TTK and the potential reintroduction of AP/HP Rounds

Combat in Insurgency Sandstorm feels lacking and tense now. And it also feels much more BS now compared to the previous game. Enemies feel more like bullet sponges compared to the traditional feeling of our characters taking around 1-3 shots to die in Insurgency making us vulnerable and cautious to each step we take within a round.

I can recount the many times I've mag dumped a guy and the person I've shot manages me to kill me with a few shots. This may be lead to the hitreg issues that should are patched now (hopefully I haven't tested out this yet) but even in some firefight servers I've partaken in where the servers are stable, it doesn't deliver the tense nature the previous insurgency had and instead it now feels like a bullet spongy shootout where you are forgiven well even if your shot more than 3 times no matter what armor type you have.

I would like the reintroduction of AP/HP rounds. Now I know this may be a controversial opinion some of you may have because I am well aware between the divide of opinions regarding AP/HP rounds as they were sometimes discussed around in the previous game. However with the TTK and slower nature of the previous game, I want the tense experience and awareness back into sandstorm with reintroducing AP/HP rounds in the game because combat doesn't just feel right from a previous insurgency player's standpoint.

I know the idea of AP/HP rounds are somewhat complex to a new audience you are opening since you are releasing in console you have to realize that in theory its really not a hard idea to grasp. The descriptions in the previous game are short and gave a general idea what benefits you were gonna have with that ammo type.

If ammo types are gonna be reintroduced, I'd suggest trying your best making HP ammo useful at least. AP ammo in the previous game has been overshadowed by HP ammo, and I want it to give some kind of purpose throughout in-game.

After playing both version of the games for a long time, I really don't want AP/HP rounds to return. I understand that INS:S is more bullet-spongy without AP rounds, but if they come back, then everyone will use AP rounds like in INS with less modification.

Since the current body armor effects create bullet-sponges, I think the developers should either lessen the effectiveness of body armor or increase the damage/stopping power of all weapons, especially the pistols. If they do bring back AP/HP rounds, they should be more expensive, like HP (3) and AP (4) to balance ammo types this time.

I think the lack of lethality has been done intentionally to make the game appeal to a more casual audience. Everyone I play with and myself, all long-time Insurgency players, hate it. I don't want to see AP ammo return, I just want to see the damages increased.

Light armour should totally stop pistols round, shrapnel and buckshot. Heavy armour should stop a couple of rifle rounds to the centre-mass then be dead weight. Everything but a long-range pistol round in a person's body should put them out of a fight, like in real life.

Before people point out half these guys in the middle east are jacked up on Amphetamines, can we also remember taking a rifle round to a SAPI plate is still a surprise take-a-seat with complimentary broken ribs at least?

The game needs more lethality, don't care about the absolute details or realism too much, there's got to be a better route than the old AP system but we need something.

@whitby said in TTK and the potential reintroduction of AP/HP Rounds:

I think the lack of lethality has been done intentionally to make the game appeal to a more casual audience. Everyone I play with and myself, all long-time Insurgency players, hate it. I don't want to see AP ammo return, I just want to see the damages increased.

Light armour should totally stop pistols round, shrapnel and buckshot. Heavy armour should stop a couple of rifle rounds to the centre-mass then be dead weight. Everything but a long-range pistol round in a person's body should put them out of a fight, like in real life.

Before people point out half these guys in the middle east are jacked up on Amphetamines, can we also remember taking a rifle round to a SAPI plate is still a surprise take-a-seat with complimentary broken ribs at least?

The game needs more lethality, don't care about the absolute details or realism too much, there's got to be a better route than the old AP system but we need something.

I completely agree. Reintroducing AP/HP would not be the best way to "balance" the sponginess. Increasing the lethality of bullets would be. Body armor deteriorates after they have been damaged and absorb less to nothing after another impact. If AP/HP was brought back, there won't be any reason to get body armor.

AP/HP creates a very inconsistent experience which I think should be avoided. The problem can be easily solved elsewhere.

The lethality and low TTK is the core /feeling/ of Insurgency2014. I agree and I want it to stay like that.
But It does not feel like that in Sandstorm, probably due to the poor hit reg. I can't even tell if my shots are connecting.

last edited by Slazenger

After using the G3A3 @ 7.62 I've noticed a difference in the TTK, it kills in 1 shot more consistently where as the m16 is useless and the m4/ak needs 1/3rd a mag. If armor exists in the Sandstorm, then I want AP to be brought back so the gameplay become more lethal. Low TTK is one of the main aspects of Insurgency.

(Day of Infamy has no armor and played fine without HP/AP)

I too miss the ammo choices. HP was/is so underrated in INS, drop a heavy armor with one good shot to his leg or neck. Hit him center mass and he will drop you. It adds a dynamic to the game that I really enjoy. By default all my .45 weapons I would go HP every time. If you hit flesh they do so much more damage. I have seen this topic on the Thursday live streams, there are no plans to bring in ammo choices right now.

I think your bullet sponge problem is really a hit reg problem.

last edited by RifRafJonesy

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.