Slide has to go

How does it remove the skill of entering a building? Sliding through a door is a great way to get yourself shot by exposing yourself to every angle in the room at once while not being able to return fire.

@cyoce it does so by not having to deal with a covered entrance.

I always hated the slide. It made the movement way to arcade like, and the regular problem of bots sliding while headshotting me led me to remove it from my servers.

I'd say that if there is a "hardcore mode" where the HUD is less and things are supposed to be more tactical, zipping around on rocket kneepads should be a toggle option for server admins.

But I get that some players like it, and I wouldn't want to tell them they have to do without just because I don't like it.

As long as it could be an option, that should be cool.

@snuffeldjuret everyone covering the entrance can shift their aim to you before your gun is even ready to shoot...

@chonma-ho Well there is a reason why they wear kneepads in real life, but they're still not sliding on them that's for sure.

alt text

Sliding is far less realistic than, say, diving...I'd love to be able to dive through a window as opposed to sliding on a non-slick surface.

last edited by xDark

@cyoce so according to you, at what speed does it become an advantage to slide in through the door in certain situations?

Keep slide but remove the ability to uncrouch/jump during slide because right now you can just slide bunny hop everywhere.

@snuffeldjuret faster than its current speed. As it is right now, you're no better off sliding through a door than simply crouch jumping through it

@cyoce that is not an answer to the question :P. That is just repeating what you already said :).

Just to add to the topic. Another problem with the slide feature is when you try to use it but instead of speeding forward in the OP-teleport-slide, you just sit down on your bum begging to get shot. Being 1% under the speed limit or 1% over being the difference between life and death is not good game design. It is impossible to judge your movement speed that precisely as a player, so it becomes a lottery.

It would be good game design if crouch while sprinting always made you slide, and that the speed of the slide were proportional to the speed of the sprint, adjusted for ground texture etc. To avoid sliding you would have to let go of sprint before pressing crouch. To always slide you press crouch before letting go of sprint. This way, you would always be in control. That would be good game design.

last edited by Snuffeldjuret

So I can speak from airsoft that sliding is common, but its not the kind of slide in sandstorm where you slide on your knees. Its either launching yourself and throwing yourself down into prone or sliding on your hip with your legs forward. I think its a good mechanic, just maybe the animation is a little weird.

Throwing yourself into prone would be a cool feature imo. Its too slow to go down to prone currently.

last edited by thehappybub

@snuffeldjuret said in Slide has to go:

It is a terrible feature.

It has to go.

It's existed in Ins2014, though, and it really isn't that arcadey IMO. Shooting while sliding is a feature now, but you can only hipfire. Thank God that's been added tbh since being locked in the sliding animation and being completely defenseless in Ins2014 was extremely annoying.

That being said, you can do like a full 90-degree torso turn and fire while sliding, and that seems a little nuts lol.

@thehappybub the speed is too high. Even in optimal situations you would not see people slide with the speed and distance as they do in-game. In worst case scenario you have an insurgent with super thin pants sliding on rugged concrete. No. Just no.

@marksmanmax Sure, but it wasn't a thing in ins2007.It is super arcaday as long as it is anything but realistic. Shooting while sliding is so arcadey that people even whined about it in the BFV trailer!

Being locked in sliding sucks, that is why it should be so that if you press crouch while sprinting, you slide. If you let go of sprint before pressing crouch, there is no sprint. Give the player control over his or her own character. It should not be something that happens based on movement speed, it should be based on key combination (with initial speed of slide the same as the movement speed).

I am not asking for much here. I am just asking for it to be realistic and user friendly. That should be A and O for Insurgency.

@snuffeldjuret said in Slide has to go:

@thehappybub the speed is too high. Even in optimal situations you would not see people slide with the speed and distance as they do in-game. In worst case scenario you have an insurgent with super thin pants sliding on rugged concrete. No. Just no.

@marksmanmax Sure, but it wasn't a thing in ins2007.It is super arcaday as long as it is anything but realistic. Shooting while sliding is so arcadey that people even whined about it in the BFV trailer!

