The "Always Better Option" (Drum Mag, Compensator) Needs Some Downsides.

@cyoce Don't worry about weapon jams. Ever. I can already tell you that NWI doesn't plan on adding a mechanic like that.

As for Horizontal recoil, it's too much on some guns like the Uzi and the MP7. As far as I'm concerned, the Uzi should be a laser beam. MP7 realistically should be a laser beam as well but I can understand adding some horiz. recoil to the gun for balance purposes.

@cyoce What? Call of duty doesn't even have recoil. It has "Bullet cones". Totally different things.

@cyoce said in The "Always Better Option" (Drum Mag, Compensator) Needs Some Downsides.:

RNG recoil is poor game design and should be left in easy shooters like Call of Duty.

Who said horizontal recoil needs to be RNG?

RNG recoil is more of a Squad thing, cod has similar enough patterns like a lot of other shooters.

@amurka said in The "Always Better Option" (Drum Mag, Compensator) Needs Some Downsides.:

"Bullet cones"

Do you mean spread?

Not sure if its been said already but compensator doesnt even reduce vertical recoil at all. I tested it on accident when comparing the svd with long barrel and compensator to decide which to use when I rapid fired them.

Increasing horizontal recoil would do the opposite and make it MORE required as well.

Personally I always take long barrel over compensator because having my M16 hit faster and shoot longer makes it much better for most situations as a versatile long range rifle.

And also “add jamming” is a red flag you dont understand what makes videogames fun.

@ziggylata said in The "Always Better Option" (Drum Mag, Compensator) Needs Some Downsides.:

And also “add jamming” is a red flag you dont understand what makes videogames fun.

This 1000 times.

The only time your weapon would be consistently jamming is when a weapon is being pushed faaaar past its specifications or is being used with sub-par parts, magazines, and ammunition; that being said, it's fairly important to also set a precedent for such a feature as well.

A game like Far Cry 2 could get away with gun jamming in Single Player since it was totally avoidable. In multiplayer Jamming was still around, but was acceptable with a middling TTK and revives: Granted FC2 was nowhere near competitive, and nowhere near as fast as INS despite having some similarities like a point-based supply system for classes. The entire premise of the game involved chasing down an arms dealer selling these shitty weapons anyways, so it made total sense in that game.

EFT also has weapon jamming...And your weapon has to be worn down to such shitty condition that you'll probably die and have your gear stolen before you ever experience it.

Other than that, weapon jamming in round based FPS games is a no-go. In games that factor maintenance and equipment longevity (Stalker, Fallout, System Shock, Far Cry) It's totally acceptable. It's also worth noting that all those games I listed are primarily single player and allow for saving at will.

@biass horizontal recoil is almost always RNG. The limited horizontal recoil that this game already has is RNG. If NWI wanted to add consistent left/right kick, I'd be okay with that.

@AMURKA Call of Duty uses "bullet cones" (I assume you mean spread) for hipfire, but when you aim down sights you have view kick (moving your screen) and gun kick (moving the gun model/point of aim on your screen). There is heavy horizontal recoil in relation to vertical, and it is RNG, which basically means your gun shakes and slowly climbs while you shoot. Sandstorm's gunplay feels a lot closer to this than Insurgency did.