Fanatec wheel CSW doesn't work in MUDRUNNER on Xbox One

I purchased the MUDRUNNER game yesterday because of the news that (finally) the NEW (2nd ?) update would support wheel(s) on consoles. I have the Fanatec CSW base 2.5 with the CSL Steering Wheel P1 (a wheel that is directly Xbox One compatible) on Xbox One. Also the information that comes with the new Mudrunner update confirms that the Fanatec brand is supported.

However, after installing the game/update I was in for a big surprise; It was impossible to use my wheel at all; When I press the X or A button nothing happens. I tried different restarts, were I started my wheel after I fired up the Xbox One and vice versa. That said, my wheel works flawless with all other titles I own ( Assetto Corsa, Forza 7, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4, WRC 7, Project Cars 2, The Crew) so no problems there.

Now I don't know for sure if the new update has allready gone life in all of Europe (I live in The Netherlands) or only in other parts of the world, but I installed Mudrunner on tuesday, around 17:30 hours when I found out there was NO support at all.

If the update is life and is supposed to be installed, you can say I'm very disappointed.

Like to get some support.

i have the same problem as you , if your wheel was supported you need to get in main menu , next ,,steering,, and mark by your xbox pad ,,use this device like main device ,, and exit steering menu , for me it works

@ifrompoland said in Fanatec wheel CSW doesn't work in MUDRUNNER on Xbox One:

i have the same problem as you , if your wheel was supported you need to get in main menu , next ,,steering,, and mark by your xbox pad ,,use this device like main device ,, and exit steering menu , for me it works

Thanks for your reaction! I understand you had this problem too and solved it on PS4?

What I don't understand is; If wheels are supported by SPINTIRES MUDRUNNER, why do I have to first change things through the 'main menu' of my Xbox One? No other driving game gives me problems; I start my Xbox One and wheel and I can start playing/driving the game of choice.

(My opinion) Your solution makes it very complicated every time I want play the game with my wheel setup. I really can't understand why the MUDRUNNER developers had to go for this kind of wheel support, were other game makers make it so easy (start and play)...

Next to that: I honestly don't know if there's an option in the Xbox One main menu that grants me your 'solution' as you so kindly explained.

Hi @rhs,

Yes, there is this option on Xbox One.

Thank you, @IFromPoland for answering 🙂

@iyagovos said in Fanatec wheel CSW doesn't work in MUDRUNNER on Xbox One:

Hi @rhs,

Yes, there is this option on Xbox One.

Thank you, @IFromPoland for answering 🙂

Hello iyagovos,

Very nice that you agree with @IFromPoland, concerning the options that are available to get a supported FF wheel to work in Spintires Mudrunner on the Xbox One.

However, the real question here is; Why did you guys make it so complicated to let Spintires Mudrunner recognize a supported wheel? Why do we have to change things in the 'main menu' of consoles to be able to get a (supported) wheel to work?

As I understand correctly; I have to go into my Xbox One main menu and choose the 'Xbox pad' as my main device (?) to finally get my Fanatec wheel to work?

To be honest, to me, this makes no sense. That means that, after I have played Spintires Mudrunner and want to play another race/car title with my wheel, I have to get back into my Xbox One main menu and change everything back? As said earlier, I don't have to do this ridiculous detour to get my wheel to work with other car games; why can't you guys make it that simple?

Your devs have to go back to the drawing board and fix this wheel recognize issue properly in a soon to come Update 2.1.

@rhs You misunderstand.

You go into the MudRunner menu, and there, you tell it to use your wheel in the game.

Update: It looks like there's currently an issue with Fanatec wheels at this time, that we're going to work on and will hopefully have fixed in the next update. I've now removed the wheels from the supported list, and will re-add them once they are working on both consoles.

last edited by Jellyfoosh

@rhs You misunderstand.

You go into the Spintires: MudRunner menu, and there, you tell it to use your Fanatec Wheel as the main device to play the game.

Hi iyagovos,

I did misunderstand that bit. But that does not solve my problem:

How am I supposed to get inside the Mudrunner menu, when it is impossible to start the game? Let me explain what happens again:
In the Xbox One console I insert the Spintires Mudrunner disc, it starts up and presents me the option on screen;

press A to start a new game

Now comes the problem: when I press the A button on my Fanatec wheel, nothing happens. So I can't start the game at all to begin with, let alone to be able getting inside the Spintires Mudrunner menu...*

Hope you understand my problem now?

