sniper shotgun..

I guess there is no nerf for the shotgun anytime soon in this game (distance wise).....There has been how many hot fixes sense when this became an issue.

I think if the damage per “pellet” is dropped a bit then at a longer range you will be hit with less pellets because of the spread and take less damage.

Why would it be an issue? Buckshot is lethal up to 100 meters, slugs and flechette can be lethal way over that range.

@mcfosat said in sniper shotgun..:

Why would it be an issue? Buckshot is lethal up to 100 meters, slugs and flechette can be lethal way over that range.

I doubt that a 12 gauge buckshot will kill anyone at 100 meters, especially when the target is wearing a protective vest which is resistant to 7,62 mm Rifle ammunition.
He might get injured but not severly.
Look at this Video to learn more about effectivity of shotguns and different 12 gauge ammo types : Birdshot, Birdshot ( cutshells ), Buckshot and Slugs
Minute 7:20 for 100 yards = 91,44 meters
Youtube Video

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@gsg_9_lightning said in sniper shotgun..:

I doubt that a 12 gauge buckshot will kill anyone at 100 meters, especially when the target is wearing a protective vest which is resistant to 7,62 mm Rifle ammunition.
He might get injured but not severly.

Hitting a bulletproof vest at 100 meters might or might not cause injuries depending on a few things but hitting someone's face at that range with buckshot would be still lethal.

Watch that video and tell me that a single buckshot will hit your head on 100 meters. That would be pure coincidence !
The hit radius is about 2 meters and more depending on the barrel length of the shotgun and the rifle spiral inside of the barrel ( if used such a barrel ).

And again i doubt, that the single buckshot globule which might perhaps, eventually, coincidently hit your head on 100 meters, will have enough kinetic energy to break your skullbone and damage your brain.
I say it´s more than unlikely.

If you have made other experience on middle-eastern battlefield than feel free to tell us, as you seem to belong to military personell ( your avatar picture ).

@gsg_9_lightning look how he is shooting ....... on a rest ...... i dont see him moving around and trying to shoot. In game it is too accurate. I still think it is op. I my opinion.

I would have to agree whole heartedly. I have seen several occasions of someone using a shotgun more effectively than a sniper rifle. Not to mention in these instances the target was quite far away and they were all point and click insta kills and a tad overkill if you ask me. I am no stranger to the great debate that is shotgun accuracy and effective range but in this game it leans more towards the getting carried away side of things in my opinion. I will also mention I have shot shotguns in real life and while I am no sharp shooter or trained soldier nor do I have a great deal of experience with them I did find it to be rather difficult to be very accurate with them even at relatively close distances. Cue the pro shots comments telling me other wise 😂.

@gsg_9_lightning That’s all fine and well those are awesome shots to be sure none of them were a 100 yards away! Epic fail bro! Lol

@burgrat said in sniper shotgun..:

@gsg_9_lightning look how he is shooting ....... on a rest ...... i dont see him moving around and trying to shoot. In game it is too accurate. I still think it is op. I my opinion.

I think like you BurgRat, that in Insurgency Sandstorm the shotgun is too overpowered.
The guy in the video is on a rest and uses no aids for aiming like a red dot, holographic, reflex, scope or whatever is used in sandstorm.
He really needs stability to take precise shots on 100-200 yards. Although i am sure if he tried i think he could hit the target without a rest on 100 yards too.

The kinetic energy of the slugshot projectile should be sufficient enough to do some serious damage to the chest ( rips and organs ) on 100 yards although the target wears a light kevlar vest or flackjacket.
Youtube Video

I watched a few videos where special slugshot variants even penetrate a steel plate ( which could be a trauma plate on the armour vest for example).
Youtube Video

@planetcanada said in sniper shotgun..:

@gsg_9_lightning That’s all fine and well those are awesome shots to be sure none of them were a 100 yards away! Epic fail bro! Lol

What are you talking about mate ? You said : " .... I did find it to be rather difficult to be very accurate with them even at relatively close distances "
That videos were only my reply on your message.

Practice, practice, practice ! Hard training , easy fight ! You can achieve such precision too !

@gsg_9_lightning Haha alright fair enough but I’m really not that worried about being that good in real life. Im talking about the game and hoping they will fix it so that not every shot within 150 yards is a dead accurate insta kill with a shotgun which I imagine would be very difficult even for those fellas in your videos!

If you watch the very first video you have to admit that it is no problem to hit a target with a slugshot on 200 yards ( even without a scope or aimpoint, holographic or reflex sight )
It will still do very serious damage on that distance. So i am quite sure, that the effectivity of the slugshot rounds in Sandstorm are similar to reality.
Here is a little video which demonstrates the power of a regular slugshot round on a Level 3A kevlar body armour ( which only protects against projectiles from pistol calibers for example : 9mm, 10mm, cal.45 )
Youtube Video

And in comparison this video below shows what rifle ammunition 5,56x45 mm Nato ( modern AR-15 / M4 / M16 ammunition ) and 7,62x39 mm ( classic AK-47 ammunition ) does with that same Level 3A Protection class ( which is much lower than what military is using right now )
Youtube Video

This topic seems to be very important to many players ( especially for Burgrat ) that´s the reason why i just bump this one up 😉

This old guy hits a man sized target from 230 yards (about 210 meters) with slugs. And he is shooting with iron sights and from a standing position.

Youtube Video

@action83 lmao, now we just need a Parkinson's patient to shoot a target with a slug at 250 m and people still won't get it.

@action83 that"s some good shooting , but was his target moving or would he have the same result?

@burgrat that's not the point, the point is to show what the weapon and round are capable of, even in presumably unskilled hands. The argument is that shotguns are good in game right now and that they do not require a nerf, given that they reflect realistic shotgun behavior better than most fps games. Personally, I'm happy that NWI made shotguns into something else than the blunderbusses they are in most games.

I see the the results and i stand corrected. I know it won't happen but to keep things fair, they should give the shotgun to every class at a higher points hit on their inventory. I have said the last on this topic as i can see that the community is getting a little up tight about my posts. Thanks for all who replied. I was just looking for a fair solution, and not to ruffle feathers.

last edited by BurgRat