Adromeda. Just like Reyes. And, yeah, both are gorgeous by the way, or as gorgeous as the artwork permits.

Important to note that Jaal's bi content was cut out of the game when it was first released (like Kaidan in ME1, like Thane in ME2 and like Cullen in DAI), and only restored when we made enough noise. It would've been gone for good if we didn't voice our dissatisfaction well enough.

last edited by Sir Drell

And all bioware bi males are different. Zevran is the only promiscuous one. Fenris is grumpy emo, Anders is a true romantic and a core of the plot, and Iron Bull is a gigantic warrior. Reyes is a rogue who is not particularly promiscuous, and Jaal is straight out of Regency romance. Can't see how's Andrew particularly stands out?

lgbtq players had to fight for Kaidan and Jaal to happen, so they dont count. Zevran and Iron Bull are all promiscuous and deviant. Iron Bull is my favorite m/m romance, but they are both assasin/spy, they can betray you so they are deviant bi trope characters. I dont cound DA2 because of the all bi approach, but both of the characters have their baggage and love Anders and my characters are pro-mages but he killed a bunch of people (and he was promiscous in DA:A)

Gil and Steve are hidden gays in the hold with real gay angst like Dorian (therapy conversion). Kaidan and Jaal we had to fight for them. And Reyes is another bi promiscous with hidden intentions.

I'm just expressing myself out how I want my male romance options, I dont know why are you bothered that much?

last edited by nickclark89

@red-leader said in Male Companions in Greedfall?:

My 2 cents. We know the game will have straight and gay romance, that is already leagues ahead of most games. That being said I am far more interested in the story and combat and character development than what characters look like. If you want "hot" characters play a dating sim. I for one want thank the devs at Spiders for their hard work and I eagerly await further news

I do not want to play a dating sim. I want to play a CRPG, and I want appearance of at least one of the males to be comparable to that of female companions in hotness. Romance is irrelevant. I just want the looks, the artwork, the artistic concept to be more intriguing for the male companions that it has been to date compared to the males.

last edited by Domi

lgbtq players had to fight for Kaidan and Jaal to happen, so they dont count. Zevran and Iron Bull are all promiscuous and deviant. Iron Bull is my favorite m/m romance, but they are both assasin/spy, they can betray you so they are deviant bi trope characters. I dont cound DA2 because of the all bi approach, but both of the characters have their baggage and love Anders and my characters are pro-mages but he killed a bunch of people (and he was promiscous in DA:A)

Gil and Steve are hidden gays in the hold with real gay angst like Dorian (therapy conversion). Kaidan and Jaal we had to fight for them. And Reyes is another bi promiscous with hidden intentions.

I'm just expressing myself out how I want my male romance options, I dont know why are you bothered that much?

I just don't see the relevance o the romance availability to the avatars in a game to the request for at least one male companion who looks hot. Your views on lbgtq romances are way too complicated, and incredibly burdened with multiple conditions that have nothing to do with the games themselves, but with some sort of a conflict of a man vs Industry. You have an axe to grind with Bio, that's probably not the place anyway. Spiders have not even done a bi romance to start with, or at least in the two I played. Ye gods, just because Reyes had a girlfriend before it does not make his promiscuous.

I just want a simple thing: a great looking, hot, awesome, incredible male companion in a Spider's game that can look as great and immediately eye-catching as Niesha, Amelia, Sybil ad Edwina, aka the female characters. Whom that companion romances and if he romances anyone at all, is something that is more secondary, but I certainly way prefer open romances, not gated.

If you do want the males to look younger and hotter than they are in the previous games, well, say so, it's not really some sort of a bad thing, or embarrassing one or whatever. If you can't care less, well, that's fine too. If you are vehemently opposed, well, tell me why...

I'm just telling what I want, that's because I started with "Personally" and doing a comparison with Bioware is only logical because Spiders and BIoware are the only two vg developers that make cinematic gay scenes. My ideas are not complicated and way too much discussed by a lot of gaymers. If you think I think that Reyes is promiscuous because he had a girlfriend you are so wrong lol is the way the character is written and how sexually flirtatious he is. Again, if my views about lgbtq upsets you, dont read them. I'm not going to censore myself and not telling what I want. And even better, dont you dare to think what's better for gay/bi men players.

It's totally ok you want a hot male companion, like I said it's a great bonus. Myself? I just want fair content because I'm so used to scraps that I dont care anymore if he is conventionally hot or not. I think I have left my point clear so this will be my last comment about this.

My 2 cents. We know the game will have straight and gay romance, that is already leagues ahead of most games. That being said I am far more interested in the story and combat and character development than what characters look like. If you want "hot" characters play a dating sim. I for one want thank the devs at Spiders for their hard work and I eagerly await further news

@red-leader said in Male Companions in Greedfall?:

Yes, the three things you listed are vastly more important, as well as the actual content of the romances as opposed to the appearance of them.

@sir-drell Character development is a blanket term that includes romance content :p