Slide has to go

@snuffeldjuret I really don't appreciate you trying to pull that on me. It takes more skill to slide and shoot someone than it does breaching normally. And just because something doesn't effect gameplay that much doesn't mean you should remove it. I think it's fun and cool that you can slide in this game.

@lawnjesus just dont use it then you noob

@chonma-ho wow people can slide in real life you idiot,dont use the slide if you dont like it ,,simple

I think it's a useful mechanic that worked very well in Insurgency. I would like to see it stay in Sandstorm.

Not against sliding in general, but against the way it currently works in the game. People can use a combination of spring/slide and prone that will somewhat result in a dolphin dive. This dive looks very weird in third person and people can turn directions while doing it, without it being properly represented on the player model in third person.

So somebody slides into a room like that and will shoot somebody on his right side, while other players just see a one guy sliding into a room at full speed, not looking in the same direction.

I think slide should be a movement to get cover and thus a lot shorter! This way theres no problem!

last edited by Shadoware

Sounds like there is many new gamers to INsurgency. If you havent played the source Ins, then dont suggest bf crap into this game. It got iconic by itself, not by copying kiddygames like BF COD CS etc. Agreed that some things need tweaking, but it will get there. But sliding IS Insurgency and is a great feature of this game adding to the gaming style which is unique compared to before mentioned games. When the game has been polished off it will be great.

@doghead said in Slide has to go:

Quoting since you're editing your posts continuously.

Which is the problem here: that sliding is unrealistic, too useful, too fast, unskilled, that you do it on accident, that it's "bad game theory"? Do you want it removed or slowed down? It seems like you don't know what you want and you're figuring that out by arguing with people.

Lol what is your problem? You are way to accusatory. If I spot a typo or such in a post I have made, I correct it. Sometimes it happens more than other times.

All those things you listed are not mutually exclusive.

I want it removed since I don't think you can make it useful if made realistic. When it is no longer useful, what is left are the accidental slides that will get you killed every now and then. If it won't be removed because people like it too much, then I'd at least be happier with it being realistic, that would make it better than it is now. Honestly, is this really that difficult to understand? I know exactly want I want, the problem is people like you who are not thinking about the feature critically.

@noscopes-allowed said in Slide has to go:

@snuffeldjuret I really don't appreciate you trying to pull that on me. It takes more skill to slide and shoot someone than it does breaching normally. And just because something doesn't effect gameplay that much doesn't mean you should remove it. I think it's fun and cool that you can slide in this game.

Pull what on you? Obviously we disagree on what requires most skill. Either way, the slide feature has numerous other problems you haven't addressed.

@byby said in Slide has to go:

Sounds like there is many new gamers to INsurgency. If you havent played the source Ins, then dont suggest bf crap into this game. It got iconic by itself, not by copying kiddygames like BF COD CS etc. Agreed that some things need tweaking, but it will get there. But sliding IS Insurgency and is a great feature of this game adding to the gaming style which is unique compared to before mentioned games. When the game has been polished off it will be great.

I'll have you know that you sound like a relative newcomer to insurgency compared to me and all the rest who played the mod, many years before the 2014 version. In that game, there was no slide and it was heaven. Much better.

@snuffeldjuret You're the only person I've heard of doing the slide on accident. Maybe git gud?

If you remove the slide you need to replace it with another quick cover entry move because that's just how combat works, and that's most likely a dive. I'm sure even if the devs went through all of the trouble of switching the slide to a dive you'd still complain. If they remove it and implement nothing then we all run around briskly and just get shot without any urgency to our movement and that's not realistic at all either.

This is a nonissue with no good solution.

last edited by Doghead

@doghead so? That doesn't mean it doesn't happen to people too often. It is more of an issue for people who play more than one game at a time. If you play a game where you don't slide or such when pressing crouch while sprinting, it will naturally make you think you can do the same in this game. Knowing the exact timing will not be reasonably easy enough, whitching back and forth between games.

I disagree that removing the slide would require adding some feature to get from cover to cover. There already is such a feature, called sprint. I don't use the slide since I don't like the feature and I have no problem reaching cover before getting shot. Maybe it is you who should get the old "git gud" a try?

