I've noticed now a couple of times where the packed logs appear low-resolution / blurry. Restarting the game fixes that. Can't post a screenshot since the forum doesn't allow that anymore. I'm not sure if it's the game or video driver but just for the record I have an Nvidia card.
I can confirm that this is an issue, with the latest December 27th patch and an nVidia card (1080Ti).
There are two ways you can intentionally trigger the lower resolution textures. The third could be unintentionally by just playing the game for a while.
All video settings on high, native resolution and a truck with visible writing on its side (Freighliner, Chevy Bison or Western Star 6900xd) since this is the easiest way to check the texture quality.
Replication method 1:
- start Mudrunner and have it load a map directly (do this by quitting from a map rather than the Main Menu);
- check the writing on the side of your truck -> the writing is clearly distinguishable;
- go back to Main Menu (exit your map) and then go to Single Player and click to continue (reload) your current map;
- check the writing on the side of your truck again -> the writing is blurred/(all) textures are now of lower quality.
Replication method 2;
- start Mudrunner and have it load a map directly -> the writing on the side of your truck is clearly distinguishable;
- go to Settings and set the resolution to a lower one;
- go back to your game and check the writing on the side of your truck -> again the writing is blurred/(all) textures are now of lower quality;
- go to Settings again and set your resolution back to native level -> the blurred writing and thus the lower resolution textures remain.
- seems to be harder to trigger on the Proving Grounds however if the issue has already been triggered on another map then it appears here as well;
- for a brand new map changing the resolution doesn't trigger the issue however if you do nothing on the new map then quit to the main menu and then reload it changing the resolution again does trigger the issue;
- indeed there seems to be no way to fix it rather than outright restarting the game.
All in all we'd appreciate an update from a moderator or dev that they' acknowledged this issue and that they'd (try to) work on it. I think it's significant enough to warrant fixing for Mudrunner. New players may not know about it and just think that Mudrunner has bad textures and that's just it.
Ultimately it seems the issue also triggers by just playing a map for some amount of time. During my testing this is what I've found.
5k resolution (nVidia DSR) - load a game and play around with a truck for around 4 minutes -> issue visible on truck;
1440p (my native) - load a game and play with a truck for around 7 minutes -> issue not visible on truck but change to another truck and issue visible there/ change back to your truck and the textures are still fine. At this point either play around some more with your initial truck or change between them several more times and the issue will appear.
1080p - load a game and play with a truck for around 10 minutes -> issue not visible on truck but change to another truck and issue visible there/ change back to your truck and the textures are still fine. At this point either play around some more with your initial truck or change between them several more times and the issue will appear.
So while playing the game the texture quality/resolution downgrade is delayed depending on resolution. The truck you started playing with seems to be the last affected by the issue but eventually it will be affected anyway.
Considering the difference in quality between the original and the downgraded textures at this point I consider this a pretty big issue. If you guys wish to have any hope of having good sales for Mudrunner 2 you'd better fix this for Mudrunner 1.
The community may tolerate a few of the smaller bugs but this is a big one.
Anyway I do hope our local Community Manager or Pavel sees this. Let's please fix this game first before moving on to Mudrunner 2.