BFG2 gameplay footage (german audio)

Digi_Lord posted a link to this on the closed beta discord and the devs said it was ok to share. This is the build the closed beta testers were playing on - so keep in mind all of this is a work in progress. We've been asked to not go into exhaustive detail about the beta stuff as a lot may change, but a couple of basic things you can see from this video:

1. The use of capture points instead of "attacker / defender" priority like in BFG1. There were 5 in the build we tested.
  2. Limited charges on ordinance: no torpedoes / bombers / boarding spam.
  3. Higher fleet point totals.
  4. Fewer skills, and limited to only the flagship.
  5. New ships for the BFG1 factions like imperial navy.
  6. New factions! Tyrannids were not included in this build, but we played with adeptus mechanicus, dark eldar, craftworld eldar, and merchant tau in addition to the BFG1 ones.

Can you give us a few pointers on how new factions play? Nothing "exhaustive", just a general feel of how they tick.

@smiles-at-death
I cant say much, but given some details have been leaked I can provide some food for thought, perhaps. Nothing here breaches NDA.

IN: Mostly immune to mutiny, and =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=
AM: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=
SM: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=

Chaos: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=

TP: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=
TM: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=

DE: Stealth while moving, good at boarding and very fast but =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=
CWE: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=
CE: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=

T: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=

N: =I=DATA WITHHELD=I=

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

@jamodon said in BFG2 gameplay footage (german audio):

Digi_Lord posted a link to this on the closed beta discord and the devs said it was ok to share. This is the build the closed beta testers were playing on - so keep in mind all of this is a work in progress. We've been asked to not go into exhaustive detail about the beta stuff as a lot may change, but a couple of basic things you can see from this video:

1. The use of capture points instead of "attacker / defender" priority like in BFG1. There were 5 in the build we tested.
  2. Limited charges on ordinance: no torpedoes / bombers / boarding spam.
  3. Higher fleet point totals.
  4. Fewer skills, and limited to only the flagship.
  5. New ships for the BFG1 factions like imperial navy.
  6. New factions! Tyrannids were not included in this build, but we played with adeptus mechanicus, dark eldar, craftworld eldar, and merchant tau in addition to the BFG1 ones.

I like that there are fewer skills and limited charges on ordnance. That's a big step in the right direction.

With that in mind, I hope skills like "Taunt" are removed because there was no counterplay associated with that skill and it was hugely imbalanced vs. some factions vs. others. Generally, I hugely dislike skills that have no counterplay.

Has there been any changes to that slow motion button? What was it called again? Tactical cognitator or something?

Since my departure from the first game, I haven't seen much impressive footage of players playing at a high-level. I hope that the second game brings in good competition.

@lkhero taunt was already removed from BFG:A1 and it will not get a comeback in 2
tac cog wil exist in pve including expanding it with a full pause button for easy screenshots i assume
but wont exist at all in pvp

warning things might change etc etc

@CALiGeR_Reborn think necron phase out was also mentioned in a article tho not in any detail

edit from gamereactor
Each of these factions has its own strengths and peculiarities, taken from the Warhammer 40,000 lore. The Imperium's soldiers, for example, are insensitive to the effect of mutiny, while the Necron ships will leave the map and flee if the morale of their troops is down to zero. We particularly enjoyed the Drukhari's way of fighting, as you don't have a shield, but your ships are invisible when they're moving, presenting an interesting way of playing which forces you to constantly move your units, but proves effective against slow fleets like the Orks.
tho there are more then a few mistakes in that, i think it was written by someone who doesnt know 40k and the difference between imperial navy and space marines

last edited by Ashardalon

@ashardalon said in BFG2 gameplay footage (german audio):

@lkhero taunt was already removed from BFG:A1 and it will not get a comeback in 2
tac cog wil exist in pve including expanding it with a full pause button for easy screenshots i assume
but wont exist at all in pvp

warning things might change etc etc

@CALiGeR_Reborn think necron phase out was also mentioned in a article tho not in any detail

edit from gamereactor
Each of these factions has its own strengths and peculiarities, taken from the Warhammer 40,000 lore. The Imperium's soldiers, for example, are insensitive to the effect of mutiny, while the Necron ships will leave the map and flee if the morale of their troops is down to zero. We particularly enjoyed the Drukhari's way of fighting, as you don't have a shield, but your ships are invisible when they're moving, presenting an interesting way of playing which forces you to constantly move your units, but proves effective against slow fleets like the Orks.
tho there are more then a few mistakes in that, i think it was written by someone who doesnt know 40k and the difference between imperial navy and space marines

Thanks for answering. Are you in the beta? The Taunt stuff is great to hear, but no TacCog in PvP is new to me. Is this for the second game or does it exist in the first game as well?

Lastly, from that Gamereactor quote, yeah... Dark Eldar had Shadowfields on their ship which worked like Eldar Holofields on the TT. It was literally a exact copy and paste, but since then, their fluff for Shadowfields have changed dramatically. Even in EPIC 40K, they worked very differently than Holofields that was depicted in the BFG fluff, with I believe EPIC's updates being the most recent in how these shields worked on larger, capital-sized craft. Then again, Holofields in BFG:A did not work anything like they did on the table-top, which was frustrating to me to no end to say the least. Don't even get me started on Pulsars.

On the TT, smaller Shadowfields have a 2++ (Invulnerable) save that is pretty much impervious against everything, but once you roll a 1 and fail the test, it goes away from the rest of the game. This is very unique and fluffy for the Dark Eldar, but if I was to do it in a BFG game (like Armada 2), I would pay very careful attention to aspects of RNG with NPE (Negative Player Experience). Having Shadowfields stripped off your BB immediately out of pure luck would absolutely suck.

More on this later..

@lkhero for the first game it was limited to 60 seconds per match of tac cog in pvp
pve kept it to infinite
dont remember when it was changed, pretty sure it was before ranked was added to BFG1 so a long time ago

It's weird that the Imperium is the one whose ships don't care about morale. If there were one faction above all others you'd expect to flee, it'd be Imperium...

Maybe they got them confused with Space Marines or Adeptus Mechanicus? Or it was something like an Ecclesiarchy bonus?

@romeo yea that journalist got factions mixed up
dont think hes a 40k expert
its marines hes talking about

@ashardalon said in BFG2 gameplay footage (german audio):

@romeo yea that journalist got factions mixed up
dont think hes a 40k expert
its marines hes talking about

Ah, glad to hear it, that seems more lore-friendly.

Appreciate the reply, thanks.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.