Regarding Console Mods

Sounds like the talk of mods has gone full circle so in the interest of balance and fairness to the dev team effort, I'm chirping back in to say maybe look into some of the previous discussions on the thread as to why perhaps implementing it on consoles isn't necessarily as easy or even as desirable as many may think.

@zoglet I know it ain't easy, but would increase sales. Especially for those of us who prefer console over PC lol all I was saying was I hope it'll come to mr2 on console. If it doesn't oh well

@kingnightshadow I’m on console myself so know your pain. Still, I have to be pragmatic and recognise the challenges. I also don’t agree adding mods would increase sales. Majority of buyers will do so on reviews and advertising. I’m not saying that i don’t want a lot of extra great content. I’m saying that managing and deploying this across multiple proprietary platforms with their own licensing regulations is a nightmare. I also want only good content, not any old dross, so who manages that?

I game exclusively on PS4. I started out on PC but had to stop cause it gave me terrible neck pain whereas the console controller does not. (I was a database admin and network support for 20 years, that's where the trouble started)

Also, I much prefer sitting in my living room recliner while playing vs an office chair in the home office.

The biggest thing is not having to wait on winblows to boot up and run virus scanning for hours and install updates and generally waste my time!

last edited by diggydog

@diggydog same. When I was younger I use to game on PC, moved to PS3 cus all my friends had PS3, haven't touched a PC for gaming since. Plus I work so much I only have like 30 minutes to a hour to play anymore as it is so the faster option of turn on and play works better then my slow internet taking forever to load on my PC.

Same same. When I was younger and lived in one room and did everything on PC it made sense. Still the frustration of constant tweaking, os management, performance and stability issues, plus the constant upgrade arms race was a pain. Once I had my own apartment, I would rather sit on my sofa with my friends and play on my large TV with a beer or a cuppa. Console performance got good enough to play similar games to PC and playabiliy performance was strictly controlled / guaranteed. Some of these factors have changed on both sides since then but even if PCs are cheaper and more stable now, I still prefer sitting on my sofa, pushing a button and playing on my 60 inch TV within a matter of seconds. I’m not arguing one is better than the other, they both have their pros and cons depending on personal circumstances or preferences. In the case of Mudrunner, lack of mod support on consoles is a major con, but not enough to make me invest unnecessarily in a PC, or move off my couch XD

last edited by zoglet

@diggydog said in Regarding Console Mods:

I game exclusively on PS4. I started out on PC but had to stop cause it gave me terrible neck pain whereas the console controller does not. (I was a database admin and network support for 20 years, that's where the trouble started)

Also, I much prefer sitting in my living room recliner while playing vs an office chair in the home office.

The biggest thing is not having to wait on winblows to boot up and run virus scanning for hours and install updates and generally waste my time!

all those arguments don't really speak for console...

1. you can use wireless controllers on PC and
  2. connect your PC to your TV so you can sit in your recliner and play too (plus you can actually play in real 4K, not upscaled, on your giant 4K TV)
  3. my PS4 updates at least as frequently as my PC, so waiting for updates is not really an argument
  4. my virus scanner (if i ever even use it) runs for about 2-4 minutes, if i do a deep search (which is like twice a year) i let it run overnight anyway

@zoglet said in Regarding Console Mods:

Same same. When I was younger and lived in one room and did everything on PC it made sense. Still the frustration of constant tweaking, os management, performance and stability issues, plus the constant upgrade arms race was a pain. Once I had my own apartment, I would rather sit on my sofa with my friends and play on my large TV with a beer or a cuppa. Console performance got good enough to play similar games to PC and playabiliy performance was strictly controlled / guaranteed. Some of these factors have changed on both sides since then but even if PCs are cheaper and more stable now, I still prefer sitting on my sofa, pushing a button and playing on my 60 inch TV within a matter of seconds. I’m not arguing one is better than the other, they both have their pros and cons depending on personal circumstances or preferences. In the case of Mudrunner, lack of mod support on consoles is a major con, but not enough to make me invest unnecessarily in a PC, or move off my couch XD

same for you, i tweaked my PC once (i'm not into overclocking so i just set it up so it runs stable at decent temperatures), windows 10 basically manages itself, performance issues (as if consoles have good performance these days 😄 lol), i built my PC 5 years ago and it still runs new games on high/ultra, hardware upgrade cycles are 5-10 years (depending on how much you spend initially), which is around the same for consoles.

the sofa argument doesn't count (see above)

the only argument i can see where you have a point is price, hardware prices have gone unnecessarily high in the last few years, especially GPUs and RAM, but they've calmed down a bit

@hydrowasul sofa argument does count, otherwise I wouldn’t have made it. Money is not an issue. Convenience and usability is. I have already noted that everyone has their own preference. Mine is to not navigate a user interface not designed for TV experience through a TV experience.

@zoglet that's what steam's big picture mode is for, i occasionally use that when playing couch-coop games on the TV when friends are over, it's made to be used with a controller

So mods for consoles confirmed in Snowrunner! Great!

@Jayson
Twitter:
SnowRunner
@PlayMudRunner
·
14 ч
We’ve worked a lot on the mod structure in SnowRunner and this will benefit to all platforms. We’re dedicated to bring mods on consoles post-launch. We’ll share more about that closer to release.

There are two types of mods that can be used with your console. These are the modded consoles and the non-modded consoles.