Devblog #4 - Skirmish & Multiplayer
Community Manager

Greetings Admirals, and welcome back to the devblogs for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2. Today’s topic is multiplayer and skirmish modes, giving you a look into the non-campaign offerings you’ll have access to not only come release, but as part of the first pre-order beta starting early December.

This includes ranked play, 2v2, as well as standard versus AI, across a massive variety of possible matchups, battlefields, and environments.

0_1542879573841_BattlefleetGothicArmada2_logo_05.jpg

The base skirmish and multiplayer game is a randomly generated map with five capture points and a number of possible environmental effects. These range from those familiar to players of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, such as gas clouds and asteroid fields, as well as weirder phenomenon new to the sequel - a fleet of space titans migrating through the area that cause heavy damage to any ship they come into contact with, or pulsing solar radiation that render shields useless.

All of these settings can be customised before a skirmish game, letting you pick the point totals of fleets, which environmental effects will appear, whether to use the capture point Domination ruleset or the simpler Deathmatch mode, and so on.

0_1542879564521_Skirmish Map Settings.JPG

In Ranked play, fleets are set to the new maximum of 1200 points, increased from the original game for larger, more action-packed battles, and environmental effects are turned off. Capture points are on, with randomised locations to make every battle different, and internal logic to ensure battles will never be unfair, but will require dynamic tactics. The same is true for 2v2 ranked, only each player fields a fleet of 600 points of their chosen faction.

For those that want to get right into the action we have pre-defined fleets across a broad spectrum of playstyles, while more advanced players can customise their own faction fleet with any combination of ships they like.

On top of all this, a number of quality of life changes have been implemented to make multiplayer and skirmish games better than ever. Balance has been improved across the board, a process that will continue through our two pre-order beta phases. We’ve also made changes to menus and ergonomics to make it faster and easier than ever to get into a battle, and multiplayer progression is rewarding in terms of cosmetics and new options for skills and fleet upgrades.

Care was taken to ensure this never feels like a power reward for playing more, but simply new options and ways to play. This progression system is only available in ranked mode, as a way to further reward those who jump into multiplayer and experiment with different fleets and strategies.

In ranked play, every battle impacts your position on the global leaderboard, filterable by faction. Hone your skills to be the best admiral in your faction!

0_1542879582270_BattlefleetGothicArmada2_logo_10.jpg

We believe we have a complete and exciting offering for multiplayer in Armada 2, which will delight new players and series veterans alike. We can’t wait to get it into your hands officially early next year, as well as take your feedback and make changes in the upcoming pre-order betas.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 releases on Steam in January 2019. You can already pre-order for Beta Access before the release of the game, and a 10% discount! http://bit.ly/BFG2Steam

Returning Battlefleet Gothic: Armada players on Steam instead benefit from a 25% loyalty discount on their preorder of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2.

last edited by Netheos

Co-op campaign? :o

Loving the rest of the news! my only "Gripe" would be the low 2v2 fleet score - 600pts a side is FAR too close to BFG1's 2v2 - Ideally (game engine/balance allowing) should be nearer 1000pts a side.

K. Cool news. Still would like footage though.

will there be a point decay over time for ranked, if an admiral/account is no longer active?

Are we still getting Skirmish Progression in singleplayer? Because I adored that system in the first game.

When in December? I'd love to know so I can schedule some playtime 😃

Hello 🙂

For the 2v2 Skirmish battles, can 2 players be on a team fighting against 2 AI opponents?

Community Manager

@canned_f3tus said in Devblog #4 - Skirmish & Multiplayer:

K. Cool news. Still would like footage though.

@lkhero said in Devblog #4 - Skirmish & Multiplayer:

When in December? I'd love to know so I can schedule some playtime 😃

We plan to release a gameplay trailer and the announcement of the exact dates of the first pre-order Beta in the coming days 🙂

Edit: and it's live! The first pre-order Beta will take place December 5 to 12 and gameplay trailer is here. Cheers!

@romeo said in Devblog #4 - Skirmish & Multiplayer:

Are we still getting Skirmish Progression in singleplayer? Because I adored that system in the first game.

The progression system is only available in ranked multiplayer.

@fosil said in Devblog #4 - Skirmish & Multiplayer:

will there be a point decay over time for ranked, if an admiral/account is no longer active?

As far as I know, there isn't any decay for now.

last edited by Netheos

@Netheos

Not going to lie, that's a little disappointing. Unlocking new ship classes and upgrading those new ships as you spent time with the fleet was by far my favourite part of the first game. Are we at least getting something interesting to replace that? Or is it just "everything is available from the very start"?

@romeo said in Devblog #4 - Skirmish & Multiplayer:

@Netheos

Not going to lie, that's a little disappointing. Unlocking new ship classes and upgrading those new ships as you spent time with the fleet was by far my favourite part of the first game. Are we at least getting something interesting to replace that? Or is it just "everything is available from the very start"?

I think Custom Game has fulfilled the need for Skirmish. You can basically go into a game with everything unlocked so you can test your fleet against the AI to your heart's content.

@lkhero
Not really the same thing for me. I actively enjoyed the feeling of progression from the original system. Having everything unlocked from the start takes some of the magic away from the first time you could use a battleship-class ship in one of your fleets.

Not necessarily a complete deal breaker for me (I'll see if I like the game from the previews and by trying the beta for less than two hours), but I'm becoming less and less excited by the game the more I hear. Seems like it's doing everything it can to appease the multiplayer base, which I could not care less about. In doing so, I'm losing out on more and more things I liked from singleplayer...

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.