Feedback from an INS Competitive Player

Hey ! I've seen that Link posted his feedback about the game, and since I commented his post before testing the Competitive matchmaking, I do it again now, after trying it.

The game is absolutely great ! I love it, and I hope that people will enjoy it as much as I do !
Obviously, there is a lot of optimizations that could make the game better, and also controversials ideas that could be implemented to make the game more dynamic/less casuals in some points.
Here is my suggestions and problems that I've been going throught since I started playing Insurgency: Sandstorm.

alt text

First of all, problems that I think really important before getting into the gameplay.

• FIX MATCHMAKING ! Competitive firefight is underestimated right now and there is only a few people playing it ! But the real issue is the fact that we can't even launch a game without trying bunch of times. As soon as you get into a game, you just pray the whole time for people to connect to the game. You get 10/10 players two times out of ten. This need to get fixed as soon as possible !

• Many people get stuck on spectator mod and can't play the whole game in PVPs games. I've seen a lot of posts around here talking about it and I am pretty sure that devs will fix it really soon.

• There is something about smokes that I'm sure that other people got while going through it or near it : your screen starts to flash really fast in an epileptic way, between white (normal luminosity) and grey~less brightness and it kinda hurts the eyes. It is a visual effect that could be dangerous for people with epileptic problems.

• I also had a huge issue where my game could not run at all unless because of an untrusted file on System32, and if it happens to some other people it will be a big disappoint for people unless they know how to fix it. I posted my problem and how to fix it here.

• Optimization ! Devs did a lot of works with hot fixes, and the game is really enjoyable now ! But still, I am pretty sure that we can get a better optimization, and we can count on them to do it.

And then potential changes:

• The Restricted Area needs to appear clearly on the Tactical Map ! Many times you just try to flank a little corner, a tin wall and then you get into Restricted Area without knowing it until you start walking throught. Since flank is an important aspect of strategies on such games, everyone should be aware of these limits before doing the move.

• Hitboxes of doors need to get fixed. Since you can enfore doors and probably kill someone hiding behind it, the hitbox should get fixed then. As soon as you are hiding in a corner near the door, you still get hit by the enforcement and die for no reason.

• Movespeed needs a nerf ! First, the acceleration 0 to maxspeed is way too short; it leads to dumb situations where someone just starts running to hide in a corner after getting shot at. It also makes inside houses fights ridiculous.
    Secondly, there is a huge non-realistic mechanic in the game : slidejumps. You can literally gain speed by sliding+double tap your jump button to gain speed.
    Thirdly, people needs to get slowed down when they get hit. It could solve the debate about TTK.

• Talking about TTK; I kind of agree with the fact that TTK is a little bit too high and it needs to decrease. But I also think that if we get slowed down by getting shot + the acceleration 0 to maxspeed is slower, then the TTK won't need a huge decrease.

• As soon as you aim, your vision get fuzzy outside of your sight. Obviously it's here to retranscribe the fact that if you look something then everything around is kinda fuzzy for your eyes. It is a good idea, but sadly it bridles the gameplay in a more pratical and competitive way. Especially on such wide maps. If people aim somewhere, they're already watching near their sight, we should not add extra blur aspect around it.

• I find foot-steps really too low in terms of sound. Almost every sounds are weird right now, especially foot-steps. As soon as you run, you don't hear people's steps around you anymore. It also happens for no reason sometimes, and it's really frustrating when holding a point and don't hear him coming to you.

• I find really interesting the fact that your character coughs around smokes and delivers his position that way ! But why does the Gas Mask cost 0 point for Insurgent side then if it's that helpful ?

• Sometimes we can get on free camera spectator mod when you die on Competitive mod; this needs to get fix ! People should not be able to watch the enemy team in such a mod, especially when some of them are abusing it by ghosting for their team.

• You can get stuck in spectator at the beginning of a competitive round, so the round starts at 4vs5. It only happened to me on a specific map, but I don't know if it might happen on other maps.

I would love to see what's your thought about specific points if you got any opposite/same ideas as I shown here.
Have fun guys !

Love you all!

last edited by Kerroro

Gas masks are free for insurgents because of the chemical mortars.
Maybe in firefight they should cost a point because there is no artillary.

Agree with the sound issues.(already posted on that subject, so not going to repeat myself).

Also I agree with your point about blurry vision.
Even when sprinting your peripheral vision is blurred. (Playing on 1920x1080).

last edited by ReeceAUS

I agree with every you wrote here. I'd add that if the 7.62 rifles are going to be doing way more damage than 5.56/5.45 rifles, they should have more recoil than they currently do. They currently feel like they have the same/less recoil than say the G36K

@reeceaus said in Feedback from an INS Competitive Player:

Gas masks are free for insurgents because of the chemical mortars.
Maybe in firefight they should cost a point because there is no artillary.

Yeah because basically, as soon as you want to get a Gas mask on Security side then you have to make a sacrifice on your loadout that insurgents don't have to in competitive.

Also I agree with your point about blurry vision.
Even when sprinting your peripheral vision is blurred. (Playing on 1920x1080).

Yes, I've noticed that if you are sitting somewhere without moving your vision is normal. But as soon as you make a movement (aiming, sprinting, ...) your vision get blurred and it's blocking the comprehension of the area around you, which is annoying sometimes, especially with such wide maps where people can hide from every corners, every angles and windows. You should be aware of what is going on around you by checking with your own eyes, even while sprinting or aiming.

Love you all!

last edited by Kerroro

@allfoshow said in Feedback from an INS Competitive Player:

I agree with every you wrote here. I'd add that if the 7.62 rifles are going to be doing way more damage than 5.56/5.45 rifles, they should have more recoil than they currently do. They currently feel like they have the same/less recoil than say the G36K

I honestly think that every recoils are great right now. Even if they add more damages on 7.62 rifles, I think that the heavy breathing encumbrance right after running is balancing it. It doesn't matter if you have less recoil if you can't even aim correctly at people !

Love you all!

last edited by Kerroro