Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature
  • Will this be applicable to all nultiplayer divisions? Although I think this is a good idea (RL happens after all) could this be abused with a coach using extra (unlimited) time during a critical turn, or even through someone griefing going AFK) if things are going bad?

• @CalciumCas said in Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature:

Will this be applicable to all nultiplayer divisions? Although I think this is a good idea (RL happens after all) could this be abused with a coach using extra (unlimited) time during a critical turn, or even through someone griefing going AFK) if things are going bad?

I think they said the pause can be unpaused by either side at any time, meaning you only get to pause for as long as your opponent lets you. I'd have preferred the soft timer option, where your turn doesn't end when you run out of time, but rather gives the opponent an "End Turn" button to end your overtime turn at their leisure. Results in the same thing but also allows you and your opponent to play a more relaxed game if you choose.

• Community Manager

As said above, the pause can be unpaused at any time (even after 1 second), to avoid any griefing while still giving the option to pause the game in friendly leagues.

last edited by Netheos
  • Surely though unpausing your opponent after just 1 second if they /really/ need to pause is just another method of griefing. So the griefing opportunuty here is to actually stop your oppoinent pausing when they need to

• @MrMagic said in Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature:

Surely though unpausing your opponent after just 1 second if they /really/ need to pause is just another method of griefing. So the griefing opportunuty here is to actually stop your oppoinent pausing when they need to

Nobody owes you more time than the game allows you for each turn. There should be a mechanic in place to let people ALLOW you more time, but they should never be required to.

What I don't like is that there is a limited number of pauses... again, if the turn end was simply "soft" it'd prevent the use of pausing to interrupt people's turns and it'd let people play as relaxed as they want to in terms of timing. If I need to step away from the computer I just tell my opponent I'm doing so and he knows that's why I may take more time than my 3 minutes or whatever.... and if he gets sick of waiting, he can end my turn and take his, etc.

• I agree, thats the way FUMBBL does it which is a nice way to handle it.

I was just trying to point out that to allow either player to unpause to prevent one player pausing for ages to grief, simply allows a griefer to unpause their opponent immediately which negates the benefit the pausing mechanism adds.

• Pause feature is potentially better if it obscures the playing field for the pausing player in some way, so it can't be abused. Apart from that there's no difference between allowing your opponent to pause or play a turn indefinitely.

• @MrMagic said in Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature:

I was just trying to point out that to allow either player to unpause to prevent one player pausing for ages to grief, simply allows a griefer to unpause their opponent immediately which negates the benefit the pausing mechanism adds.

Yeah, there's really no point in having a pausing mechanism implemented in that way, especially not with a limited number of pauses as they plan. It's just more awkward and pointlessly limited than the "End Turn" button method for turns that go over their time. It's especially awkward if people can initiate a pause when it isn't their turn, interrupting the other player (as they could in BB1)... and if they can't, then there's no difference from the soft turn timer.

@SirIronclad said in Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature:

Pause feature is potentially better if it obscures the playing field for the pausing player in some way, so it can't be abused. Apart from that there's no difference between allowing your opponent to pause or play a turn indefinitely.

It already can't be abused on merit of the fact that the opponent can end your extra time any time he wants. The main difference between the pausing system they're putting in and the soft turn timer is that the pausing system is being limited to a certain number of pauses per game after which you can't do any more... so it's like a less useful version that doesn't accommodate the folks who want to be more relaxed about turn times.

The only time a limited pausing feature makes sense is if cannot be overridden by the opponent... and when that's the case there's potential for abuse, as BB1 showed.

• @VoodooMike Having a limit still makes sense to prevent people from abusing it for griefing. Imagine having to constantly unpause for an entire match.

• @SirIronclad said in Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature:

@VoodooMike Having a limit still makes sense to prevent people from abusing it for griefing. Imagine having to constantly unpause for an entire match.

True enough.. which is really just one more reason not to do it the pause way.

• the pause is really there for casual friendly matches more then anything and in a random game not everyone has enough time to be waiting who knows how long for a game after all game takes long time already so they wont wait they will just unpause and go its that simple

and to prevent abuse they have to give oppponent option to end someone could pause and leave the computer keeping paused permantly and limit the amount so its not taking 10 hours to do a match cause you have to unpause every 10 seconds yes it all makes perfect sense why it is as is but ultimately its simply for friendly matches not much else

• @Netheos

If I'm allowed to intervene... It would be really nice to have the pause implemented in such way which would allow both players to still easily navigate and observe the pitch, rotate camera etc. Also, some way to put a mark on some square and/or player on the pitch would be of GREAT use. When lately I got to explain BB rules to my friend while playing some match in base game (not Legendary, so no pause at all), we had really hard times.. Like, "do you see this orc around the center of the pitch? no, not that one, this one.. no, the one a bit further.. yes, right there! now try to blitz my other player over there..no, more to the left.. oh, it's right for you.. yea! Yea, and on push back, you move him to the left..no, to the right.. I mean closer to center of the pitch..".

This is really frustrating, if you need to explain something to somebody, or point something to him, you're just totally confused regarding how to proceed. Some simple hotkey "Put a mark" highlighting a certain place or player for a brief time, could help with such interactions immensely.

To prevent coaches from abusing this feature (like, constantly spamming marks to annoy the opposition), it should be only allowed while game is paused.

last edited by Mori-Mori
    Views
  • Looks like your connection to Multiplayer 'Live pause' feature was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.