Why would I complain about a dive? That is just your bias showing. Just make it realistic. The advantage of the dive is that you do that by pressing prone while sprinting, so there would not be these accidents.

This is an issue with a good solution.

@snuffeldjuret I won't be called "biased" by someone who started so dogmatic a thread demanding for something to be removed with no reason given and no alternative suggested.

You're welcome for the dive idea. I'd be fine with that too, but the devs are a little busy to accommodate such a petty change. In practice it would work the same exact way.

last edited by Doghead

@Snuffeldjuret

I'll have you know that you sound like a relative newcomer to insurgency compared to me and all the rest who played the mod, many years before the 2014 version. In that game, there was no slide and it was heaven. Much better.

Well, 3 1/2 years is not newcomer!? And you played an old mod? So what, obviously not worth playing? It was not what got popular? What you are talking about, most gamers havent heard of. Ins2014 got really popular. Maybe its where you should put your money? Ill have you know you sound like a vet who should retire...

I vote for it staying; HOWEVER, the sprint speed is too high currently, it doesn't seem that bad, until someone full sprints through a door towards you, and you'll soon realize that tracking that target is a ridiculous effort.

Lower the sprint speed, and the slide speed/slide distance. You should only slide a couple feet. I used to play speed ball (tournament paintball) and sliding is a very important technique to learn, but it's more useful to lower your surface area. Not get to cover faster.

Sliding is fairly realistic. I've slid into cover before several times when running to cross a large area. It's fine on dirt, sand, or gravel, and I've done it on concrete with knee pads.

That said, I agree in part with @Snuffeldjuret - you should not be able to slide faster than you can sprint. Right now sliding feels a bit like driving over an accelerator pad in Mario Kart. You should start slowing down from sprinting speed as soon as you hit the crouch button, not warp-slide into the cover.

@doghead if you don't want to be called biased, don't be biased. Not sure why you are making this so personal. Why do you care who I am, care about the arguments for and against slide instead. What if someone else comes and says the same as I have, what is your response then?

@byby said in Slide has to go:

Well, 3 1/2 years is not newcomer!? And you played an old mod? So what, obviously not worth playing? It was not what got popular? What you are talking about, most gamers havent heard of. Ins2014 got really popular. Maybe its where you should put your money? Ill have you know you sound like a vet who should retire...

I don't know why you keep yapping about who is a newcomer and not. As if it really matters. Also, why do you shit on the mod? It won the moddb mod of the year 2007, over project reality iirc. It was worth playing, but at some point you'll move on. I don't think many of us will play this game in 11 or 7 years, who knows how many will have heard about it.
You don't need to keep on doing the "I'll have you know.."-bit, I wasn't using it as an argument, I was using it to highlight the ridiculousness of your argument.

last edited by Snuffeldjuret

@snuffeldjuret Youre a piece of work. Try and shut it instead of trying to look good you imbecile.
I dont care about you your gaming or opinion. Be gone

@doghead said in Slide has to go:

You're welcome for the dive idea. I'd be fine with that too, but the devs are a little busy to accommodate such a petty change. In practice it would work the same exact way.

I forgot to reply to this part. I haven't played that many games which has a dive feature, or at least I honestly don't remember if they had or not. Probably because if they had, I had no major grievances with it. The thing is that in practice, it won't be the same. For the times you would do it accidently, it should not lead to death as often as you are probably not intending to shoot asap when going prone from sprint as often as when going crouch from sprint. Also, it would remove the zip-zap-shooti-shooty-entrances to buildings as the dive would limit your combat effectiveness in such a situation. You could argue that a dive should be faster than a slide due to the possibilities, but I would guess that IRL, you would not do the fastest and longest dive you could for the times it is an appropriate action.

Well, maybe slide should stay but not in it's current state. It must be shorter when performed on straight surface, longer when downhill and impossible when you go up. Also heavier loaded soldier should have shorter track because friction will be stronger than momentum.

But still I strongly suggest to add dive when you go prone while sprinting.

The slide comes from the soldier keeping his momentum. It keeps players from crouching the instant they see an enemy and is more punishing than a dolphin dive.

@musicnote shouldn't it then be the same for stopping from sprint while standing as "while" crouching? I mean, you have the same momentum. As it is now, the momentum is halted way easier standing than crouching.