Simple additions for added immersion.

I'm sure the priorities are bug fixes and generally smoothing out the game experience, but these are some ideas I think would be easy to do to make the game experience even more immersive. If any of these are already in the works, obviously disregard.

-American female security faces and voices.
-More variety of voice options for security forces.
-I'd LOVE to see voices be purchasable with leveling up points. Have voices of soldiers who sound more calm and collected require more points, so the longer you play and the more experience you have, the more experienced your character sounds.

I know this probably won't happen but adding perks that can be acquired and equipped as you level.
Especially a faster reload? The reloads in this game are atrocious. I've instructed teenage girls who after a day of training and practice pulled off a tactical reload faster than the snails in this game.
If you want to get REALLY detailed, you could make the reload speed slower while suppressed, or slower after sprinting, and faster when standing still and not under fire.

I'd also love to see more options for voices and character faces. I think this is coming, once the main mechanics of the game are a bit better ironed out.

@trashbandicoot said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

The reloads in this game are atrocious. I've instructed teenage girls who after a day of training and practice pulled off a tactical reload faster than the snails in this game.

A decent number of people complain about the reload speeds in the game and say they can easily do better. I'd love to see a video or I don't buy it. Reload speeds in this game are waaaay more realistic than in most computer games.

@MAA_Bunny

A decent number of people complain about the reload speeds in the game and say they can easily do better. I'd love to see a video or I don't buy it. Reload speeds in this game are waaaay more realistic than in most computer games.

What about this one ?
Youtube Video

or this one :
Youtube Video

or this one :
Youtube Video

or this one :
Youtube Video

or this one :
Youtube Video

The only difference is the place of the magazines/shotgun shells.
Those in the videos have special holsters on their belly and the soldiers have magazine pouches on the front of their chest ( 6 or 8 pouches )
Therefore it could be maximum 1 second slower for a trained soldier πŸ˜‰

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@gsg_9_lightning I'm pretty sure most of the people involved in SS's conflict are poorly-trained soldiers anyway. The current reload speeds make sense for the most part, except for the PKM imo.

@gsg_9_lightning Looking at the AR platform reload, the Mk.18 speed reload from empty in the game is a hair over 3 seconds. Most of the reloads in the first video are in the range of 2 seconds, which puts them within the 1 second handicap for magazine placement and retention that you correctly point out.

AKM speed reload in game is about 3.5 seconds, which is dead on the reload from empty in the video.

The game's FAL speed reload is around 3.5 seconds and the G3A3 reload is a bit under 5 seconds, so both of those are less than a second over the video as well.

I'm not sure why you posted a video of the MP-X and MP5, but damn I wish there was an MP-X in the game!

@maa_bunny said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

I'm not sure why you posted a video of the MP-X and MP5, but damn I wish there was an MP-X in the game!

Because i am hoping so much that we will get those weapons in the next beta or final version or at least from modders community ( if possible ) πŸ˜‰

This is how a reload works in real life.

Youtube Video – [00:20..]

Ok, so I'm going to preface this post by saying I'm not in the military, and I have never been in the military. My experience is as a police officer of almost 14 years. We carry C8 patrol rifles.

Situations are dynamic. This video shows a guy in the absolute best situation, which is a controlled and static environment. In a combat situation, which essentially is "speed reloading", you rip the mag out. You simply don't expect the mag to fall out when you press the release. (Ripping the mag out means you press the release and pull it out, throwing the magazine on the ground.)

The video showing the U.S. soldier is exactly how things should be done. At 37 seconds, watch how he ensures the bolt goes forward. He doesn't gently touch it, he slaps it. That's because in combat, your adrenaline is dumping and you lose your fine motor skills. You're trained to use gross motor skills whenever possible.

The videos that were posted in this thread shows a guy that obviously has some skills and talent - in static environments. You won't get soldiers doing things like that because it's too intricate, and if you make a mistake, that could mean your death. As for insurgents doing speed reloads - good luck. I highly doubt they have the level and quality of training that the U.S. military does.

@dafez About time we get a reply like this on this post... and not someone at a range with his magazine ready trying to reload as fast as possible.

@dafez

you are absolutely right about the controlled and static situation in the videos i linked up here.
The description of the video you linked contains a short report of the soldier who was under fire : "I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety."

This guy really risked his life to buy his squadmates some time, which put himself into a very dangerous situation. As you already wrote he was totally under stress and the adrenaline rush, caused by fear of injury, or death and the pain was blocking his fine motor skills. Also his decisions to move into a certain direction might have been affected by the "panic" of getting heavily wounded or killed.

But you know yourself, that soldiers do have different skills depending on the training they had. Some are bad, some are good and only few are excellent in whatever training drill they are doing.
This is regular army/military. If you have a look into the special forces units ( there are several such units in every army worldwide ) you might admit that the skills are much higher as a result of excessive combat drills and training which includes extreme stress.

So as you see it is not easy to say what really is the standard reload time of a soldier.

Look at this video which shows some marine soldiers who are doing a competition speed reload.
The second they push the magazine release button on their M4 and M16 the magazines drop on the ground and they donΒ΄t mind about it ( whereas the soldier from your video struggles and loses time to put that empty magazine back into the pouch of his vest ).
Youtube Video

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

I'td just be nice to see some more urgency in the methods of their reloading animations. Speed reloads aren't so bad, but still. You could play some smooth jazz to the animations since ins2.

I'd like to see more time to reload difference between normal reloads and tactical reloads. Some - if not most - tactical reloads are barely faster than normal ones. They mostly just look cooler, but don't really save you time.

