Doesn't feel like the same old Insurgency

@pakislav said in Doesn't feel like the same old Insurgency:

Have you even PLAYED Ins2? It was way faster paced than Sandstorm. Especially now with the Nov update NWI have brought hardcore realism up a notch.

And why do you want to increase weapon damage? People literally die in one or two pistol shots. Any more damage and you'll be lucky if a bird taking a dump on you won't kill you.

The only bad thing is the poor performance that sure extends TTK for me quite a bit. Ins2 was smooth like a babys bottom. Sandstorm still not so much.

Of course I've played Ins2 or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Perhaps it's the lack of AP ammo in Sandstorm but I just don't feel quite as lethal and TTK seems slightly higher.

As for pacing, I disagree. The larger maps make covering ground a necessity. I find myself sprinting from objective to objective and only slowing down as I approach. With Ins2, the tighter maps made me constantly check angles as I progressed.

Perhaps it's different in competitive as the maps are memorized and people just rust to well known choke points. But for me playing coop, I've found Sandstorm to be quicker paced.

Anyway, it's all good. But I am curious to see how much we'll be able to tweak the gameplay to our liking on private servers. I just d/l it tonight and will have to dig into it a bit and find out.

@JLX
Playing predominantly coop I can tell you Sandstorm's even slower there than Ins2. And while lack of AP rounds does make armor effective, that's only sometimes a difference of a bullet or two tops, and it's a very good change because armor should matter. On the other hand the currently still poor performance and the more complex weapons handling with more recoil does make me less effective than in Ins2(tap-tap-tap-tap-ing 10 bots within two seconds with a simple M16's no longer viable), extending the 'TKK' and thus making the game even slower. Then you have support on top of that, which should add even more challenge and delay before rushing the objective. (Even tho it's mostly only a good idea when defending in coop)

Maybe it's just the fact that maps are bigger and enemies have more places to approach from, thus making you, as you say, cover more ground while fighting, often in multiple directions, that influences your perception of the games speed. But I also think that this is a marvelous change. Saying that, I do look forward to dedicated servers with coop difficulty cranked way up. 😉 (Despite loosing most games already xD)

@pakislav said in Doesn't feel like the same old Insurgency:

And while lack of AP rounds does make armor effective, that's only sometimes a difference of a bullet or two tops, and it's a very good change because armor should matter.

That's exactly the difference I'm talking about, "a bullet or two tops", which is still very noticeable to me. However, I agree that armour should matter and be a viable choice. Removing AP ammo to make it relevant again was probably a good idea.

More than TTK, the point I wanted to make was I'm not experiencing the slow, methodical, cat and mouse game play as much as I do with Ins2. Games feel a bit more like Tag, rather than Hide & Seek.

Maybe it's just the fact that maps are bigger and enemies have more places to approach from, thus making you, as you say, cover more ground while fighting, often in multiple directions, that influences your perception of the games speed. But I also think that this is a marvelous change.

Agreed. I attribute this largely to the bigger maps but also the inclusion of fire support. This is more of an observation than a complaint as I like the new elements being introduced in Sandstorm! I just also want the stalking, high tension, Hide & Seek type games. This may be more an issue of map design rather than game mechanics. Once smaller maps become available, it may prove to be a non-issue.

@jlx said in Doesn't feel like the same old Insurgency:

That's exactly the difference I'm talking about, "a bullet or two tops", which is still very noticeable to me. However, I agree that armour should matter and be a viable choice. Removing AP ammo to make it relevant again was probably a good idea.

Yeah, armor in Ins2014 was completely nullified, honestly. There was a very little chance that it would actually save you in a gunfight involving AP rounds. Light Armor was especially useless; even an AP round from an MP40 would instantly kill you.

More than TTK, the point I wanted to make was **I'm not experiencing the slow, methodical, cat and mouse game play as much as I do with Ins2.

I'm predominantly an Ambush player back in Ins2014, and honestly, the game was rarely slow-paced. A lot of Ambush is trying to get a good flank on the enemy by rushing certain angles and getting past their defense so you can just slaughter all of them from the rear (or capture the point if the VIP can pull it off) and Coop for me was very fast-paced.

Maybe that's just what 1400+ hours on the game do to you lmao.

Agreed. I attribute this largely to the bigger maps but also the inclusion of fire support. This is more of an observation than a complaint as I like the new elements being introduced in Sandstorm! I just also want the stalking, high tension, Hide & Seek type games. This may be more an issue of map design rather than game mechanics. Once smaller maps become available, it may prove to be a non-issue.

I personally like the opened-up maps as it allows for easier flank routes. Now, Ins2014's maps weren't bad for some gamemodes (often, they were great for Ambush) but Push on those small maps were absolute hell.

I just want Ambush to get added in since for me that's the real "hide and seek" gamemode. Trying to keep the VIP from getting spotted, flanked and shot was really fun for me. I'd also love to see more Coop modes, specifically Outpost, Survival and maybe Hunt. Maybe also that Operation gamemode we never got specifics on.

Why did we necro this. The number of ttk threads I've been a part of …. oh boy. These are gonna give me an aneurysm.

I'am with everything you said