Cosmetic costs are too inflated?

Anyone else feel this? I was gonna calculate the total cost for everything under the current prices, but stopped at Security Forces torso + headgear options (I'm doing it by hand and don't wanna put the effort in for all of it lol), which totaled 123,800 points (so the different blouse options + all headgear variants). That's 1238 levels to get the points for all of that! And it's not even accounting for literally everything else AND the insurgents.

I preferred the old system, where you could at least unlock one of each category for a few hundred credits. Makes sense to actually get some of the items instead of grinding 18 levels for a single high cut helmet, when I want to save that money for camo (I understand the camo costing more, because it's an all-body cosmetic versus a single category). Also why separate the glove types by camo now? It should be a catch-all option + green, sand, tan, etc.

I don't mind the system of earning credits per rank to unlock cosmetics. Beats microtransactions definitely. But having to grind excessively kills any sort of goal of collecting. I like collecting cosmetics when its attainable. 1000+ ranks ain't.

The cost hierarchy is better for color variants rather than the item itself. Why do AI enemies get to roam around like level 9001 motherfuckers?

last edited by lawnjesus

Smells just a bit too much like an incoming micro transaction system...

I agree. It's going to screw everything over if this is added as a microtransaction system. I thought they were being generous when they gave me a discount bc I have insurgency 2, but now I see their scheme. Really sad if it goes the way it's going. Whats next, $50 ghillie suits? Please make it a lot easier to unlock cosmetics.

@quadsword said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

Smells just a bit too much like an incoming micro transaction system...

Yeah, I hope they do something in that regards post-launch! Would be awesome. Helped CS:GO a lot in terms of player base and revenue. I personally don't like the weapon skins in CSGO, so i just pretend they don't exist.

who on earth wants to unlock every item? 😃

@lawnjesus said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

Anyone else feel this? I was gonna calculate the total cost for everything under the current prices, but stopped at Security Forces torso + headgear options (I'm doing it by hand and don't wanna put the effort in for all of it lol), which totaled 123,800 points (so the different blouse options + all headgear variants). That's 1238 levels to get the points for all of that! And it's not even accounting for literally everything else AND the insurgents.

You also have to remember that you get random unlocks when levelling up though, it may be expensive for beta but you have to remember is it serves of lasting a while so players always can have something to work towards? I agree it is a bit pricey and maybe could be turned down a bit however.

@spartanviperz Yeah, I was gonna attempt to estimate more, but I'm not a mathematician. And I understand having stuff to work for, which is why some of the stuff being expensive (camo types especially) makes sense. Just not everything.

@benz said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

I brought it up because I like to collect as much as I can in games that I really enjoy. It's just disheartening having to grind super hard. If there were challenges that granted some of the cosmetics that would be an improvement. Just not grinding for every item and its respective color variants. 😛

@lawnjesus said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

@spartanviperz Yeah, I was gonna attempt to estimate more, but I'm not a mathematician. And I understand having stuff to work for, which is why some of the stuff being expensive (camo types especially) makes sense. Just not everything.

Yeah I think it is a bit silly how when I pay 300 for sand gloves, its annoying to have to pay 300 more for tan one's when there isn't much difference, I think it would be cool if you could buy the base item, then different camos/textures could be bought extra for say 50 credits or something etc.

@benz said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

The wrong player base for this game would, that's who.

It's not like you are being forced to run around with no clothes on. I had enough credits to get both of my characters looking the way I wanted with just the credits I got for free when I logged in. At launch if this game is what I hope it will be, I will gladly buy some to help support this hardcore never P2W game. They are going to have weapon skins too, for a fee, but nothing like CSsuxGO. They have promised all DLCs free for life, if I get the same hours on this game as I have on INS, I will spend .017 cents per hour, a bargain for sure.

@spartanviperz Come to think of it, DICE's betas for Battlefield games often have certain content and unlocks gated by enormous XP barriers. When the game comes out of beta and actually releases, those XP gates are brought down to a more reasonable level.

Perhaps NWI is doing something similar?

@quadsword said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

@spartanviperz Come to think of it, DICE's betas for Battlefield games often have certain content and unlocks gated by enormous XP barriers. When the game comes out of beta and actually releases, those XP gates are brought down to a more reasonable level.

Perhaps NWI is doing something similar?

yeah perhaps, I mean the prices of things have been changed alot since the alpha and beta 1 so nothing is set in stone right now.

You earn 100 appearance credits plus one random item each time you level up, which should equate to roughly 1 hour of gameplay.

Please be aware that the rate at which people gain credits and item costs are all subject to change as we gather more data during the beta. Also all ranks, achievements and unlocks will be reset at launch.

I agree, everything is too bloody expensive. In Beta#1 for this game, I thought everything was priced pretty well, I could buy some cool looking gear to keep me sated for a while. Now in Beta#2 shit is extremely inflated, i.e. 1.8k for an Ops Core Fast. Waaaay too much, it would make more sense if the standalone helmet was worth 1.8k and they just gave you all the colors. It might be the sign of a microtransaction system coming into the game, but man would that be just dumb for a game like this.

@alexblonski said in Cosmetic costs are too inflated?:

You earn 100 appearance credits plus one random item each time you level up, which should equate to roughly 1 hour of gameplay.

Please be aware that the rate at which people gain credits and item costs are all subject to change as we gather more data during the beta. Also all ranks, achievements and unlocks will be reset at launch.

One problem I've noticed: Your random unlock item can be a duplicate of something you already own. If this happens, you essentially get nothing.

You should gain credits based on how well you perform ingame not this retarded leveling up system

Let's be honest though. No one is going to buy EVERY item. Practically 80% of insurgent "unlocks" are different colors of the same (or only slightly different) headscarf...

last edited by AMURKA

the real question should be, does the game eliminate awards from the drop table if you unlock them with credits? I sincerely hope so because the game didn't in DOI but that was because you could buy units with real cash and they were tradeable and sellable on steam market so you could be awarded units you purchased again and just resell them. If this isn't the case though you could slim down your drop table by buying all the cheap stupid cosmetics leaving the pricier ones in the drop table as higher drop chance.

@lawnjesus you get an item every time you level up as well, kind of assume the items get better as your rank increases.
so your calculations might be a bit off there but I agree that all the 1800 point sunglasses and shit are a bit ridiculous

side note: I'm still wearing my 1800 point red sunglasses I got in Alpha or something, don't have them unlocked but they're still on my character XD

also I wouldn't discount microtransactions/cosmetic DLC entirely, DOI kind of had it already with the different uniforms, takes forever to unlock them but you can buy them for a few bucks....

last edited by Zwenkwiel