@gsg_9_lightning said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

The only difference is the place of the magazines/shotgun shells.
Those in the videos have special holsters on their belly and the soldiers have magazine pouches on the front of their chest ( 6 or 8 pouches )
Therefore it could be maximum 1 second slower for a trained soldier πŸ˜‰

A couple issues:

1. Insurgents won't be this well trained.
  2. These are range reloads, in real life it's a lot more frantic.
  3. Not all US soldiers are trained to this level
  4. Reloads being too fast eliminate the only chance for a break in fire, causing gameplay issues

Maybe a "speedball" ruleset could be added for people who want to lone wolf and zip everyone with full auto, but I think the reloads add a tactical and teamplay element that is beneficial to the game.

@grumf said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

I'd like to see more time to reload difference between normal reloads and tactical reloads. Some - if not most - tactical reloads are barely faster than normal ones. They mostly just look cooler, but don't really save you time.

I totally agree. I think the "normal" reloads should be slower. It can take some time to manipulate a spent magazine to stow it where it can be easily grabbed again.

@gsg_9_lightning He did lose some time by keeping the magazine. However, he had time to do that.

As for the speed reload video, I can do that too with my carbine if I want. It's a static drill. Notice, though, how they slam it with their palm heels rather than fingers after inserting the mag.

There are some elite military units that have exceptional training, and are able to keep their wits about them in the most dire of circumstances. Navy Seals are a perfect example of this. Stress inoculation training goes a long way.

link text

Take q look around the 8:20 mark I believe to see him rip out the mag.

No progression that affects gameplay, please. Ever. New players are already at a disadvantage due to lack of experience. Then you want to make their gear worse? That's how you make a slowly dying game where new players never stay long enough to get attached.

Being a vet I can also say that the animations are incredibly slow. Particularly for the SAW as I was a saw gunner and the current speed in game is cringe worthy. I would understand that this was done for balance if the gunner role wasn't already limited but it is.

The one thing I think people need to understand that the reload time can vary wildly depending on the circumstances. You can see a difference between reloading just standing versus walking on flat pavement. It will be minor but it is there. Now imagine uneven walking surfaces, stairs, laying down on a bunch of rocks, trying to look down range and reloading without looking, etc. etc.

I think the issue with these kinds of feedback is it is rare that either side are talking about the same thing. Trained v untrained, ideal v not ideal. What I've suggested before and I'll post it again (link below) is a "focused reload". Basically an option to do nothing but reload. Then the rest of the reload speeds can be slowish and I would even have it vary for the various ways I described but I think that might be a bit too much to ask for this game and for now.

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/31611/suggestion-focus-reload-option

@geck0 That seems unnecessarily complicated. Why not just increase reload speed? Crouching and looking down would be annoying every time I want to reload quickly.

last edited by cyoce

@geck0 said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

The one thing I think people need to understand that the reload time can vary wildly depending on the circumstances. You can see a difference between reloading just standing versus walking on flat pavement. It will be minor but it is there. Now imagine uneven walking surfaces, stairs, laying down on a bunch of rocks, trying to look down range and reloading without looking, etc. etc.
I think the issue with these kinds of feedback is it is rare that either side are talking about the same thing. Trained v untrained, ideal v not ideal.

I think this was missed so I'm quoting myself. There is no argument that individuals with training under ideal circumstances can reload at blazing speeds. But that doesn't address that ISS doesn't always and frankly rarely does provide this exact scenario. The option would A. satisfy the fast reload speeds that these people could perform when directly attempting the exact scenario B. Satisfy the realistic portion of the request for faster reloads without making it a blanket game play shift C. include another interactive measure for the player that can then be mastered with the understanding of the game.

If you're asking for a blanket reload speed increase (from where it is now) without adding circumstances that would reduce that speed I think you may not understand the fundamental game play shift you're asking for. Most people that play this game (based solely on my own personal interactions) like ISS for the things that make it different from COD not like it. The suggestion would allow this speed increase with the least amount of this kind of impact. You may not like having to look down at the reload process but I promise you it makes it faster.

@geck0 said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

The one thing I think people need to understand that the reload time can vary wildly depending on the circumstances.

This is totally true. Some of it is situational: if I'm moving or stationary, standing or crouching, or where on my body I need to retrieve a fresh mag from. Some of it is choice: if I'm totally safe behind solid cover and surrounded by buddies, I'm going to take my time reloading, probobly reload out of a more difficult to reach pouch, and maybe move a few mags around while I'm at it. There isn't really a "fast" and "slow" reload in real life, it's more of a range of possible reload speeds.

You may not like having to look down at the reload process but I promise you it makes it faster.

This may be your SAW experience talking. I've got very little SAW experience, but I can't imagine how you'd reload one without looking at what you're doing. For rifles though, all my of training has strongly emphasized keeping your head up and staying aware of your situation. Reloading a rifle or pistol by feel and muscle memory isn't super hard, and I've heard a lot of stories of people who have been shot because of something they didn't see while they were focused on a reload.

@maa_bunny said in Simple additions for added immersion.:

This may be your SAW experience talking. I've got very little SAW experience, but I can't imagine how you'd reload one without looking at what you're doing. For rifles though, all my of training has strongly emphasized keeping your head up and staying aware of your situation. Reloading a rifle or pistol by feel and muscle memory isn't super hard, and I've heard a lot of stories of people who have been shot because of something they didn't see while they were focused on a reload.

Perfectly possible. I spent way more time as a SAW gunner than anything else. (M4's felt like pistols by comparison regarding weight) There are more steps to reloading a belt fed weapon than a simple Mag well design.