Torridon88's Maps

@mudhappy Yeah that’s the most random bug ever. The thing is, that boulder is a custom object, it’s not part of the stock game. My map doesn’t use any custom objects, nor does the editor allow rocks to move. I can’t see anyway that it could be my map at fault, it just doesn’t seem technically possible for a map to load in a custom object that doesn’t exist in its files.

The only things I think could be behind it are:

• another mod map using custom objects has altered the game files, so when my map is trying to load a stock object, it’s finding somebody else’s custom object instead
  • a mod vehicle using a custom load has done the same thing, so the game is trying to place giant boulders on the back of trucks

If there’s anyone else out there who has any suggestions of what could be causing it and if there’s a fix, I’d be grateful.

Thanks

My only thought is it replaced another object but using the same file names. Is it using the "big rock a" standard textures or custom ones?

Also if two objects have Static set inside their XML's instead of Dynamic and are placed inside the ground or any other object they will go nuts and flail about. So they may be inside another object, ground or tree without ragdoll physics which is causing this.

I will download the map soon and let you know on Steam. On mobile atm but I'll grab one of my XML's I use for my football model if I have it so you can see.

Also is this happening at random places on the map, or random times or does it appear at specific places and times?

Edit: Looking at the ages again that boulder had replaced either:

"Logs short"/"logs medium"/"logs long"

Had the mass increased as well otherwise it would be as light as a log.

I would try this: Make a new test map, small enough just to literally drive/pickup logs with a crane or automatically and drive a very short road to the dropoff. Try this with each type of log each time you try. So if "logs short" didn't cause issues then use a vehicle capable of carrying "logs medium" etc.

last edited by Digital X

@mudhappy, That sounds like a conspiracy theory. hehe. I think the Iranian government is trying to invade Russia, now, and they started catapulting huge rocks over their border to disrupt the flow of logs to the mills so the Russian can't build any more buildings. 😛

EDIT: I loaded a truck and drove around to see if it happened to me and when the truck tipped over, something turned into a big rock.

Does anyone know where that rock is from?

Youtube Video

last edited by Tattoo

I found it!! The rock is from the Badlands and the problem is in the classes/models/u1pbf8f5.xml. There is code in the .xml from the medium logs load model. This is why the logs are being replaced with a rock. lmao!!

<ModelBrand ClipCamera="false" DynamicModel="true">
	<PhysicsModel>
		<Body
			AngularDamping="1.0"
			Collisions="Dynamic"
			Friction="1.7"
			NoSoftContacts="true"
		/>
	</PhysicsModel>
	<GameData LoadAddons="load_logs_medium" LoadType="MediumLogs">
		<LoadPoint Pos="(-2.0;0;0)" />
		<LoadPoint Pos="(2.0;0;0)" />
	</GameData>
	<Occlusion Intensity="1.6" Size="(8.0; 8.0)" />
</ModelBrand>

I just finished Longridge! @Torridon88 I must thank you for all the effort and time you put into building this map! It was a very challenging, fun and rewarding experience!

When I finished all the stock maps (hardcore 1 star) I wanted something harder, because for me personally the stock maps aren't hard. They are ok, but nothing is too challenging, you don't need to think and plan too much what your next move will be.
So when I saw your map I just had to try it and of course I chose to play the Longfall version (1 star & 1 vehicle) 🙂 on stock maps I never really used all the attachments (especially the fuel cisterns, because fuel stations are always so near everything you really don't need them) and the weaker trucks available in the game, but on your map I had to use them because otherwise I wouldn't have finish the map. And I must say that struggling through mud, water, steep climbs and curvy cliff roads with the B130 was very, very fun 😃 also the fact that not every vehicle you find is drivable (no fuel, fully damaged) was something that adds to the challenge and I liked that a lot. But the thing I liked the most is the "progression play" in this map. I can see you put some thought into this because the trucks you find and the locations you find them on are very well thought out. It took me almost 5 hours before I unlocked the first garage 🙂

So overall it was a superb experience lasting almost 14 and a half hours!
I would really recommend this map to all hardcore players who like a challange and would like to play a very detailed and carefully crafted map!

Thanks again for your time and effort and keep up the good work! :the_horns: 🕶

PS: I'm really excited to play Highwater next, but I saw you suggest not to play it until you update it. Can I ask when will that be? 😁

@tattoo Thanks for looking into that man, I hope it didn't take you too long to find. Sorry I never replied, I must have missed the email and I have to admit I don't visit the forums that often. Is there a fix or is it just a case of the player uninstalling the badlands?

@lovro1107 Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed it and it's nice to know the effort is appreciated. I do spend a long time planning how my maps play out. There's thought behind everything in my maps, I don't just plop things down and hope for the best. I still haven't finished playing Longfall myself, I completed two objectives but never finished it. It's probably because I spent that long testing the map as I built it that I was sick of seeing it by the time it was released 😆

Highwater is playable, it's just relentlessly muddy. Some people like that but I'm sure most will find it a bit too grindy. I do intend to revisit it one day, but to do it right I know it'll take a long time. I'll probably end up re-doing all the mud and distributions, maybe add some new areas in while I'm at it. That'll probably take me another 50 hours knowing how fussy I am with trying to get stuff perfect.

After the 300+ hour slog that was building Longridge, I haven't got the stomach for rebuilding Highwater just yet, so I can't give a time frame for when it might be. I'm building a big trail map at the moment, just for my own fun but it'll probably end up on the workshop. It's a bit of a tribute to Blackwater Canyon.

Once I get that finished, I'll return to Highwater, hopefully full of enthusiasm instead of seeing it as a chore.

Hah I can image how you feel after so much time creating and testing when you know each detail of the map and understand why you didn't finish playing your map 🙂

About Highwater... yea I'm not a big fan of the mud so if the map is that muddy, I won't play it yet. I rather wait for the update (even if it takes you a year) and enjoy it then.

And to be honest, I just want to play another one of your maps, so if you're building a new one I bet it'll be as good as Longridge so there is no rush with Highwater 😉

If you need any testers for it, let me know!

@torridon88 don’t hesitate to post pictures of the progress for your new trail map ! 😁

@torridon88, I contacted the author of the map and it has since been fixed.

@tattoo Thanks bud, I feel bad for not realising you’d gone to such effort. Much appreciated. I saw your rock pack too, I think I’ll be using some of those in my trail map if that’s ok?