Being locked in sliding sucks, that is why it should be so that if you press crouch while sprinting, you slide. If you let go of sprint before pressing crouch, there is no sprint. Give the player control over his or her own character. It should not be something that happens based on movement speed, it should be based on key combination (with initial speed of slide the same as the movement speed).

I am not asking for much here. I am just asking for it to be realistic and user friendly. That should be A and O for Insurgency.

Speed starts high, but it diminishes pretty fast and you're pretty much a sitting duck for a full second, during which you can't aim.

It wasn't a thing in Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat? Yeah, neither was weapon modding, dude. It's been eleven years since MIC. Even Ins2014 is almost five years at this point.

" Being locked in sliding sucks, that is why it should be so that if you press crouch while sprinting, you slide. If you let go of sprint before pressing crouch, there is no sprint." -> That's already how it works.

Also, I'm gonna assume that later on, NWI will probably add a separate keybind to the slide itself, as well as possibly a keybind for just vaulting.

Sandstorm is already more user-friendly than its predecessor IMO. As for realism, it's got more realistic elements to it but it should still have some arcade-y parts too. I'm not looking for another Escape From Tarkov (if that's even called realism lmao) or Squad.

@marksmanmax said in Slide has to go:

It wasn't a thing in Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat? Yeah, neither was weapon modding, dude. It's been eleven years since MIC. Even Ins2014 is almost five years at this point.

Exactly, how it was in ins2014 doesn't matter and how it was in ins2007 doesn't matter.

" Being locked in sliding sucks, that is why it should be so that if you press crouch while sprinting, you slide. If you let go of sprint before pressing crouch, there is no sprint." -> That's already how it works.

It is nice that it indeed seems like letting go of sprint before pressing crouch doesn't make you slide, although I would not be surprised if there was something something there as I several times got a slide when trying to let go of sprint first. I probably failed in actually letting the key go first though, but tough to judge!
Would still be nice to always get a slide when pressing crouch while sprinting though! Even if it is shorter than a slide from "fully charged sprint".

Sandstorm is already more user-friendly than its predecessor IMO. As for realism, it's got more realistic elements to it but it should still have some arcade-y parts too. I'm not looking for another Escape From Tarkov (if that's even called realism lmao) or Squad.

Not sure how relevant this is. It doesn't really hurt to have it more user-friendly. Sure some things have to be arcade-y, but I don't think extra should be that added just for the sake of it.

last edited by Snuffeldjuret

@chonma-ho

You can definitely slide on all of those except dry asphalt.

All you need is slider shorts and knee pads. Do it all the time in paintball.

@marksmanmax said in Slide has to go:

Also, I'm gonna assume that later on, NWI will probably add a separate keybind to the slide itself, as well as possibly a keybind for just vaulting.

They already said they are pretty certain they are not going to do this. It is one of the most requested features since alpha Ins source though.

Basically it would either have to be the way it is or you would have to slow down from full sprint to be able to crouch which would take some mechanical learning by the player (and it's already pretty much like this).

last edited by Link

Its not too relevant but id like to see a dive feature where you go from sprint to prone, no sliding but just for emergency cover.

@xdark said in Slide has to go:

Sliding is far less realistic than, say, diving...I'd love to be able to dive through a window as opposed to sliding on a non-slick surface.

Well, maybe for insurgents, but a big part of US military urban training is on the danger of unrecoverable actions. For example, if one broke the window, looked out to check for threats, and then jumped, that has several chances to abort the action if something dangerous would happen.

Just diving out a window puts one in an incredibly bad position, and if the glass doesn't chop you up the emplaced PKM you jumped in front of will.

@ziggylata said in Slide has to go:

Its not too relevant but id like to see a dive feature where you go from sprint to prone, no sliding but just for emergency cover.

Yes please.

Also as @Link said, the pads in combat pants could totally take slides over rocks or concrete or whatever.

last edited by thehappybub