Introducing Speed Reloading!

Hi all!

We're ducking in here today to show you how speed reloading works in Insurgency: Sandstorm, as well as our staged reload system.

Players will have access to two types of reload, a fast reload and a tactical reload. The fast reload enables players to have a magazine ready to go very quickly, but causes the player to drop the magazine on the ground, losing the ammo. If a player has time, however, they can opt to do a tactical reload, meaning that the magazine will get placed back into the jacket for use later, but at the cost of speed.

Youtube Video

Thanks!

last edited by Iyagovos

Looks amazing! Can I ask then, would I be wrong to presume that there's some kind of inventory system in play here, or is the ammo from a pool?

@jambo said in Introducing Speed Reloading!:

Looks amazing! Can I ask then, would I be wrong to presume that there's some kind of inventory system in play here, or is the ammo from a pool?

Each magazine has its own ammo count. Even when they drop on the floor and are picked up.

last edited by Netheos

Excellent! Is that tracked for all players and AI or just for player's? For example does that mean if the enemy AI has an RPG, with 1 in the tube will it be ready to fire on pick up?

@jambo said in Introducing Speed Reloading!:

Excellent! Is that tracked for all players and AI or just for player's? For example does that mean if the enemy AI has an RPG, with 1 in the tube will it be ready to fire on pick up?

Hey Jambo,

Thanks for your question. All of the ammunition in a weapon is tracked for both AI and players. So if a weapon is dropped, the game will remember the ammo it had in it when picked up again.

I'd like to clarify what Netheos said too, just so nothing is misunderstood. As of now we have no plans to allow people to pick up actual magazines dropped from Speed Reloads off of the floor. It's an interesting idea but this might have some imbalance implications. We like the idea that a Speed Reload has a penalty of losing the rounds left in that magazine. We'll see about it in testing though.

I think detail like this really makes a shooter immersive and truly fantastic! But you guys failed a tad with the reload.. The slide won't lock back without the magazine in pushing up on the slide-lock unless the user was holding it up.

It would merely cycle the action normally, round fires, slide moves back to pick up another round, slide closes as there is no magazine in the magwell to a) strip a round from and b) push up so it can lock it open if there is no round. The next pull of the trigger would cause the hammer to fall on an empty chamber, and you'd have to rack it again once next magazine is put in.

Outside of that minor (yet kind of major) thing, it looks excellent.

edit; I just got far enough in the recent update post and saw you guys are aware of it xD

last edited by Mainfold

@iyagovos I can barely notice the difference in speed. It's like 0.5 secods. Make it bigger.

Really looking forward to these mechanics, it seems like A.I. would know when you are reloading in the original game so this will be a welcomed change to swapping weapons for a lone straggler AI.

I guess that answers those complains about slow reload speed 🙂

@werefox When the reloads themselves are three seconds and you're at an immediate risk of being killed, that seems like a great difference in speed to me.

Very cool! Escape From Tarkov was the first modern game I've known to have implemented this. Glad other devs are doing their best to introduce cool mechanics like this!

Very nice, something I've wanted to see in an FPS for some time but one question; how does the player choose to do a speed or normal reload in the game? Will it be between two keybinds or will it be though Holding the reload key or something to do a speed reload?

Slightly offtopic but one other thing I would like to see is having some kind of "panic reload" speed where not only would you drop your old mag like the speed reload, but you would also skip some stages like "forward assists" that are trained into solider's reloading techniques on some weapons (like the L85A2 and M16/M4 series I know this is trained on, mainly because of the horrible jams their earlier versions suffered from) that while not totally necessary, do help to prevent the weapon from jamming and if you chose to do this reload, could mean the weapon might jam afterwards? You could also make this reload be slightly faster in all aspects of movement with also a chance of the mag missing its slot since your trying to rush things, ending up costing you more time than this reload would normally take? Could maybe trigger it with having the player spams (constantly tapping) the reload key over and over until the reload is complete (or near to completion) and maybe, if possible, have it possible to trigger 1/2 way through a normal (or fast) reload if he sees an enemy approach or something but dunno if your animation engine is capable of that or not but would be pretty awesome if it was!

Anyways just some ideas, loving the game so far and keep up the awesome work! 😄

You press R once to reload normally, and double tap it to do a speed reload.