I still haven't seen a single person cook a grenade in any capacity

I've done multiple tests on multiple settings in multiple game-modes with multiple classes.

You can't cook grenades.

You might FEEL like you've cooked them, but you haven't. I've literally held a frag grenade for 30 seconds, threw it, and still had to wait for the entire fuse before it exploded. Every person I've ever seen attempt to cook a grenade does the same thing: they pull the pin, hold for ~2-3 seconds, release... and the full fuse still has to burn. Is there a special button for it? If so, fuck that, it's stupid, fix it. If not, fuck that, it's stupid, fix it.

Between this and the still-present hit reg issues and poor bolt-action balancing are making it very hard for me to recommend this game to friends. I personally am considering refunding at this point; these are not the kinds of problems games should have this close to release.

You press whatever mouse button is opposite to the one you used to throw the grenade with. And no, it does not need to be fixed because you couldn’t figure it out like everyone else did, if you understood the proper technique for throwing a grenade it would make much more sense for why they have it that way in the game.

You press left mousebutton to take the nade in your hand and press the right button to cook it. It's just that easy. For a short throw, right button then left

But why change it from the Ins 1 way of doing it?

I always correctly cook grenades. During the first beta, I accidentally learnt how to cook very early on, the current way of cooking is very intuitive and feels good.

Overhand throw (far throw):
Pulling pin on a grenade with LEFT click to release the safety.

Cook overhand throw:
Pull pin with LEFT click then while holding LEFT click, press RIGHT click. This will pull the other pin, the actual dangerous pin and the nade begins to 'cook'. Release to throw.

Underhand throw (short throw):
Pulling pin on a grenade with RIGHT click to release the safety.

Cook underhand throw:
Pull pin with RIGHT click then while HOLDING RIGHT click, press LEFT click. This will pull the other pin, the actual dangerous pin and the nade begins to 'cook'. Release to throw.

Frag grenades have the longest cook time, followed by smoke, flash-bang (very short fuse), then incendiary nades.

Cook underhand throw:
Pull pin with RIGHT click then while HOLDING RIGHT click, press LEFT click. This will pull the other pin, the actual dangerous pin and the nade begins to 'cook'. Release to throw.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the dangerous pin you're in reference to is actually referred to as the "spoon" of a grenade.

On most modern grenades, the fuse, detonator, etc. doesn't actually activate until you release the spoon (handle looking thing) on a grenade. The pin simply keeps the spoon in place. Many modern grenades also have secondary latches that need to be undone s well before the pin is pulled as a safety measure.

Until the spoon is released, you can try to re-insert the pin, tape down the spoon, tie it up, etc. to save the grenade or prevent detonation, but most armed forces teach their soldiers to just pull the pin and throw. Cooking isn't very common as it can be extremely dangerous, and there's never a guarantee the spoon didn't slip or the fuze started anyways, so saving grenades after pins have been pulled are considered even more dangerous.

Look, I have almost 700 hours in Ins2 and I have probably 6000+ hours in total FPS gameplay time in my life. Additionally, I'm not a stupid person. If someone with as many hours in shooters as me hadn't 'accidentally' figured it out after 30-40 hours, it's a stupid system or at the very least a system that needs more explanation.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, it supposedly makes intuitive sense that pressing mouse1 to remove the pin and then holding the grenade for an infinite amount of time (WITHOUT THE PIN IN THE GRENADE) and then releasing mouse1 still leaves the grenade with a full fuse. But if you press an entirely different button or combination of buttons, the pin is still pulled, but now you can magically change the fuse timer. It just doesn't make sense with how we've all come to understand grenade throwing prior to this game, even in the game's predecessors.

@tedeski

It's important to remember grenade anatomy here, and attention to the animation, especially compared to INS2

In INS2, when left-click throwing a grenade, you would pull the pin and release the spoon. This immediately started cooking all grenades; even short fuse ones like flashbangs.

Alternatively, if you right clicked the grenade, or middle moused the grenade to lob, you would still retain the spoon. The animation showed this, as it wouldn't be disposed as in the left click animation, and clicking left click while in the holding phase would result in an audible release of the spoon.

In INS:S, the grenade pin is pulled, but the spoon is kept. Additionally, you can cancel you grenade throw, which like in INS2, would probably confirm that the spoon wasn't released. Since RMB is now grenade underhand rather than MMB, as MMB has been rebound to melee, it would be safe to try clicking the opposite mouse key to try cooking.

Lo and behold, when I did that I heard an audible spoon release, and could not return my grenade to inventory, further confirming that that was indeed how you cook a grenade.

I'm fine with how it is implemented, but I think it needs to be communicated much more clearly how it works. That's the only issue I see with the current implementation. I would also be fine with it being a user-option to always "auto-cook", might even be the sensible default because it's how all other shooters that I know do it.

@Goat-Walrus You didn't come off as a d*ck, I just didn't know the terminology and couldn't really be bothered to look it up ahah. But I just wanted to lay out the methods of throwing is all. I guess with both posted some usable K N A W L E D G E !

@goat-walrus Yes, I understand the mechanics of it. I also understand the anatomy of a typical frag grenade. However, in literally every shooter I've ever played over the last 15-20 years, grenades have always been press 'fire' to throw the armed grenade, and if the game allowed for cooking, hold 'fire' to cook the armed grenade. Maybe there's another game that has this mechanic, but it just feels clunky and definitely poorly explained.

Plunkbat also has this 2-step cooking mechanic. First left mousebutton, than "R" (in my case) to cook it

@tedeski It is definitely different from Insurgency Source which has even more sophisticated throwing mechanics which I wished was implemented in Sandstorm.

Previously in Source, the mechanics are simple, you either threw it overhead or lobbed it, both were cooked the moment you hold your mouse key. They upgraded the mechanics later to implement more control of how and when you want to cook a grenade. The default hold left mouse to cook still remains though for simple users.

Sandstorm is using a different system of 'cooking' and throwing. Not as 'complicated' but basically holding either mouse button to throw does not cook it, but tapping the opposite mouse button once will release the spoon and start the 'cooking' process.

This allows you to throw a grenade fast or 'prep' it a few seconds for desired 'time' for enemies to react.

last edited by Skidd Chung

@tedeski said in I still haven't seen a single person cook a grenade in any capacity:

@goat-walrus Yes, I understand the mechanics of it. I also understand the anatomy of a typical frag grenade. However, in literally every shooter I've ever played over the last 15-20 years, grenades have always been press 'fire' to throw the armed grenade, and if the game allowed for cooking, hold 'fire' to cook the armed grenade. Maybe there's another game that has this mechanic, but it just feels clunky and definitely poorly explained.

Poorly explained? Yeah. Clunky? Not feeling it like that.

I rather like the way it works. The only problem I have with grenades is my inability to get the throwing arcs down. I keep finding myself having them bounce off door and window frames.

When doing the Left/Right thing, one can hear the "CLINK" of the spoon flying off. But it's not very intuitive, so I can see why many wouldn't know how it works.

It's a really intuitive system. It honestly makes about ten times more sense than the Ins2014 grenade throwing system. Of course, it's kind of gone underground for a lot of players since the tutorial hasn't been implemented yet.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.