Feedback for the moderators of this forum

There are some intensive conversations about certain topics here on the forum. And that's good, because it shows that players care about the game. I certainly do, that's why I invest my time writing here.

These intense conversations of course present a challenge for the mods, because of high level of discretion is required from them when moderating. A moderator who lacks that skill can really do some damage.

A moderator made a false accusation a day ago: he blamed @Benz for saying something he didn't say. The moderator didn't read the message properly and understood it wrong. This mistake was called out by someone else in the thread, I saw the mistake myself as well. And it's okay, people make mistakes sometimes, that's not the problem.

But now I see that @Benz is banned.

I sure do hope it was not a mod who was too proud to admit that he made a mistake.

All @Benz posts were appropriate in that specific thread and he did no other posts in other threads after the moderator made his post in that thread. Why was he banned from the forum, if he did nothing wrong here?

He discussed things intensively and that's what (I suppose) the forum is for and some people might not agree with him, but that is not a reason for a ban.

There are people on the forum whos' opinions I personally don't like or prefer. Should they be banned as well? Of course not.

I have heard and seen people being banned from other game forums just for their opinions, because there have been rogue moderator(s) on the forum. I hope this is not the case here.

If this is the case, then it means the following things:

• No one can say anything here, because somebody might turn what you say upside down, get butthurt and get you banned. End of feedback.

• Different opinions don't matter, because there can be only one opinion, others get banned. End of feedback.

I hope this case is talked openly, because now it stinks like censorship and witch hunt. I don't think you moderators want to have that sort of atmosphere on the forums.

If @Benz ban stays, I have list of other people for you to ban right away because they should be banned as well, if he was somehow "worth" banning. That's the only way you can justify the ban for the post that are publicly available for everyone to see on these forums.

Who is John Galt?

@jensiii said in Feedback for the moderators of this forum:

A moderator made a false accusation a day ago: he blamed @Benz for saying something he didn't say. The moderator didn't read the message properly and understood it wrong. This mistake was called out by someone else in the thread, I saw the mistake myself as well. And it's okay, people make mistakes sometimes, that's not the problem.

But now I see that @Benz is banned.

I sure do hope it was not a mod who was too proud to admit that he made a mistake.

Wait, Benz was banned? nani the fuck

Why, though? He was a bit of an asshole (arguably though, I'm also a bit of an asshole) but fucking hell, he didn't say anything banworthy.

Apparently going full Ben Shapiro is against the rules of this forum.

EDIT: Can you link the exact post the ban was for?

last edited by MarksmanMax

Definitely going onto the Sandstorm forums later to ask about Benz getting banned / unbanned.

@Benz definitely came off more abrasive than most people, but the situation he was banned for really didn't make sense. If the mods apply the logic behind his ban to others, then there's a bunch of people that would need to go lol.

@marksmanmax

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/29335/we-want-the-one-hit-kills/197

That post is Benz exactly quoting word to word what he said. The original post was removed, probably because it was reported by someone. There was nothing else in the original post than what is quoted there.

You can see the moderators post above in the link. You can see from his response that he has misunderstood what was said and gave a rushed warning. Either he lacks discretion or he was just in a hurry. Either way a mistake.

Benz still posted after that, completely appropriate. Then suddenly was banned later.

@thehappybub yeah he is intensive and passionate about ehat he talks and responded the way people responded to him: if anyone gave proper arguments, Benz discussed properly with them. Whenever people ignored rational, good arguments and didn't give any arguments in their responses, Benz responded the same way back. It' not like he or anyone of us have to please that kind of people in any way.

@jensiii Yeah lmao, Benz just messaged me on Discord telling me pretty much the same thing. I'm gonna ask around on Discord now and see what the fuck's happening

@jensiii Honestly the mod's reaction seemed like a whoa he's talking back to me, ban. Very good Christian-Minecraft-server-style if you ask me...

@thehappybub I feel like I'm about to get banned from the Sandstorm Discord since I'm talking about Benz right now lol.

He was a flame-baiter, some of his points held truth but yelling "debunked" than bashing somebody for stating their opinion when your "debunked" theory was based on your opinion isn't "logic". Plus I'm sure banning him was more than just about that thread, he was being a soccer mom in the discord as well and it all added to get him banned. press (F) to pay respects

F

Already tired of the same five people mourning his ban. @Zucchini summed him up pretty well. He was obnoxious. Whenever someone said something he disagreed with he would simply yell “debunked” or something really stupid like “Thanks for your opinion. If you'd provide actual gameplay arguments it'd actually help the devs.” (actual quote from him) Eventually he stepped a little too far and got a warning from a mod. A warning. And by continuing to argue over it (despite the mod specifically telling him it was not up for debate), he managed to turn that warning into a temporary ban. If you see him tell him I said well played.

@zucchini said in Feedback for the moderators of this forum:

being a soccer mom in the discord

What does discord have to do with this forum?

@tooth-decay said in Feedback for the moderators of this forum:

He was obnoxious.

