Discussion: environment suggestion: Suburb/City in post USSR/Southern Russia (BLYATSURGENCY)

Greetings!
I know Insurgency is about Middle East mostly and it's way too early to consider adding new environmental settings.

Russia/USSR had plenty of insurgent conflicts of different scales, and has them even today. I'm curious if you could consider moving towards Russian Special Forces (СПЕЦНАЗ/ОМОН) vs. Bandits/Insurgents in environments that feature more Russian/Soviet style architecture. Perhaps as a DLC or maybe a spin-off. You can take southern post-USSR because it's pretty much desert (all asset's you'd need for this are blocky houses and simple "soviet" furniture), and then you could move your way up-north with new assets for vegetation etc.

Pros of RU/Post-USSR setting:

• You will surely get more community support thanks to recognizeable environments and a huge base for memes (middle-eastern "haram" is great but is literally centuries old, I think you could use "cheeki breeki" and "cyka blyat"). A lot of Russians seemed to love Insurgency. I'm Russian too 😛
    You have "4 stripe fake adidas" clothing options in the beta (much appreciated!), it would fit perfectly for the Bandits/Insurgents. Personally I see the "4 stripe fake adidas" not just as an easter egg, but also as a hint that you are aware of the slav/gopnik style/culture.
  • Suggests new approach to game modes (e.g. counter-terrorist siege operation; these were/are quite frequent IRL in garage complexes and suburb areas).
  • You already have nearly entire weapon base ready for this setting. Just need more modern variations of Soviet/Russian weapons for Security forces (AK-100 series and some other).
  • Post-USSR architecture is simple and blocky, so it shouldn't be as difficult to craft as your current maps.

Cons:

• New environment setting means a lot of work for artists and entirely new VA.
  • You are focused on polishing the Middle-East setting right now.

I'm eager to get into Insurgency modding once you make workshop integrations! I'm sure people will try with different environmental settings, including the one I mentioned, because we've seen that happen for Insurgency 2014.

last edited by Cossack-HD

Good ideas !
May be these should be taken in consideration by modders who do custom maps after official game release in December.
I bet there are a lot of talented map builders and modders out there who could bring out such Soviet/USSR maps.

I suppose inspiration could be drawn from the recent conflict areas such as Chechnya and Ukraine and would perfecly fall in line with your suggestion and even past ones like Yugoslavia.

last edited by SaltyBread