Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely

@thehappybub Well, a longer barrel adds some more velocity to the shot. A Heavy Barrel in Ins2014 was mainly to counter weapon sway, but it did reduce recoil by 10%.

@marksmanmax Actually now that I think about it you're right, a long barrel would increase bullet velocity.

Edit: lmao just noticed there was a second page too.

last edited by thehappybub

@thehappybub Yeah that's the intention lmao. It increases the range of your gun, but due to the damage increase that it also comes with I think it just has to go.

Of course, the bolts should already have longer barrels because they're sniper rifles, for fuck's sake.

I also find "greased bolt" to be kind of dumb … maybe straight pull bolt, but who doesn't grease their bolt already??

It's also 3 points, so I guess some WD40 is like heavy armor now.

last edited by thehappybub

@thehappybub said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

I also find "greased bolt" to be kind of dumb … maybe straight pull bolt, but who doesn't grease their bolt already??

It's also 3 points, so I guess some WD40 is like heavy armor now.

I mean, it does counter Heavy Armor already.

You're not wrong, lol

Just counters Heavy Armor faster lmao

Also, here's the test I recorded that shows the Long Barrel can drastically increase damage:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ykrRR0uXHP4f4z9stymq89MvTlpcS6a0

last edited by MarksmanMax

@marksmanmax Just watched your video, I think it's pretty dumb that it works like that.

@thehappybub Went from a 2-shot to Light Armor to a one-shot on Heavy. That's why it really, really shouldn't exist.

I'm convinced that the M14 EBR /w a Long Barrel is the deadliest weapon in the entire game.

I just realized that I've never actually tested the TTK on the PKM. I'm gonna do that and if it doesn't one-shot kill already I wanna see if a Long Barrel changes that.

@marksmanmax said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

You're not wrong, lol

Also, here's the test I recorded that shows the Long Barrel can drastically increase damage:

Well alright, you got me on that, I didnt think itd work like that.

I would however ask you actually get a more accurate test, you blasted 2 people with light armor and 2 people without and then blasted 1 person with heavy armor an 1 person without armor with the long barrel.

Id like a developer response to this, actually.

@ziggylata Yea more tests would be better, but at least his video does clearly show that it one shots heavy armor with a long barrel, which is a problem in and of itself.

Lol give shotguns Long Barrel. They need a buff amirite!? jajajaja lololol kekekekek I'm hilarious

@amurka said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

Lol give shotguns Long Barrel. They need a buff amirite!? jajajaja lololol kekekekek I'm hilarious

If you're gonna post cancer, go to 4chan or something. This isn't helpful in the slightest and doesn't improve Sandstorm at all.

@ziggylata said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

@marksmanmax said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

You're not wrong, lol

Well alright, you got me on that, I didnt think itd work like that.

I would however ask you actually get a more accurate test, you blasted 2 people with light armor and 2 people without and then blasted 1 person with heavy armor an 1 person without armor with the long barrel.

Id like a developer response to this, actually.

If you want to test some damage models and shit, here's the way I did it.

1. Jump into a match of Local Play.
  2. Hit that minus key on your keypad that brings up the Debug Menu.
  3. That Toggle AI enables / disables AI thinking, which is how I can just freeze bots for testing reasons. You can also toggle notarget which I'd recommend cause you don't wanna get shot lol.

The test is pretty basic and yeah, it could use some repeating for sure. It gets a little annoying to run Local Play tests cause it takes quite a while to really get any results.

I was testing G3A3 with long barrel at range, maybe like 50m. And it was kind of inconsistent. Close up it indeed one shots heavy armor, but past 50m it does 2 shots sometimes. Still pretty broke though, and I agree with the 4 points on your other overall post.

I was testing G3A3 with long barrel at range, maybe like 50m. And it was kind of inconsistent. Close up it indeed one shots heavy armor, but past 50m it does 2 shots sometimes. Still pretty broke though, and I agree with the 4 points on your other overall post.

Yeah, it doesn't two-shot very far for the G3A3 I know.

Are you local play testers even sure that AI have the same damage/health model as a player in versus?

@jarple said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

Are you local play testers even sure that AI have the same damage/health model as a player in versus?

Why would they be weaker than players? They're already less skilled than most players; what's the point in reducing their HP? If anything, they'd take more bullets to down.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@jarple we're not sure but there would be no reason why they'd be different.