Battle Progression in Skirmish and forcing players into Ranked

Hi,

I wanted to address a little "issue" I'm having with the way the upgrades and skills are locked behind some leveling system.

Half the skills and upgrades (and probably the most powerful or tactically advantageous ones) are locked for a level 1 player and it seems the only way to unlock it is to gain levels. Up until then, this idea seems normal and it is ok.

However, it would seem that you cannot gain levels or any experience playing matches VS the AI. Only by playing against other players. This is a bit strange. The reason we have all ships and the 1,200 points available from the start (unlike in the previous game) was that all players would be in equal footing. However, if a player is placed in a Ranked match against another player that has unlocked those skills and upgrades, even if they are playing the very same faction with the same ships, the higher Ranked player would still have an advantage since he does have access to a greater array of skills and upgrades for his fleet.

I am a player that has more fun playing against the AI than against other players. And I know I am not the only one. However my experience and fun of playing against the AI is being handicapped since I lack access to many of the choices. Thus I am forced to play vs other players in order to unlock them.

Would it be possible to gain experience by playing against the AI? Even if it is only at a slower rate than that of a regular Ranked match it would make the game more enjoyable many players who like playing VS AI.

Offline Mode. It sets your lvl to 99 and unlocks everything.

Not really, portraits are still locked in offline mode. Besides, that also forces me to be offline from steam and that means I cannot invite a friend if I want to do a 2vs2 match.

Also, removing all restrictions vs AI is a cheap way to get past the issue. I prefer to "earn" those unlocks by playing the game. I just think it would be a plus to be able to do so while having fun at the same time rather than having to "endure" PVP matches because there is no other way.

@ashram You can invite friends in Offline mode to play against AI or each other. And if you want to 'earn' them, well you cant do that against AI, its all or half.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

@caliger_reborn How? Going into offline mode in steam signs you off Friends & Chat. Or "going offline" is an option in the game? Because I cannot see it

@ashram I don't question it, but it worked for me. Was able to unlock everything and play against a friend in 'Offline' mode.
It just seems to Lock ranked play.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

@caliger_reborn I was able to do that yesterday, but only when the servers went down.

I really like this admiral levels and fleet development in the first game. I hope they will add the same here. Seting your match witch 1200 point and every option already available is not the same

@caliger_reborn said in Battle Progression in Skirmish and forcing players into Ranked:

Offline Mode. It sets your lvl to 99 and unlocks everything.

...Which all goes away once you sign in.

We shouldn't have to go offline to fix a poor design decision, Tindalos should just kill the requirement. Besides, as @Ashram says, it flies directly in the face of their logic about making things equal between new players and veteran players.

The whole reason we have these unlocks is to not overwhelm new players.

Allow us to unlock them against AI (as we do in MP), as this allows players to practice against the AI and not be gimped when they jump into MP games.

@bosie said in Battle Progression in Skirmish and forcing players into Ranked:

The whole reason we have these unlocks is to not overwhelm new players.

Allow us to unlock them against AI (as we do in MP), as this allows players to practice against the AI and not be gimped when they jump into MP games.

^ This 🙂

I agree, just give lower rewards for the AI (As it is easier to beat than players) and it should be fine. New players are quite disadvantaged by having the best and most faction defining upgrades at the end of the unlocks.

The real solution for multiplayer balance is to have the strongest upgrades available right away. Anything else short of removing progression entirely is going to end up with veteran players thrashing beginners because they have better fleets AND more experience.

Upgrade power differential is all over the place, seems like they were all made by a bunch of different people with little thought to balance.
Either upgrades are almost useless, meh or absolutely game defining.

Needs a better system that is fair and has some semblance of balance (e.g each upgrade costs 'points' to field out of 100, allowing you to pick a bunch of weak ones, or just 1 or two strong ones.)

Yeah I call bullshit on not overwhelming new players. New players aren't going to learn when many of the factions are dependant on certain upgrades to even be competitive in the first place.

Honestly you should never be forced to pay MP it should just be another option sure it could have faster levelling and sorry but new payers will get beaten black and blue anyway experience is not unlocked and then you you have played MP more you have those other options to beat them black and blue, overall levelling should be available in both mods simple as that just a little thing called player choice simple as that.

this is a MP beta of sorts my monies on they are trying to push people into ranked play for whatever server stats they want or need.

Well, I just tried to activate "Offline Mode" by going offline on Steam, turns out that didn't work. The game loaded as normal despite me being logged off Friends & Chat and half the skills and upgrades were locked.

Does anyone know how to go into "offline mode"?

@ashram is it not the steam button on the top left of the steam browser then the go offline button then launch the game?

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.