Antialiasing Setting is broken ( .ini Fix in Original Post, as well as Supersampling)

EDIT: Fix thanks to some work from @SirPenetrator , Editting your Engine.ini can force Anti aliasing On and also can
also enable Supersampling. VIDEO below comparing the settings

Simply navigate to your folder containing it:
X:\Users{USERNAME HERE}\AppData\Local\Insurgency\Saved\Config\WindowsClient

Open Engine.ini in your notepad and add the lines

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount=8
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6

(add the line ' r.ScreenPercentage=150 ' under those for Super sampling, 100-200+ be warned as this increases GPU usage alot!)

I.e the file should look like when your done (ignore r.ScreenPercentage=150 if you don't want to add Supersampling)

[Core.System]
Paths=../../../Engine/Content
Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
Paths=../../../Insurgency/Plugins/Wwise/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.ScreenPercentage=150

Here is a video comparing the settings
Youtube Video

Keep in mind this image doesn't do the issue justice alone, almost all sharp/flat edges has these flashing effects on Very high or other AA settings at 1080p.

This occurs while the image is moving, i.e character moving or scoped with natural movement.

This causes especially on maps with longer ranges with lots of buildings an extreme difficulty to quickly distinguish when a target pops out of a window or is visible.

Since all the flashing effects from the poor aliasing on screen make it very hard to see the contrast of a soldier's head flashing out of a opening, when literally every geometry in the game is flashing at you.

alt text

last edited by Neokolzia

So from discussing it a bit on Reddit, apparently Alpha/Beta 1 didn't have this issue, and this appears as if the game is Stuck on AA Low for all users (to my knowledge)

Changing settings doesn't raise it or change it whatso-ever.

So its more a case of Anti-aliasing being Broken.

Here is a comparison between all 4 settings, Low -> Very high
Low looks a little sharper but overall the AA effect on all settings is Extremely poor, no noticeable difference between Med-Very high (Captured at 1080p)

LOW
alt text

MED
alt text

HIGH
alt text

VERY HIGH
alt text

last edited by Neokolzia

Hope this doesn't get ignored. A lot of games that would otherwise look amazing get ruined by terrible anti aliasing.

Yep, AA is broken, no visual differences between settings, only performance impact...

Yeah aa is broken and i wish we get smaa its the only aa i use

I managed to get better AA by overriding the settings in engine.ini

@hoogin said in Antialiasing and Lack there of:

will give that a try thanks

Just wanted to post this too. Gonna try this out today too.

@genoharadan said in Antialiasing and Lack there of:

@hoogin How?

1. Go to C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Insurgency\Saved\Config\WindowsClient
  2. Open engine.ini

@genoharadan said in Antialiasing and Lack there of:

@sirpenetrator

😃 And?

Please beware that I did not test these settings myself yet! I only assume this is how @Hoogin did it.
I got the information below about the engine.ini file and the lines to add from a Steam Post about fixing FPS Stutter.

I also don't know if "1" is already the highest available settings or if it goes up to "4" (1. Low 2. Med 3. High 4. Very High)

Backup engine.ini first before making any changes - or know what you edited in case it didn't work so you can delete it.

And please, report back if it actually did work or change anything for you 🙂

Add the following lines:

r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount=1
r.PostProcessAAQuality=1

That the final File looks like this:
[Core.System]
Paths=../../../Engine/Content
Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
Paths=../../../Insurgency/Plugins/Wwise/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content

r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount=3
r.PostProcessAAQuality=3

Update: Hoogin answered and said he used 3 but never tested any higher number so I changed the numbers from 1 to 3 - but if you're at it you can try 4 to, for us? :face_savouring_delicious_food:
Also he added that he didn't use the CompositingSampleCount Line. IMHO You can use it too but don't take my word for it lol.

After a bit googling I think the numbers don't indicate the amount of Levels (Low - Mid) but the actual settings itself, like MSAA x1, x2, x4, x8, x16. So you probably even have to add these numbers (without the x in front if it). Sorry for the confusion but I'm not too familiar with editing engine.ini files.

last edited by SirPenetrator

I only did the r.PostProcessAAQuality=3 assuming that level 3 is very high. never tried any other number. If you set AA to very high in the options menu the other ini file gets a number 3 on AA.

last edited by Hoogin

I only did the r.PostProcessAAQuality=3 assuming that level 3 is very high. never tried any other number. If you set AA to very high in the options menu the other ini file gets a number 3 on AA.

Do you mean the file GameUserSettings.ini?
[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=2
sg.PostProcessQuality=2
sg.TextureQuality=2
sg.EffectsQuality=2
sg.FoliageQuality=2
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3sg.ShadowQuality=2

Yes, 0 = low --- 3 = very high, It's just an assumption that it's the same in the other file.

Yes, 0 = low --- 3 = very high, It's just an assumption that it's the same in the other file.

Okay, well if you set the settings for "very high" and the .ini shows 3 we can take it as a reference point yes. I'm gonna fiddle around with it a bit.

Update:
Just checked the game and how the .ini File changed, you're right @Hoogin
0 = Low
1 = Med
2 = High
3 = Very High

last edited by SirPenetrator

@sirpenetrator said in Antialiasing and Lack there of:

Okay, well if you set the settings for "very high" and the .ini shows 3 we can take it as a reference point yes. I'm gonna fiddle around with it a bit.

With a 4 the game starts, don't know if it's any different than 3 though.

With a 4 the game starts, don't know if it's any different than 3 though.

Strange. Don't know for what that 4 should stand for then.

Update:
Just checked the game and how the .ini File changed, you're right @Hoogin
0 = Low
1 = Med
2 = High
3 = Very High

according to https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference

6 would be highest, and apparently for r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount 8 would be highest according to some ARK documentation

So currently using

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6

and the effect is fantastic and fixes most of the issues.

Now
alt text

last edited by Neokolzia