Rock Generators for Map Makers

Here's some Rock Generators I found that may be useful for map makers.

aa_rockGen 1.0 – maxscript
Procedural rock generator for production and real time environments.

Debris Maker 2.0
Free to use procedural geometry generation tool for 3dsMax
Creates Rocks and other stuff.

There is also a site that has a bunch of stuff but you have to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. It looks like it would be useful.

Quixel Megascans
There is some free stuff I found too. You can adjust the downloads to either 8k textures or lower. The rocks come in .fbx to import into Max and they have LODs so you can use lower poly rocks.

I think this could be useful and hope it helps some map makers.

last edited by Tattoo

Here's a free rock I found on this site.

Cracked Rock
Check the [Download Settings] on the bottom left to change what size textures you get with it. It's set to 8k but you can change it to lower resolution.

0_1512418848844_Cracked Rock.jpg

last edited by Tattoo

Here's another MaxScript someone may find useful.

aa_stonePlacementTools 1.0 for 3dStudio Max

alt text

@tattoo WOW, Still though, not learning anything on max for a video game.

@roughrider said in Rock Generators for Map Makers:

@tattoo WOW, Still though, not learning anything on max for a video game.

That's fine but you do know that most video game content is created thru a 3d program, right? 3dsMax does have a very high leaning curve tho so I understand where you're coming from.

@tattoo I do. I actually have max, and I'm thinking about trying this out, but then I'll need something like substance painter, and then to make it work in game... theres coding. Alot of work get involved with this process. Is there another program/plugin you recommend for texturing?

Is there another program/plugin you recommend for texturing?

Yes, it is a lot of work and can be very involved and depending on what programs you have available, it can be quite expensive as some of these programs have a high price tag on them.

As for the any other programs, I'm liking what Substance Painter can do. I've always used Photoshop and created my textures thru that but it's tedious because you have to overlay a lot of images to get the effect that substance does.

If you use Photoshop, the only plugin I can recommend is the .dds plugin from Nvidia to edit and/or create .dds texture files.

To view .dds, I use Irfanview.

@tattoo Sounds like substance is the way to go. I know photoshop isn't the best for lining things up on a 3d model. Anyway, i guess there is no way to NOT UV map?

Anyway, i guess there is no way to NOT UV map?

No, not really unless you want your model to look like crap. The higher the pixel density, the more texture information you can place on your model and better shadow info. With lower pixel density, you only get a couple pixels for shadows and/or color and that doesn't look so hot. Too blotchy.