AK-74 is bad compared to the AKM

There is currently no reason to use the AK-74 over the AKM.

AKM hits harder, is cheaper, more controllable (lower firerate) and kills more consistently, AK-74 is a spray and pray and hope that your enemy doesn't have more DPS than you.

I was using the AK-74 for the first few days of the Nov 8 patch then switched to the AKM - very noticeable difference afterwards.

Solution:

• Increase the damage of both weapons so they can kill in 1 shot to the head, chest & stomach (like Insurgency2014)

When both guns are as lethal as each other, damage doesn't even become a factor in weapon balance, and this increases the other characteristics of the weapons itself to make them more distinct from each other (weight, rate of fire, recoil).

Ak74 has many more added benefits and is far more deadly in my eyes in the hands of someone with more control over there firearm. Ak74 has little to no recoil and this is made even more apparent when the grip and compensator are attached in that there is zero movement when firing full auto. That type of firearm control aimed at someone's head is spot on suppression and lethality. I would increase arms recoil to compensate and level the playing field not up or lower dps. 74’s lethality is its control, not dps. Just my thoughts however misguided.

last edited by Max80

I usually get 2 hit kills with both. Because AK74 weights less, has less recoil, and higher fire rate I think it's superior. AKM is only slightly better when you shoot through walls.

The AK-74 is a 5.45mm rifle compared to 7.62mm, it should have significantly lighter recoil.

In the real world the AK-74 comes standard with a compensator, which I think should be reflected in game.

@maa_bunny said in AK-74 is bad compared to the AKM:

The AK-74 is a 5.45mm rifle compared to 7.62mm, it should have significantly lighter recoil.

In the real world the AK-74 comes standard with a compensator, which I think should be reflected in game.

The AKM comes standard with a compensator too, the slant brake. It's just slightly worse than the AK74 style muzzle brake.

@action83 Good point, I forgot about the good old slant break. It's just so tiny and easy to miss.

Ugh. Yet another "Lets make my favorite guns kill with one shot to pretty much anything but limbs" post.... gross.

@amurka Hey..... hey listen: Fuck off to battlefield.

Core features of Insurgency2014

• lethality (1 shot 1 kill)

• minimal HUD and Information

• waved respawn

Core features of Sandstorm

• waved respawn

Sandstorm offers nothing significant among other fps games being released at this time.

One is 7.62mm the other is 5.45mm, why should they do exactly the same damage? If they did, why would anyone take the higher recoil AKM?

Ins2 wasn't one-shot-one kill, nor is reality, why Sandstorm should or shouldn't be is the subject of multiple long discussions already, we don't need another one.

@maa_bunny

One is 7.62mm the other is 5.45mm, why should they do exactly the same damage?

Because when picking a weapon to play with the biggest factor is weapon damage. Minimal point in using a weaker weapon. They don't need to have the exact same damage, just enough damage for them to both pass the threshold for a 1 shot 1 kill.

Ins2 wasn't one-shot-one kill

It was.

Seems like there is variance in personal preference. So it can't really be said that what OP claims is absolute, thus doesn't necessarily need balancing at this moment.

Also the proposed solution is most definately not the best one in my opinion. IF rebalancing was really needed, im sure it could be done in other ways.

@slazenger said in AK-74 is bad compared to the AKM:

Because when picking a weapon to play with the biggest factor is weapon damage. Minimal point in using a weaker weapon. They don't need to have the exact same damage, just enough damage for them to both pass the threshold for a 1 shot 1 kill.

Maybe for you. I tend to pick the weapon I can best maneuver with and control. I always shoot people more than once anyway. Habit.

And if both do enough damage to kill in one shot, what's the point of having different weapon damage? One makes you dead, the other makes you more dead? Sure, that's balanced.

Ins2 wasn't one-shot-one kill

It was.

OK, sure, LOL. That wasn't my experience. Especially without AP ammo.

@maa_bunny said in AK-74 is bad compared to the AKM:

And if both do enough damage to kill in one shot, what's the point of having different weapon damage? One makes you dead, the other makes you more dead? Sure, that's balanced.

This is where wall penetration comes into effect. With the higher damaging one, it will have increased ability to kill through walls.

Example in Insurgency2014

• m16 5.56 takes 10 shots to kill an enemy with heavy armor through a wall

• L1A1 7.62 takes 4~ shots to kill an enemy with heavy armor through a wall

OK, sure, LOL. That wasn't my experience. Especially without AP ammo.

Regular ammo vs no armor = 1 shot 1 kill to the head, chest and stomach.
AP ammo vs armor = 1 shot 1 kill to the head chest and stomach.
HP ammo vs limbs = 1 shot 1 kill to the head, legs and arms.

Tbh, the only thing that needs to be fixed is that having no armor at all, you should die in one shot to the chest and legs, we do not need to bring back AP rounds.