The Problem With the AI

I agree with your points, the thing with bipods annoys me the most. With sandstorm, it seems like I have a huge X on my head. The second I place that bipod down I get gunned down like a dog

Did some local play testing again. 2 rounds of crossing as security, just letting bots do their own thing and not interfering the game at all.

• Both rounds resulted in loss. First round the security bots were able to clear the surroundings of OBJ A house but never cleared upstairs and thus didn't capture even the first objective. Bots have a lot of trouble with multiple story buildings and they don't seem to even go to the objective after they have cleared the area. Second round lost, the bots captured OBJ A by luck when there was 0 seconds left in the clock. Lost on OBJ B, the cache that needs to be destroyed. Bots got somehow stuck near the objective and didn't plant the bomb at all and then the next wave of insurgent wiped everyone out.

• Bot skill was 0,9. Seems like bots move while shooting more often a when the difficulty is higher!

• In one situation again, a bot shouted "I'm flanking!" and then started doing some sort of manouver. Unfortunately it was interrupted by bullets, so I didn't get to see what was just about to unfold.

• In local play the bots on your team are very often teleported back to spawn. My guess is this is somesort of unstuck behaviour. But most of the times the bots aren't even stuck.

@jensiii from your testing, it seems the bots are really, really dumb lol.

my 2 cents (for what its worth.. pun intended)

I play on the Insurgency.pro server on Insurgency 2, and their bots are designed to be OP, and I can see the influence here from that.

I really do enjoy killing OP bots as it makes me a better player, but there are some very glaring issues that need to be addressed.

1. Bot room clearing & cornering... they really suck at this, it's laughably bad, it's actually the exact opposite of what they are in the open.

2. Supports getting shot down extremely fast.... I concur, this is absolutely nuts and it needs to be adjusted.

3. Technicals (MG Trucks)..... they should have a 2-3 second TTT (Time To Target) adjustment, meaning their fire for 2-3 seconds will be inaccurate, if you get hit it would be sheer dumb luck.

4. Allow for selection of difficulty in searching for COOP matches (Easy, Normal, Hard, and OP).

Love getting shot by shit that isn't even aiming at me. You know...the bots that come around a corner and shoot the ground 2 times and then you but they're still looking STRAIGHT DOWN?

Haha...they knew they were going to delay this dumpster fire months ago.

@xdark said in The Problem With the AI:

they knew they were going to delay this dumpster fire months ago

Makes me sad, but kind of have to agree.

After doing a lot of solo play (killing my AI teamates) and just taking my time to get to each objective, I can appreciate the work the devs have done on their AI. They do some cool stuff and solo gameplay is a lot of fun once you get ride of the AI teamates.

However in the run and gun online coop play, things happen too fast that the AI seem extremely limited. Obviously things are way too easy and predictable at this point.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop in the future...

@lightspeed said in The Problem With the AI:

They do some cool stuff

What do the AI do that they haven't done in ins2? Now some blow themselves up, which was a thing on modded servers. Now some are placed in objectives to camp them. That's about it.

@thehappybub said in The Problem With the AI:

They do some cool stuff

What do the AI do that they haven't done in ins2? Now some blow themselves up, which was a thing on modded servers. Now some are placed in objectives to camp them. That's about it.

Not comparing to Ins2, would take too long!

I didn't notice these things in coop as much because everything is rushing and gunning. But when I take my time, play tactical, always going from good cover to good angels, I noticed a few Cool things in solo play:

• AI throwing a variety of grenades: flash while breaching or while I'm in cover, grenade while in cover or camping, smoke to advance or defend.
  • Taking cover behind vehicles or various walls objects.
  • Flanking, sometimes rushing sometimes walking.
  • Search you out if you camp
  • Setup defensive postions in decent places.
  • About 2-3 scenarios of bot placement, better then only one but would need a lot more to make it more dynamic and fresh every time.
  • If you take your time and take different paths, the game seems different because the bots search you out in various ways making the game feel more dynamic.

I'm not saying AI don't need work, just trying to give props to the devs because they do deserve some. I've already commented a lot about AI and coop improvements that I'd like in various threads so won't keep repeating it for now.

I have enjoyed soloing the most, coop at the moment has gotten too repetitive and run and gun so avoiding until I can have a private game with only my friends.

last edited by lightspeed

Search you out if you camp.
If you take your time and take different paths, the game seems different because the bots search you out in various ways making the game feel more dynamic.

These are because the bots always know your location at any given time, and will eventually "just happen across you" (if you want to know what I mean, 3rd person observe someone on insurgent final objective on Hideout.) When someone is on the bridge. Bots often have their pathing messed up and end up DIRECTLY BELOW the person, even aiming their guns at them through the bridge even though they can't see the person.

This is harder to do now that they (stupidly) removed free-floating observer cam when you die. It's a lot harder to notice these things without a birds-eye view.

last edited by AMURKA

The bots always knowing your location and having no audible footstep sounds also makes for some dumb moments.

I liked playing coop mode for the challenge for awhile. Then I started getting so pissed of by the bots that I went to the internet to find out. "Why are the bots so retarded in Insurgency sandstorm?". It's so frustrating knowing that only camping in a corner and watching doors is the only option. I loved coop mode in the first, I hate in the second. I'm deleting this game until further notice.

And those super accurate molotov cocktails thrown across the whole map by AI.