Since when is that a bannable offense?

I'm also already tired of the censorship and witch hunting in this forum, and it's only just started. How did he go too far? Did Benz use offensive expletives? If so, provide evidence so we can see just how toxic Benz actually was.

Time after time, post after post, Benz asked questions, stated facts and constructively challenged and dissected opposing arguments by providing detailed counter-arguments to truly help people become aware of what they were actually asking for and talking about.

Saying something like "Thanks for your opinion. If you'd provide actual gameplay arguments it'd actually help the devs" isn't toxic, Benz literally thanked someone for their opinion. If you derive sarcasm or anything else from Benz's posts, that's on you, that's your deciphering. Again, with the whole 'yelling' as he said "debunked", that's you're deciphering, unless specific punctuation was involved, you've come to that conclusion all by yourself.

One of the 'forumers' in the thread who disliked Benz said this...

@mefirst said in We want the one hit kills.:

Well its trolling to me in the sense that you are not interested in a discussion. As soon as somebody is simply not agreeing with you, you are instantly trying to disparage the people that not agree with you.

This is 100% false. My previous point about individuals deciphering Benz's posts in THEIR own way is proven exactly. You can clearly see that prior to this 'claim'...

@benz said in We want the one hit kills.:

I respect your opinion, i dont share it though.

Which i HIGHLY agree with!

u2 are arguing nostalgia and habit instead of gameplay. at least i can respect those reasons.

And further into the thread...

Once more... nothing of value for a low TTK, besides the fact you enjoy it. Which is fine.

You can clearly see from just these examples alone that Benz doesn't try to instantly disparage people who aren't in agreement. This forumer wasn't the only one to incorrectly decipher Benz's posts and get offended by their own deciphering. This is the theme across the entire thread.

It's not like Benz totally disregarded anyone else's view that didn't align with Benz's own view. Benz was interested in a discussion, hence all the questions, logical and factual counter-statements, reasoning, counter-arguing, agreeing, disagreeing. All's Benz wanted was a discussion, but all's he got was a witch hunt and a silencing because of those who got defensive and offended (by their own deciphering) when they were challenged. That's all this is.

I was a neutral individual in this whole situation, I didn't follow the 'heated' thread until I saw the ban, and an unjustified ban is something I can't stand by. So I started by reading through of every one of Benz's post to see where exactly Benz said something offensive. There was nothing of that nature. I encourage un-biased new comers to do the same.

last edited by Jarple

Yeah @Zucchini described benz pretty well. While his points were well very made, when someone disagreed with him he'll flamebait em by taunting them. Look, there's nothing wrong with having a different opinion at all because surely all of you are given the right to express what you believe about the game but Benz was genuinely an ass if he saw someone disagreed with his opinion and would sometimes insult them for lack of skill or lack of understanding.

Benz made some good points but the way he handled criticism and disagreement just made him look like it was bound to happen. But I do admit, Benz has made some good points so I'll press F for him.

@jarple If you derive sarcasm or anything else from Benz's posts, that's on you, that's your deciphering.

This exactly! People read text, and make assumptions without any context of tone of voice or facial expression or body language. This meam that certain kind of people can get their "feelings hurt" on their own without any help. They can just twist things in their mind. I said about this before when beta2 started.

If this was a basis for ban, thay would mean anyone can get banned not by what they wrote, but because someone else deciphered something completely wrong.

@tooth-decay said in Feedback for the moderators of this forum:

Already tired of the same five people mourning his ban.

This is not only about @Benz

It's even more about how these situations are handled now and in the future.

There's already a lot of things in your, @Zucchini and @Slazenger responses to "get butthurt about" and "demand justice for my feelings" etc, if I just decipher it in a certain way.

If mods handle things this way, there are lot of people yet to get banned. Myself included. Why? Because I have said in my posts things that can make people's precious feelings get hurt, if they just happen to decipher it in a certain way. Why am I not banned? I should be banned as well if the criteria is this.

last edited by jensiii

@derpydays said in Feedback for the moderators of this forum:

because surely all of you are given the right to express what you believe about the game

Well apparently not. You could get banned like Benz.

You say this...

Benz was genuinely an ass if he saw someone disagreed with his opinion and would sometimes insult them

The following quote is a response from Benz on someone else's opinion...

Does that look like an insult? Where are the insults that Benz has said? I don't see them. Surely there must be an insult somewhere in this quote.

You say...

but the way he handled criticism and disagreement

The way he disagreed like this?

I'm sorry i disagree with you and argue with logic and facts

How else can Benz argue? With opinions? Well in that can any debate/discussion/argument can end right their because opinions are subjective. Whats the point of logic and facts if people get banned for juxtaposing them against someone else's opinion.

Unbelievable.

@jensiii Also spot on. Rip debate, Rip discourse, Rip discussion.

With this forum issue aside, I've still got high hopes for this game. Keen to see what's included in the next patch. I excitedly open up steam every morning, hoping to see the glorious text at the bottom of the client 'DOWNLOADING 1 of 1'.