Improve/Provide an API to manipulate leagues.

Hello @Netheos/Cyanide

over several discussions (with Dode), it has become apparent that certain features that are already existent in the game would be useful to be usable already through an additional API to help them admin the CCL.

The features I have identified so far:

• removing a team from a competition
  • banning a coach from entering a competition for a season
  • banning a coach from entering a competition for several seasons
    and, additionally
  • re-adding a removed team to a competition that otherwise only accepts fresh teams (e.g. when it was removed by accident)

If these features existed in form of a public API (of course involving credentials), manual work of the admin staff could probably be reduced significantly, reducing the risk of human error, allowing higher frequency of banning.

Community Manager

Hi, thanks for your message. All these features are already available through a web page accessible only to the admin team of the Champion Ladders and Cups. Except maybe the last one where coaches have to re enter in the competition manually.

@netheos said in Improve/Provide an API to manipulate leagues.:

All these features are already available through a web page accessible only to the admin team of the Champion Ladders and Cups. Except maybe the last one where coaches have to re enter in the competition manually.

API means Application Programming Interface, which, in short, means a system that allows outside software to use those functions without any human assistance. So while those features may be available manually for those admins, the OP is asking for the ability for outside apps to access them on those people's behalf.

The point, I assume, is so that programs can be created to automate some of the admin's duties that would otherwise be time-consuming manual work.... though I imagine it'd be a suggestion better received from one of those admins rather than someone who wouldn't have access to those functions in either case.

@netheos
Thank you for your fast response.

I guess if it is available as a web-interface, that web-interface already needs to use an API via HTTP/SOAP/REST requests. Would it be possible to publish the relevant interface description so that an automation would be easier without having to reverse-engineer it from the web-interface code?

Community Manager

@ugh said in Improve/Provide an API to manipulate leagues.:

@netheos
Thank you for your fast response.

I guess if it is available as a web-interface, that web-interface already needs to use an API via HTTP/SOAP/REST requests. Would it be possible to publish the relevant interface description so that an automation would be easier without having to reverse-engineer it from the web-interface code?

I'll ask to Cyanide about that.

@netheos said in Improve/Provide an API to manipulate leagues.:

I'll ask to Cyanide about that.

You may want to wait until the admins themselves ask for the feature, since you'd never make the API available to non-admins, and what Ugh is pushing for is the ability to pressure them into doing things they have thus far refused to do manually.

I'm just quoting Dode here from a thread that induced me to raise this issue:

"An API would be wonderful. I heard vague talk of one a couple of years back but nothing beyond what we already have (which I use, and which mordrek uses for Goblinspy) has been produced. The web interface is... not wonderful, either."

So, no, it has nothing to do with me wanting to push anything but of asking whether an improvement is possible that might benefit the admins of a game that I love to play. So sue me.

BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

We've asked. I understand why it is not a top priority for them (or at least has not been up to LE release). I am somewhat hopeful that some of these issues can be revisited.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.