need help finding files.

@mudhappy instead of verifying, have you tried copy/pasting the original file from a backup zip in a work folder? i make a copy of the games zip folders in a work folder, unzip them and make changes there. if things do not work then i copy/paste the original zip files back to the game zips. this way you are replacing the original file back which then should not need a verification. this works for me anyway, hopefully for you too. i hate verifying my game since i end up having to replace all my edited files back to the game. i guess i really need to make a new edited game folder to copy/paste incase i do need to verify again for some reason.

cool you got the color to change though. i am no coder myself, but i try to learn.

last edited by A Former User

looks like with the update that they have addressed the overlay when taking screenshots. it "hides" with the rest of the hud now for screenshots. while not totally what i was hoping for, it is good enough for me.

I just wanted to mention there's not much "coding" knowledge involved with changing colors. I taught myself how in a matter of minutes without knowing the first thing about it. Sometimes in an xml, or whatever file type, where you see (0; 0; 0) the numbers represent an RGB color code(Red; Green; Blue). You can google "numeric color codes" to find a ton of reference RGB color codes. Or make your own by throwing your own numbers/values in there. That much I know for sure.

Things I'm making a self-educated guess about are...

If there's 4 numbers (0; 0; 0; 0), the 4th number is an overall intensity value. Which can be thought of as a kind of "fader". Higher numbers = more intense/less faded color. The x 0.0 after the (0; 0; 0) is the brightness multiplier. Which you might think would be the same or similar to intensity. But it's not at all. Intensity doesn't really change the way the color looks. It just "fades it" in or out. Kind of like making it more, or less, transparent. Changing the brightness multiplier totally changes how the color looks. The way it seems to work is by adding more "whiteness" to the color. A higher number = a paler/"more white" color. For example a red with a higher brightness multiplier will become more pinkish in color.

We need an xml tweaking thread to explain all the things you can do with them. It's actually really simple and easy to understand stuff for the most part. And the amount of things that can be done just by tweaking the xmls is tremendous. You can customize damn near every aspect of the entire game, to some extent at least, just with xml mods.

last edited by MudHappy

@mudhappy, I don't remember ever seeing 4 zeros in the code anywhere.

last edited by Tattoo

@tattoo, it's kind of a rare find. I only became aware of it while messing around with the daytimes xmls. Where it shows up often(in every one actually).

For example here's a piece from day_3:

DayTimeState
ColorLUT="lut/day_sunny__vol_uncmp.tga"
FogColor="g(179; 210; 244) x 0.4"
FogScatterColor="g(246; 234; 198) x 1.4"
HorizonColor="g(215; 231; 255) x 0.8"
SSAOColor="g(199; 213; 229; 200) x 0.2"
SkyBloomColor="g(205; 220; 231; 320)"
SkyColor="g(143; 193; 255) x 1.2"
SunColor="g(247; 225; 178) x 2.0"
SunDir="(1; -1; 0)"
VignetteFlareColor="g(201; 219; 247; 20)"

I figured out what it does by dropping that 320 in SkyBloomColor to 20. Made it virtually disappear. I've know idea what's up with that g though. Haven't fiddled with it yet.

It's in that gui_controls file I was messing with too.

Material
Blending="alpha"
DiffuseMultiplier="(255; 255; 255; 120)"
MeshParts="arrow_voltage, arrow_temp, arrow_rpm, arrow_pressure, arrow_kmh, arrow_fuel"

Wait...you don't mean 4 zeros like 4 zero values do you? Because that would be nothing right? I've never seen that either...that I can recall. I assumed you meant 4 values.

last edited by MudHappy

@mudhappy, ok thanks. Haven't seen that before. I never messed with the g either so dunno. Sorry.

Maybe it's used to distinguish the color codes from the direction and position codes. Only thing I can think of.