Introducing Speed Reloading!
Community Manager

Hi all!

We're ducking in here today to show you how speed reloading works in Insurgency: Sandstorm, as well as our staged reload system.

Players will have access to two types of reload, a fast reload and a tactical reload. The fast reload enables players to have a magazine ready to go very quickly, but causes the player to drop the magazine on the ground, losing the ammo. If a player has time, however, they can opt to do a tactical reload, meaning that the magazine will get placed back into the jacket for use later, but at the cost of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGjcLPYN1pU

Thanks!

last edited by Iyagovos

Looks amazing! Can I ask then, would I be wrong to presume that there's some kind of inventory system in play here, or is the ammo from a pool?

Community Manager

@jambo said in Introducing Speed Reloading!:

Looks amazing! Can I ask then, would I be wrong to presume that there's some kind of inventory system in play here, or is the ammo from a pool?

Each magazine has its own ammo count. Even when they drop on the floor and are picked up.

last edited by Netheos

Excellent! Is that tracked for all players and AI or just for player's? For example does that mean if the enemy AI has an RPG, with 1 in the tube will it be ready to fire on pick up?

New World Interactive

@jambo said in Introducing Speed Reloading!:

Excellent! Is that tracked for all players and AI or just for player's? For example does that mean if the enemy AI has an RPG, with 1 in the tube will it be ready to fire on pick up?

Hey Jambo,

Thanks for your question. All of the ammunition in a weapon is tracked for both AI and players. So if a weapon is dropped, the game will remember the ammo it had in it when picked up again.

I'd like to clarify what Netheos said too, just so nothing is misunderstood. As of now we have no plans to allow people to pick up actual magazines dropped from Speed Reloads off of the floor. It's an interesting idea but this might have some imbalance implications. We like the idea that a Speed Reload has a penalty of losing the rounds left in that magazine. We'll see about it in testing though.

I think detail like this really makes a shooter immersive and truly fantastic! But you guys failed a tad with the reload.. The slide won't lock back without the magazine in pushing up on the slide-lock unless the user was holding it up.

It would merely cycle the action normally, round fires, slide moves back to pick up another round, slide closes as there is no magazine in the magwell to a) strip a round from and b) push up so it can lock it open if there is no round. The next pull of the trigger would cause the hammer to fall on an empty chamber, and you'd have to rack it again once next magazine is put in.

Outside of that minor (yet kind of major) thing, it looks excellent.

edit; I just got far enough in the recent update post and saw you guys are aware of it xD

last edited by Mainfold

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.