Stop the blasphemy!

I thing nobody cares about cursing, cause it makes the game looks real, but "fucking Jesus" is something that shouldn't be in this game!

But I really want it to stay...

A "PG" mode after release is ok tho. Anyone remembers flower-blood in Serious Sam? Maybe add that. 😃

@shadoware

"Fucking Jesus!" has been yelled across every modern battlefield by English speakers under fire, I promise you. Organised religion doesn't exist beyond old folks in almost every first world country anymore - it's 2018. Please don't try to enforce your dated sensibilities upon art.

Also while on the topic of utter nonsense, can we unseat Islam from its privileged position and get that telephone noise replaced with a nice, proper Allahu Akbar? We all know it's only there to let the modders do it on release. Any publicity from it being done officially is free advertising.

Thanks. 🙂

@whitby said in Stop the blasphemy!:

proper Allahu Akbar

Indeed! Also Insurgents should speak Arabic and pray from time to time imho...

Organised religion doesn't exist beyond old folks in almost every first world country anymore

Even though I'd highly disagree with this statement, integrating curses with Jesus is quite common in everyday speech, even off the battlefield. It's quite immersive and it has to stay.

Shadoware is just joking around=D He knows Nietzsche was spot on.

@thehappybub

Places with active religious participation from a significant portion of society:

• United States of America.
  • Countries somewhere between the bronze age and the stone age.
  • ???

1 - What an individual says is only an individual responsibility, what a company says is a company responsibility.

2 - I think when somebody offend persons they are not so offended as when their beliefs is offended.

3 - There are more than 2.19 billion christians in the world. I said "more" because this research is old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_population_growth

last edited by Shadoware

No one cares, really... It's accurate anyway, and makes immersion stronger.
Blasphemy only triggers believers. Most people who play this game aren't. If this bothers you that much, just make a mod to replace it by something else. Sound mods are probably one of the easiest kind to create, so... Go ahead.

2.19 billion christians in the world.

So, there are +- 5 billion non-christian people who just won't care about catholic blasphemy in one particular video-game.

last edited by Grumf

@thehappybub

Places with active religious participation from a significant portion of society:

• United States of America.
  • Countries somewhere between the bronze age and the stone age.
  • ???

I thinks actually Jesus Christ teachings are the most humanitarian advanced concepts the world has ever known! They are the foundations of any human evolved society.
The old world believed that persons were not equal, that persons were born to be slaved. The UN universal human rights were no possible in a world that that Christ teaching were not known.
Though the world is not perfect, the Christ teachings changed the world.

@shadoware Historical Jesus (not the magician version of the Bible) and his followers were indeed progressists at their time. I'm okay with that. Now, the catholic Church is just a rotten piece of history that has no progressists values anymore. Just leave it where it belongs, and stop trying to force your personnal beliefs into the game, for the sake of frickin' god.

I know some Arabic. The Insurgents and the local militia from Security both read Muslim prayers from time to time, and they both say phrases in Arabic. Though the insurgents shouldn't speak only Arabic IMO. As far as I'm concerned it's fine as it is. They've taken a good approach that doesn't offend anyone reasonable. I'd very much like it if they didn't mess with peoples sensibilities any more than with what they can comfortably get away with. And this is the sweet spot.

@grumf said in Stop the blasphemy!:

Most people who play this game aren't

Is that based on factual evidence? May I see a research conducted by yourself or any other third party? Any empirical data to back up your claim will be fine. Or is that an assumption you just made. How can you POSSIBLY say that most people who play this aren't believers? I mean, on what grounds have you made this assumption? I'm curious to know.

@shadoware said in Stop the blasphemy!:

There are more than 2.19 billion christians in the world. I said "more" because this research is old:

Fun fact: In my country to not be counted as "christian" you have to sue both the church and the state.

I thinks actually Jesus Christ teachings are the most humanitarian advanced concepts the world has ever known! They > are the foundations of any human evolved society.
The old world believed that persons were not equal, that persons were born to be slaved. The UN universal human rights were no possible in a world that that Christ teaching were not known.

Can't agree with any of that. The universal morals that Christ taught is something that every child develops on their own and what every religion in history taught before and after Christianity. Modern society is based on science and democracy - both concepts of the ancient Greeks and then Romans. The only reason that Christianity makes any of these "Christianity saved the world!" claims is because the Romans adopted Christianity and the Catholic church claimed to be the continuity of its institutions after its fall... despite being a likely culprit leading to the fall of Rome.

You claim that Christianity is the reason there's no slavery... and yet the last place that slavery was practiced was the most Christian part of United States. And the only people who still express fondness of slavery are Christians.

And having hypocritically said all of that, I don't think there's much need for discussing religion in this particular forum. A "PG" mode like said, is alright as a post-launch feature it's just a matter of the devs having the resources to spare.

I agree there is a line somewhere, and it's different from person to person. Personally I like video games to not make glorification of either sides in conflicts that closely resembles real world events, but I believe it will make no big difference if there is some cursing or not - Blasphemy is a word suggesting insulting a deity, but the cursing in this game is just using common swear words I have used myself without having any religious beliefs and are obviously just meant as that - Everyday cursing, not an attempt at insulting religions. Most people like me use it just to express a negative emotion - If someone is offended, they have a right to do so, but being offended carries no gravity in itself as a valid argument, as there is no logic to it - Grow some thicker skin and do charity if you wanna be righteous - whatever your beliefs may be=)

I'm kind of perplexed as to why we're attacking/defending Christianity here. The point is that religion, whatever that religion may be, is an integral part of the lives of the vast majority of people in the world. As far as the game is concerned, this means that religion is simply a reality, and if the game is trying to be realistic and true to the setting, that means that it MUST incorporate religion into itself to reflect the scenario it is portraying.

This leads to really two truths about this game: (1) it must incorporate religious themes and voice and cannot stray from it for the sole purpose of trying to be PC (2) religion must be portrayed realistically, and in real life, whatever religion a person is, there will be people who use their God, deities, prophets, or saints along with a derogatory slur. This is simply human nature, as religion, being an inherently divine concept, offers people a force to blame that is beyond their control. Cursing out fate is always easier than just cursing out yourself.

Arguments saying that whatever phrase is offensive because religion is stupid due to the above points.

Arguments saying that religion is stupid are also stupid because regardless of whether you think religion is stupid or not, it is still holds the greatest power over humanity of arguably anything in today's world.

@rover the thing is that I feel insurgents should speak MOSTLY Arabic, given that that makes sense and would also help distinguish sides. Unless NWI is going for how hard it is to distinguish sides.... then I guess its cool the way it is.

last edited by thehappybub

So what OP says here is:

• shooting people is okay
  • seeing people lose their limbs is okay
  • people blowing themselves up is okay
  • but jesus' name is sacred and shall not bad said in vain

I mean really OP, find another game 😉

It's just retarded to think that "fucking jesus" is an insult against someones religion, when you think about the CONTEXT the specific phrase is used in the game.

You can take any phrase out of context and turn it into an "insult" and get offended by it.

Mods, please kill this thread.

@sgt-kanyo Kinda very different. You're not really killing nobody.

Things written or spoken in any media can be a real message.

...and the religous leader talks to the governance: you'll keep the people poor, I'll keep them stupid...

Hey all,

I'm going to lock the thread, not really the place for this sort of discussion.