Gameplay Content and the Future

this is just my opinion and feel free to give yours as well. i do ask to keep things civil though please. i feel most will, but i know there are some out there that get "passionate" shall we say about their opinions.

since the release of the original game there has been many people wanting this and that added to the game (storyline, monetary progression, etc..), all of which would make for a bigger and better game. only the thing is, while they could most likely adapt and overhaul the game the way it is now for these wanted features and gameplay. i feel with the amount of that wanted gameplay/content would be better to do in the next version of the game (if there is one) with the game designed for all this stuff in mind. the original game is limited really in the gameplay content (logging and exploring) even with modded maps and vehicles. since the original was never really built and made for these kinds of wanted gameplay content, would you agree it would be better to wait for a new game engine and more importantly having the game built from the beginning with these things in mind?

just a thought and curious what others in the community think. so keep pushing a limited design, or just do what we can for now and hold out for a bigger better version designed from the beginning with this stuff in mind?

They should start work on an immediate 64 bit rewrite and sell and get behind that, and just make this open source to tide people over.

Let them do anything to improve the game. Just do not try to make me pay third time for update that contains content cut earlier from previous game (certifed trucks and highest graphics settings that have been cut from spintires 2014) . I bought two spintires games and if they want my money again they have to offer me something really, REALLY vast, something like AAA games.

@8up-local
While I will agree with some of your points here, "waiting for the next one" is definitely NOT among them...
I loved Oldtires, and I'm enjoying MR as well, sadly as time passes I'm steadily being pushed onto the "It's nothing more than Spintires version 1.5" side of the fence...
The devs still don't seem to care what the community is asking for, like @articzap said (64-bit support) and I'm afraid that approach is burning bridges for the game(s) overall.
I will agree that it's simply ludicrous for these ones to be asking for completely unreasonable features to be added that the engine was never designed to accommodate; research the game and if you decide you want more than what MR offers then go buy a different game that does offer what you're looking for (and yes, I realize that bit is contradictory to my initial statements).
Quite bluntly, a certain development lead needs to have his head removed from his rear-end and let the game become what it should be instead of what he wants it to be. After all, we do sign his paycheck in a manner of speaking...

Mexican is right. This game would be the replacement to 4x4 Evolution and could do it so well. The amount of money it would make outside of the logging theme and as a trail running game or rock crawling game could be huge.

Unfortunately some people get stuck on their vision and don't care about the amount of money that could be made if they were to steer the game towards a different audience.

But to truly be successful as a trail or rock crawling game, it needs work to physics engines, and how the drivetrain of every vehicle works. (Engine and transmission)

@Mexican_420 @8up-local

I like the thoughts going on here. Honestly, I think that people get into an uproar way too quickly about silly dumb stuff. People say that the devs aren't communicating well.... Some body needs to go back to the days of ST. When nothing came out about anything pretty much ever. People need to realize that things are actually being worked on in the background, and the devs are communicating fairly decent.

and YES. They are avoiding spending time answering people's stupid questions about stupid features that don't belong in MudRunner. I think that it's done rightfully. I've been on this forum since day one of the announcement , and I've pretty much seen it all-- there have been some irrationally insane requests over the past few months.

This community is still so raw from where the first game dropped off and this one came about.

And then there is the second group of people that came from Farming sim expecting a giants software Level of production. Mud runner Will always be a little Niche game for guys that like something a little different.

I think It would be a great idea for Focus and Sabor to put out a roadmap type of deal where they show us where the game is going.

Also I think that there should be more communication between the devs and modders so we know what IS possible in this game. As it is now, anything new is pretty much trial and error to figure anything out.

All in all about the direction of the game-- I like it the way it is now. I feel if any direction gets pushed, then one side of us (either trailing guys Or Loggers) would struggle to make things happen.

i would not say these things are dumb or silly, but more a bit of a long stretch for the way the game is designed really imo. after all this began as a school project about deformable terrain and that needed something to show it off. hence the trucks and has morphed into what it is today to make a sellable product.

@Pavel care to comment and correct me if i am wrong on this?

last edited by A Former User

Sorry for my sincerity, but PC gamers complain too much, you have everything to create things in the game, maps and vehicles, etc., and still complain, in consoles players we are happy with only 3 vehicles and 1 map, because we know that will not have mod in the game for consoles.

Yes, it could have be nice if stock maps can have some storyline background.
Yes, this game is still more like "advanced tech demo" rather than a proper game, that are players today have got used to see.

And what?

Amount of work needed to set up some kind of "campaign" for singleplayer is not tiny and if there is limited manpower, I rather see that manpower do other stuff. Ratio between that work and added value is ineffective (IMHO).
Have you played a game named Portal? Portal 2? There is very few principles on which is gameplay build on and what a game! I've enjoyed it a lot!
Based on that, I think there is no need to bring completely new stuff into MR, just better use of what we already have.

