Backtracking, Fast Travel, Quest Hand-in’s, Correspondence Question

Good folks, was raised in a discussion as a “would like to know” after Technomancer:

Did Greedfall:

Cut down on backtracking required through the same areas with the same spawns (example: Act 2 multiple returns to Elize through the two sectors in Abundance)

Are there quick travel points around the bigger maps to avoid the excessive repeat maze walking

Do the quest autocomplete, or is the return to the same questgiver as mandatory as in Technomancer?

Is there alternative means of communication, such as sending a message with the bird, like in Tyranny for quest completions or to supplement the voiced dialogues?

@domi said in Backtracking, Fast Travel, Quest Hand-in’s, Correspondence Question:

Cut down on backtracking required through the same areas with the same spawns (example: Act 2 multiple returns to Elize through the two sectors in Abundance)

I hope so. It was the biggest mistake of Technomancer together with respawns. A lot of players criticised it. Constant respawns look like you (player) dont achieve anything in game, everybody is there again, and when you backtrack often its extremely tedious to meet the same opponents again and again. It looks like filler content just to make the game longer. Pls dont copy some simplistic MMO design or whatever. I hope that Greedfall will finally correct these mistakes.

Or if you want to use some locations again it would be better to open new small area there. Some small side content to explore if you have to backtrack for whatever reason (budget).

Are there quick travel points around the bigger maps to avoid the excessive repeat maze walking

They said that campfires can be used for fast travel (like in Tomb Raider).

Do the quest autocomplete, or is the return to the same questgiver as mandatory as in Technomancer?

No. You have to return to quest giver as it should be. Some story element or next quest could be linked to this dialogue. Its story-driven game that tries to be immersive and realistic to some degree. Simplified autocomplete is bad idea suited for some simplified MMOs.

Is there alternative means of communication, such as sending a message with the bird, like in Tyranny for quest completions or to supplement the voiced dialogues?

We dont know. Probably not. But it doesnt mean there couldnt be a quest with some birds sending messages.

Hi Domi,

In GreedFall we trying indeed to cut down on backtracking and lots of quick travel points will be available. Most of the quests will request you to return to questgiver for consistency (as a diplomat you often need to discuss some aspect after a quest). But the diversity of quests you can do in parallel (for your companions, for each factions) will allow you to optimize your travel and not necesserally bactracking with some questgiver.

I hope that's give you a better idea of the game.

Thank for your interest.

@mariecécile-jacq
Thank you for the reply! It is nice to hear that the quests might be better clustered so you do not have to make a full jog to simply have a quick exchange with someone.

What about using messages for the conversations remotely (bird, holo-call, sending a servant with a letter etc) when the dialogue is not using animations and is a routine sidequest turn-in? Can it be handled from the campfire like having a paid messenger waiting there to deliver letters for the protagonist or a bird keeper? Can there in the future instalments be any magic that lets you see characters in the flames of the campfire once in a while instead of going to visit?

@domi said in Backtracking, Fast Travel, Quest Hand-in’s, Correspondence Question:

@mariecécile-jacq
What about using messages for the conversations remotely (bird, holo-call, sending a servant with a letter etc) when the dialogue is not using animations and is a routine sidequest turn-in? Can it be handled from the campfire like having a paid messenger waiting there to deliver letters for the protagonist or a bird keeper?

Devs stated that campfires will be used for fast travel. So what's the point? Instead of talking to some messenger near campfire you can quickly travel back and talk to questgiver him/herself.
Pls keep in mind that they have far smaller budget than EA/Bioware or Square Enix and need to use it efficiently. Mainly on exploration, world building, quality of story and companions and improved combat (from Technomancer). I think there is room for something new in world building (I will write some ideas about it later).

@farflame said in Backtracking, Fast Travel, Quest Hand-in’s, Correspondence Question:

@mariecécile-jacq
What about using messages for the conversations remotely (bird, holo-call, sending a servant with a letter etc) when the dialogue is not using animations and is a routine sidequest turn-in? Can it be handled from the campfire like having a paid messenger waiting there to deliver letters for the protagonist or a bird keeper?

Devs stated that campfires will be used for fast travel. So what's the point? Instead of talking to some messenger near campfire you can quickly travel back and talk to questgiver him/herself.
Pls keep in mind that they have far smaller budget than EA/Bioware or Square Enix and need to use it efficiently. Mainly on exploration, world building, quality of story and companions and improved combat (from Technomancer). I think there is room for something new in world building (I will write some ideas about it later).

@farflame said in Backtracking, Fast Travel, Quest Hand-in’s, Correspondence Question:

@mariecécile-jacq

It’s actually budget saving measure which works great in indie games like Tyranny I have quoted allowing to focus on the central story and relegate the smaller dialogues to correspondence. It also allows for more interesting writing sometimes, instead of the lacklustre repetition of “well, I’ve brought you the five (5) squirrel skins you have requested. I await with a breathless anticipation for my next task.”

The quick travel points are only good if they are dense and set you close the the questgiver without the respawns on the way, plus you need a code and a screen for transition. With a messenger you dodge respawns and load screens, and your character is ready to travel to his/hers next destination and can actually also hand in multiple tasks at the same time to the messenger to deliver without having to visit separate questgivers.

last edited by Domi