Balance drum mags by lowering their number.

Normal mags: max 7 mags of 30 rounds.
Extended mags: max 5 mags of 40 rounds each.
Drum mags: max 3 mags of 60(?) rounds.
*actual/better numbers should apply.

With this set-up drum mags become a real question of "how often do I want to reload?" instead of "Do I want more ammo? Yes I do." Kind of like removing AP rounds this would make drum mags a non-obvious choice.

last edited by Pakislav

If you're gonna be limited to 3 drum mags, you might just as well pick the gunner class... 3 boxes of 100/200 rounds.

They already make the weapon less stable when firing, and they cost 3 supply points. That's huge. I don't think it's that unbalanced atm. I rarely see anyone using them, so that's obviously not the meta of the game. If that was, most people would use them.

last edited by Grumf

Well, at least in coop, most 'good' people use them. Why wouldn't they? And why would I use gunner if I can have a recoil-less AR with more ammo?

I love using them. However, I believe their cost is already baked into the hefty supply point cost.

I have to give up carrying explosives to equip them. No need for further restrictions IMHO.

last edited by JLX

TBH the reloads on drum mags need to get even slower. Since they're so massive they can't fit in a tactical vest mag slot...so are they going into their backpack for every new drum mag? Where do they hide them?

I guess what I'm saying is... "Quick reload" should not be an option for drum mags. Ever.

last edited by AMURKA

@amurka said in Balance drum mags by lowering their number.:

...so are they going into their backpack for every new drum mag? Where do they hide them?

Typically, a SAW pouch or something similar. Unless you're a big dude, fitting more than two of these pouches onto a rig is pretty tough, but depending on the drum you might be able to fit two drums in a pouch.

@amurka You can't do a quick reload with them. Each time I tried, it's exactly the same animation than when I press "r" just once. The only difference is that when I double tap, the mag drops ont he ground, like it's supposed to be.

Yup I don’t think any change is needed in this regard. I also don’t like that changes might be made to a weapon etc.. or really the game in general based on its performance/needing of change or lack there of because of co-op. As a Versus only player I would hate to loose a feature in pvp because it’s OP’d etc.. in co-op. I’m obviously not saying that they shouldn’t make changes and or cater to the co-op community as I know it is pretty big and a lot of people are co-op only and that’s fine but I don’t play any co-op nor do I care about co-op no offence lol just my preference. Maybe it’s time to start looking at making changes to co-op and Versus separately. Not sure exactly how they tackle this currently but I’m thinking the changes are made to everything alike and I hope they pay special attention to make sure it works on both ends. Just sayin!

@amurka said in Balance drum mags by lowering their number.:

TBH the reloads on drum mags need to get even slower. Since they're so massive they can't fit in a tactical vest mag slot...so are they going into their backpack for every new drum mag? Where do they hide them?

I guess what I'm saying is... "Quick reload" should not be an option for drum mags. Ever.

It actually already isn't. I'm pretty sure speed reloads on drum mags are the exact same reloads as regular reloads.

@pakislav said in Balance drum mags by lowering their number.:

Well, at least in coop, most 'good' people use them. Why wouldn't they?

I've stopped using them because you can speed-reload a standard STANAG mag in like two seconds. Drum mags give you more ammo per mag but for the slow reload time and 3 supply it's not worth it for me.