Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released

Fawlty make sure your numerical ID is correctly listed. You can find it on your profile page in the green address
0_1546565824746_2019-01-03_1732.png

The Server Assistant seems to build the folders that are needed for you. The folders aren't there by default.

Pointy, silly question here... I don't know what the correct term is, but is there a list of little known "variables" that one can modify their server config file with to screw with the game? For example, "gravity" or "add vehicle" or "make the bots only use grenades". LOL.

@sawcoach
Thanks Saw, finally got to admin access. I deleted what was there and re-entered it using the name "Admins" and everything worked. Don't know if the name was case sensitive or what but it's working.

Thanks for the info Billion

Cheers

last edited by Fawlty

@sawcoach said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

@owinz said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Outside friends can connect to the server fine, however any PC inside the local network are unable to. We get the password prompt, but then then the client just sits at a black screen.

I think I remember reading some others having this problem & solving it by starting the server first & then starting STEAM on the client after the server is running

I thought you might have been on to something so I tried it right away … New boot on the client PC w/o Steam running. Started the server. Then started the Steam app on the client and tried to connect and … unfortunately, no joy.

We still get the same "NotifyAcceptingConnection" message in the log over and over until the client times out after two minutes.

Any other suggestions? As I mentioned before everyone outside the coming in can connect just fine.

(see my original post)

Thanks again for any advice. @pointy … any suggestions?

Sorry for the lack of updates, I was enjoying a nice break over XMas.

As I explained from the beginning, I wrote this app for my own use and for me, it pretty much does what I need. I added a bunch of features that I would personally never use to help people setting up and maintaining their servers, not because I am some sort of super hero, but because I want this game to succeed and community servers will be a big part of it's success.

Now the problem is two fold.

1. My time is limited and I have other projects on the go.

2. I am not really playing Sandstorm at the moment, which makes it difficult to test the application properly. While the devs have done an amazing job at making the game look and run smoother than the initial alpha release, for me it's lacking a key ingredient. Fun! Now I am only talking Coop, because that's all I play and I am not just speaking for myself, I am speaking for a group of players who loved the original Insurgency. Personally I have 600 hours in the original and I have already racked up a 100 hours in Sandstorm, so I think this isn't a rash judgement, as I have given it some time to mature. Now don't get my wrong, the original was not perfect and in fact, we didn't find it fun at all when we first started playing. What made it fun for us was the workshop mods and my own source mods, to change the game to how we liked it. (A little more arcadey, but still challenging, after all some of us are over 50 and don't have the reaction times of you young pups!) So why is the game not fun, the biggest issue is, you seem to spend more time running to the battle/objective than you do fighting. The spawning system is horrible, spawning you too far away from the action, forcing you to sprint 200 meters only to get headshot, 10 feet from the objective! 😠 I was also hoping for some more realistic AI, with UE4's perception system giving AI sight and hearing, I was looking forward to AI that doesn't cheat and know where you are all the time, yet I still find myself insta killed by pinpoint accurate molotovs/grenades when hiding behind /inside buildings and I am pretty sure I haven't been seen.

Anyway the project is NOT dead, but will move at a slower pace from now. One of the new projects I am working on, shares some of the base code, so I will update Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant as the shared code matures.

I would be very grateful if someone could host the current version somewhere, as I am about to change my web host and my website will be down for a while.

Regards,

Les

Could always upload it to GitHub, and add a Release in there. I kept most of my tools for Insurgency 2014 there.

@jballou said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Could always upload it to GitHub, and add a Release in there. I kept most of my tools for Insurgency 2014 there.

I was going to suggest the same. If it's a .NET app, I'd be happy to contribute.

@pointy Does this help with the lost connection to server problem?

Although I have a GitHub account, I don't think i have ever used it. (I should also thank you for sharing your code, some of my personal server side mods were based on your code)

@zayzek said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

@pointy Does this help with the lost connection to server problem?

No, it's only for setting up and maintaining a dedicated server.

I have migrated my website to the new host, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully everything is working again. Let me know if there are any problems.

Take your time answering, but Pointy am I doing something wrong? I have unchecked Friendly Fire in the Server Assistant, but when playing Summit with friends last night we could kill each other. Is there something more I must enable or disable to truly turn off Friendly Fire, inside or outside of the Server Assistant?

@billion3 said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Take your time answering, but Pointy am I doing something wrong? I have unchecked Friendly Fire in the Server Assistant, but when playing Summit with friends last night we could kill each other. Is there something more I must enable or disable to truly turn off Friendly Fire, inside or outside of the Server Assistant?

It doesn't work for Coop, just put the Friendly Fire Modifier on 0 instead.

@pointy said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Although I have a GitHub account, I don't think i have ever used it. (I should also thank you for sharing your code, some of my personal server side mods were based on your code)

So, put yours up on GitHub and share back 😃

I can help you pack it up and get your workflow tied into Git if you'd like, it's pretty easy and then we can make sure that development continues if you get bored.

Thank you so much for posting this and taking the time to help others out. From reading your post and the following comments and responses i was able to get a server up and running in 10 minutes and use the in game Admin menu to control the server. Let's my friends and i play the game how we want when we want. My main issue was in my Google Fiber Modem i had not set Game, Query, And Rcon ports to a single TCP\UDP Port Forward to allow my gaming PC on the same network to use NAT Loopback to connect into my own Public IP address.

Again Pointy huge thanks for this!

Hi
And it possible to run the server and play on the same machine, I did it with my server Killing floors 2 but when I run the server the game also starts
Thanks for your help

If I launch server then steam.
when I click sandstorm via steam, it launches insurgencyserver-win64shipping.exe console instead of the game,

if I launch game the server, I cannot see the game in the insurgency game lists?

any help would eb appereciated

Truly awesome, just sending my thanks and appreciation.

@pointy

Hey,

Love the tool, made setting it up very easy. The only request I have is for setting the amount of initial and max equipment supplies.

Great job so far!

Thanks!

good afternoon.

I would like to know when the game will be updated to the new version in February, will you update the program under the game update data?

So, any chance we could get a look at the source code? Like I said, I'd be glad to help get it into GitHub so that it'd be an easy lift for you. If you want to just email me the code in a ZIP, I can get it set up and give your GitHub account owner permissions.

So, any chance we could get a look at the source code? Like I said, I'd be glad to help get it into GitHub so that it'd be an easy lift for you. If you want to just email me the code in a ZIP, I can get it set up and give your GitHub account owner permissions.

This would be a great idea if @Pointy would agree to it

It would at least keep the program alive & add further functionality 🙂