Not familiar with the board-game, but love 40K and played most 40K video-games, also have recently put 80 hours into BattleTech (another turn-based strategy game) which in my opinion is a king of the genre.
That being said, this does a lot right and i have enjoyed it immensely thus far. The atmosphere is excellent, and the FPS mode adds a sweet dynamic to a top-down turn based game.
This is only BETA at the time of review, and while it is pretty damn SOLID, it does need some tweaking as you would expect.
- Great atmosphere.
- High fidelity.
- Cool card system adds another layer of strategy.
- Excellent cinematics and voice acting (so far).
- Sweet FPS mode for visual clarity and immersion.
- LOTS of visual customisation.
- 2 Factions.
- 2 Campaigns.
- Very difficult.
- Competitive online matchmaking.
- Some janky cinematic camera movements.
- Camera doesn't always follow the action correctly and moments are missed.
- RNG is a little too brutal in some circumstances (cards can help alleviate this).
- Combat could use more visual/audio impact.
- Ability to survive more than 1 attack would be nice, but understand this might be a board game rule. Some incentive to keep Terminators alive/hero termies would be cool, though.
- Timer in PVE seems unnecessary.
Honestly, not a lot of cons, and most things can be improved quite happily. Great job devs!