*Fanatec CSW base 2.5 with the CSL Steering Wheel P1 (a wheel that is directly Xbox One compatible) on Xbox One

Update: It looks like there's currently an issue with Fanatec wheels at this time, that we're going to work on and will hopefully have fixed in the next update. I've now removed the wheels from the supported list, and will re-add them once they are working on both consoles.

Wow! That's a good one! I've been waiting for weeks to finally play this game with a wheel, now you tell me that I have to wait for the next update to come? Great support! That's some sh*t you're selling mate 🙂

To answer your question above, you can use the Xbox One gamepad to get through those menus, and once there, enable the Fanatec wheel.

We're hearing mixed reports back from players about how well the Fanatec wheels play on consoles, but if you could try this for me, it may solve the problem for you.

I understand that this is disappointing news, and we're going to work on it. I'm sorry I can't offer better news 😞

To answer your question above, you can use the Xbox One gamepad to get through those menus, and once there, enable the Fanatec wheel.

We're hearing mixed reports back from players about how well the Fanatec wheels play on consoles, but if you could try this for me, it may solve the problem for you.

I understand that this is disappointing news, and we're going to work on it. I'm sorry I can't offer better news 😞

Yes, I'm kind of disappointed, because I expect that when you release an update concerning wheel support, that you guys do a decent kind of testing on all the wheels you mentioned earlier - as supported by Spintires Mudrunner. So, yes, I'm not happy with my Spintires Mudrunner purchase at this very moment - not happy at all. But you can be happy; you've got my money 🙂

last edited by rhs
This post is deleted!
last edited by rhs

Yesterday I had some time left, so I thought I give it a try; Getting the Fanatec CSW 2.5 to work with Spintires Mudrunner on XBOX ONE.

1. As advised, I fired up the Spintires Mudrunner game with the Xbox One gamepad
    You have to go through the full 'how to' tutorial that follows with the Xbox Gamepad
  2. In the Spintires Mudrunner menu I went to controls and a huge graphic presentation of a Xbox gamepad controller appears
  3. Under the graphic presentation I noticed 3 checkboxes for Wheel support
  4. I hit all the checkboxes (Wheel control, Force Feedback, H-Shifter - as I can recall) - still using the Xbox One gamepad.
  5. I fired up the Fanatec Wheel, and switch it into Xbox One mode
  6. Strangly, at first, when I tried to use the 'on wheel' buttons, nothing happened when I hit the A, X. Y or B buttons
  7. But, after some 30 seconds - suddenly the buttons on my wheel took control and finally started to work
  8. Through my Fanatec wheel I can now choose the different menu options
  9. I started on of the 'test' missions
  10. Everything works; Wheel, Force Feedback*, Pedals (Throttle, Brake, Clutch), H-Shifter (I can only get into 1- 7the gear and 'R')

Attention: When I disconnect the Xbox Gamepad, all the 'on wheel' functions stopped working;
THAT MEANS: YOU NEED TO HAVE BOTH THE XBOX GAMEPAD AND THE WHEEL CONNECTED TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME!!!!

About FF: it's allright, but not good.

Why is on the Ps4 Version no Box for the Force Feedback in the Settings ?

@nick-noname said in Fanatec wheel CSW doesn't work in MUDRUNNER on Xbox One:

Why is on the Ps4 Version no Box for the Force Feedback in the Settings ?

@nick-noname Sorry, I don't know why the PS4 version doesn't have a checkbox for Force Feedback in the settings, I haven't hear this before; there are people on PS4 who got the game to work with their wheels...

What I do know for sure is: FF Checkbox or not, its no guarantee that the Force Feedback in Spintires Mudrunner is any good. On Xbox One, it does have a checkbox for FF but the Force Feedback on my Fanatec CSW 2.5 is very, very poor; I almost feel NO resistance at all. On wheel I have the FF setting on 100 (!).

And that's strange, because some people are complaining that on Thrustmaster (or Logitech wheels - I'm not sure) the FF is that strong that it could break their wheels...

My personal thoughs are: The devs made this wheel patch for consoles in such a hurry and had NO time/interest for decent testing on the different wheel brands whatsoever.

The devs promised that they will come with FF improvements on wheel controllers in the next update, if that's offers any consolation to you...