Please add variable zoom levels and flip-able magnifiers

I like the 4x elcan spectre dr but dislike the fact that I can't click a button and use the 1x power option in game. I've made a post about it before but I'd really like to see that become a feature, flip-able magnifiers for the red dots and holos so it could be a 1x with just the red dot then click a button and then use the 3x magnifier. Please NWI

Honestly, I agree I want that feature for flipping on 2x for holos and red dots like in Rainbow 6 with Glaz's gun

I'm all for this. The new map size necessitates scopes on a lot of maps but scopes are unwieldy in close quarters (especially with low quality, which I need to avoid the massive FPS hit).

Would be awesome! Im constantly switching between 1x and 2x in game.
Pain in the ass when u can see the unflippable, flippable magnifier in from of you lol

But doesn't that just remove the negatives of higher power scopes? I'm all for it in co-op but not for versus.

Maybe the flipable version could be 1 point more?

@dirteebreaks

damn youre fast

It would have to be more expensive that any scope without changeable zoom. Probably something like 4-5 points and I think it would be ok. You'd be sacrificing most of your loadout for it.

@marxman-lmc said in Please add variable zoom levels and flip-able magnifiers:

@dirteebreaks

damn youre fast

It would have to be more expensive that any scope without changeable zoom. Probably something like 4-5 points and I think it would be ok. You'd be sacrificing most of your loadout for it.

It'd be worth it

I agree, the models of the scopes they use ingame are visibly able to stop magnifying, if they didnt use models like that I dont think id agree as hard as I do.

The cost should be there and you should be able to do it.

Beat me to the suggestion haha. Optics should be true to real steel functionality definetly! Variable zoom is a must if were going to have any amount of realism.

@marxman-lmc the negatives are that you have to switch to a lower magnification to fight in close quarters (which is minor, but could be deadly if you're taken by surprise) and increased supply point cost. The C79 should probably be made 3 points (instead of 2, tying with the 2x holo) to balance it. Alternatively, the 4x scopes could use the iron sights on the top instead of the reticle, making it less useful in cqb than a 1x optic.

Agreed, this is the only reason that I do not use anything higher than a 2x scope. I cannot bare the handicap of 4x in cqb battles.

@cyoce Thats not a very big negative compared to not being able to aim effectively in CQC at all

If you take a 4x you're hip firing indoors, and thats the way I would want it to stay. No need to give people EVEN MORE incentive to take magnified optics. I like that Sandstorm seems to emphasize the important of irons. Take a pistol if you want a scope and want to do well indoors. Pistols would cease to have much of the functionality they do now simply because there isn't too much of a reason to waste supply on them if you can have the best of both worlds.

I'm assuming you're talking about versus.

last edited by Marxman LMC

@marxman-lmc I'd actually say that versus is the only place your point actually makes sense. Why can't there be variable zoom or flip sights or alt sights in coop?

@marxman-lmc The only reason irons are important in Sandstorm is the optics look like shit. I never thought I would find a game where I preferred the M16's iron sights to an optic.

I agree that it's less of a drawback, but I don't see that as a problem. Paying 3 points for the option to use a high mag scope or run irons in CQB sounds balanced to me. Because scopes are really sidegrades that cost supply points. Unless you have a specific use in mind, a scope is a net waste of points as the benefits cancel out with the downsides.

I'd say easier target acquisition is absolutely a justifiable use of points. The problem with higher magnification scopes is that the more you increase the magnification, the higher the cost, however its use becomes more and more situational. If you're giving up so many points for the zoom, you should also have an alternate sight for CQC so that your weapon isn't utterly useless.

@thehappybub

Thats where pistols come into play

and yes, I'd very much support this in Co-op.

@cyoce I agree thats its a net waste, but a lot of people dont think that. I see a lot of people sitting around being useless with scopes as is, and I'm afraid what this would do to gameplay. Irons and 1x are what you should be running 90 percent of the time.

You could argue that maybe it would give people more incentive to move around with scopes, but again, pistols.

last edited by Marxman LMC

@marxman-lmc said in Please add variable zoom levels and flip-able magnifiers:

I see a lot of people sitting around being useless with scopes as is, and I'm afraid what this would do to gameplay. Irons and 1x are what you should be running 90 percent of the time.

You could argue that maybe it would give people more incentive to move around with scopes, but again, pistols.

I'd definitely argue that it gives them incentive to move around. Pistols are quite weak. If you go onto point with a pistol, even the G17 or L106, you are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage. If someone can't go on point without putting themselves at such a disadvantage, they'll opt to simply stay where they are. Even, in extreme cases, if they're the last person alive. The ability to get in closer while only minimally compromising their effectiveness is much more likely to encourage them to push up.

@cyoce

I disagree about pistols being weak. I often switch to them even when I have a rifle with irons or a 1x optic. They have a crazy fast ADS time, they're short as hell so really easy to maneuver and shoot wherever you feel like, they have a good ROF and good enough accuracy for CQC.The length is a huge advantage, it often gives me that second to be ready when I see a barrel poking around the corner. I often shoot them before they peek through the wall. I can basically put my face up to a corner and not be exposed with a pistol. I think pistols are really good in the right hands ATM, it's just a question of usage.

@marxman-lmc I wouldn't say they're weak either. They should honestly be weaker versus armor. Heavy armor should be completely impervious to them tbh, forcing you to go for head shots.