1. We can carry 4 types of cargo right now. Logs, fuel, maintanace and garage. They are loadable at different areas already. By setting objectives to accept another type of cargo than logs (or some combinations), we can get three new tasks to do. And they have to be delivered from different places, think about possible combinations for map making.
  2. We already have blockposts. Those are blocking way for log-loaded trucks. What about making them to blocking way for trucks heavier than something? Weight is something that game already work with, that value is already at system. This can make gameplay richer again: you can go with smaller cargo thru here or you can take a bigger truck but in that case you have to take a detour.
  3. Combination of two points above: blockpost can be unlocked by delivering of some kind of cargo.
    a) permanently (opening/building a road/bridges/etc)
    b) temporarily ("bribing blockpost manager" to allow heavier truck pass thru or whatever)

I think, these things can make gameplay a much richfull and (as a coding-illiterate) could be added simply.
Another thing is, to make good use for them, new maps need to be made, especially for "consoleros"... (what is proper term for console players?)

Also I think it will help, if community will have some idea where is game going to. Some kind of DEV's idea, their goal. Long term achievement.
But it has been promised there will be monthly announcements, so I think (hope) that this will be solved soon...

last edited by Sodoma

@sodoma said in Gameplay Content and the Future:

Yes, it could have be nice if stock maps can have some storyline background.
Yes, this game is still more like "advanced tech demo" rather than a proper game, that are players today have got used to see.

And what?

Amount of work needed to set up some kind of "campaign" for singleplayer is not tiny and if there is limited manpower, I rather see that manpower do other stuff. Ratio between that work and added value is ineffective (IMHO).
Have you played a game named Portal? Portal 2? There is very few principles on which is gameplay build on and what a game! I've enjoyed it a lot!
Based on that, I think there is no need to bring completely new stuff into MR, just better use of what we already have.

1. We can carry 4 types of cargo right now. Logs, fuel, maintanace and garage. They are loadable at different areas already. By setting objectives to accept another type of cargo than logs (or some combinations), we can get three new tasks to do. And they have to be delivered from different places, think about possible combinations for map making.
  2. We already have blockposts. Those are blocking way for log-loaded trucks. What about making them to blocking way for trucks heavier than something? Weight is something that game already work with, that value is already at system. This can make gameplay richer again: you can go with smaller cargo thru here or you can take a bigger truck but in that case you have to take a detour.
  3. Combination of two points above: blockpost can be unlocked by delivering of some kind of cargo.
    a) permanently (opening/building a road/bridges/etc)
    b) temporarily ("bribing blockpost manager" to allow heavier truck pass thru or whatever)

I think, these things can make gameplay a much richfull and (as a coding-illiterate) could be added simply.
Another thing is, to make good use for them, new maps need to be made, especially for "consoleros"... (what is proper term for console players?)

Also I think it will help, if community will have some idea where is game going to. Some kind of DEV's idea, their goal. Long term achievement.
But it has been promised there will be monthly announcements, so I think (hope) that this will be solved soon...

I agree with everything you said👍

@sodoma yeah you got the idea. ST and MR are kind of the way they are, but there are a lot of people wanting it to be more. only just how much more and just how or what exactly? i personally like the game the way it is, but at the same time it could use a little something, but what exactly i do not know. also i do understand why some people want this or that, although at the same time they need to realize just what they are actually asking with some of this stuff. i would figure with the way the game was originally designed there would need to be some major restructuring and/or overhaul to it.

@8up-local
I say more bricks.
Massive part of potential of this game is in variability that can anybody use on his own.
Imagine this like a box of Lego.
Now we have few pieces and some simple things might be build of them. Few trucks and some small shed.
Thing that every boy will need in moment as that (AFAIK), is MORE BRICKS. So he can build more things (all I wanted was more gears and shafts ans that kind of things 😃 )
In PC terminology that means bigger box of objects, more option of that kind I posted above, textures for all four seasons and such things.

Bigger playground...

No hi-tec features are needed, keep it simple and opened, look at Minecraft...

@Sodoma
Brilliant! Those would be very effective ways to expand gameplay possibilities while effectively using existing assets! I know this can be done because I've seen clips on YT showing replacement of logs with rocks as a load simply by changing some XML code...
Some modmaster will do it before the devs do though... ;P

@Sodoma what about adding some animals in the game like tigers,aligators,bears,snakes,bigfoots etc...when we honk they run away 😁

@Sangwa
Funny enough one of my maps DOES have Bigfoot/Sasquatch hidden in it... XD
It's just a static model, but good for a laff nonetheless!

@Mexican_420 ok than give me ur map link 😁

@Sangwa
There is no link... I apologize if that post was patronizing, but it may never be a public map...

@8up-local said in Gameplay Content and the Future:

i would not say these things are dumb or silly, but more a bit of a long stretch for the way the game is designed really imo. after all this began as a school project about deformable terrain and that needed something to show it off. hence the trucks and has morphed into what it is today to make a sellable product.

@Pavel care to comment and correct me if i am wrong on this?

Hello sir!
Yes, you get it 100% correctly!

Really most of the game design comes from the "Left 4 Dead" - quick game sessions with very simple objectives, stressless. From that point of view, I'm personally quite happy with the current state of the game - and I play it a lot myself, hehe. It doesn't mean there is no room for improvement of course! So stay positive, stay tuned, there are great plans for Spintires/Mudrunner!

@pavel i would agree in that i like the game as it is, minus a few things i personally would like to see taken care of and fixed. i have always had patience and do not mind waiting to see what is ahead for the game. others though that are not as patient seems to feel otherwise i am afraid.